Tuesday, December 5, 2023

The Citrus Tree


I'm going to tell an embarrassing story.

You know how I like to rescue plants, right? I often see houseplants in someone's trash bin or yard waste bag and I bring them home and adopt them. We've obtained a whole jungle full of plants that way.

Well, the other day, I took things a step too far.

A little citrus tree was sitting in a pot in the hedge of an apartment building down the street. It didn't seem to be attached to any particular apartment -- it was in the general green space around the building. I've had my eye on it for a while, wondering what its erstwhile owner would do when the weather got cold. (Citrus trees can tolerate a light freeze but anything else will damage or kill them.)

Basically, the owner did nothing. And last Thursday, when we were supposed to get freezing temperatures that night, I impulsively reached into the hedge, extracted the citrus tree and brought it home. This occasioned much hilarity from Dave, who went around telling everyone I was a plant thief.

For the next three nights, when we had heavy frost, I kept the tree indoors by our dining room window. But I hadn't really thought any of this through -- I was simply trying to protect it. What should happen next?

I could have just kept the tree. I am 98 percent sure no one would ever miss it. But I also knew if I did that, I'd feel guilty every time I looked at it. I had stolen it. Let's be honest.

I tried to knock on the door of the ground-floor apartment and tell them that I had the tree. I thought there was a good chance they might give it to me, or at least point me to the correct owner. But no one answered the door the few times I knocked.

Or, once the immediate danger of a freeze had passed, I could return the tree.

I stewed about this quandary. I hated to put the tree back where it would almost certainly be damaged if not die when temperatures dropped again, but there was a chance -- a tiny, tiny chance -- that its owner was actually missing it. Why did I assume that same owner wasn't capable of protecting it themselves? After all, it looked perfectly healthy.

So that's what I did. On Sunday I carried the tree back to the apartments -- in broad daylight, because although my behavior was morally ambiguous I'm not skulking around in the dark of night here -- and plunked it back in the hedge. We'll see what happens next.


Here's my newest Florida Memory postcard, and maybe the last one, assuming my mystery sender is doing this for a calendar year. It's a film still from "The Creature from the Black Lagoon," a 1954 monster movie that was filmed at Wakulla Springs. As Florida photos go I think it's a bit of a bust, because it doesn't really show any scenery, but hey -- you can't look a gift horse (or monster) in the mouth.

(Top photo: Hostas and hydrangeas near our back garden bench.)

30 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

See! I told you that it was your brother who was sending you those cards. Now the picture proves it!

Andrew said...

I've seen children who I think should be taken away from their parents and given a better upbringing. Over many years, unless there has been child abuse, my thought of giving them a better upbringing has been wrong. Their upbringing might not be what we think it should be, but as long as they are loved...

Linda Sue said...

Lemon tree deserves you , get it!

Tasker Dunham said...

I bet this will not be the first time you take the tree home.

Moving with Mitchell said...

The mysterious postcards are entertaining. I just knew your plant “rescues” would lead to a life of crime.

Bob said...

This:

"I impulsively reached into the hedge, extracted the citrus tree and brought it home."

... is an admission of guilt.
Still, I would have gone back in the dark of night to return it!

The Bug said...

I disagree - that postcard is VERY Florida to me. Ha!

I love that you stole the tree & then gave it back. And I expect more shenanigans from you if there's another freeze warning. :)

Colette said...

If I was that actor in "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" I would have been terrified that an alligator would have mistaken me for it's mortal enemy.

Ms. Moon said...

Oh, Steve. You cannot save all the plants. I'm so sorry.
This is a great story, though. You are one in a million!
We here in the Tallahassee area are very proud of our creature from the black lagoon. Wakulla Springs is another place you have to visit with me if you come this way again.

gz said...

Did you leave a note about caring for the lemon tree?

Michael said...

I wish you would have kept it as you would have given it a better life! But I understand about the whole guilty conscience thing!

Ellen D. said...

I wonder why you want to save all of the plants, Steve? Have you always felt this way about plants?

Marcia LaRue said...

I think you need to go back to where the citrus tree is, locate the owner of said tree, and ask if they are going to take care of it or see if they will relinquish the tree to you! At least that would alleviate the guilt of the earlier treenapping!
Good luck!

Ed said...

It is common enough here that people sit things out near the curb for others to take before the city disposes of it so I wouldn't be really sore about a potted citrus tree disappearing. In fact, I always admonish my kids to make sure all their bicycles and stuff are left in the garage and not anywhere near the street lest someone claims it for themselves.

If you lived nearer, I would give you a potted lemon tree that a patient gave to my spouse that is not taking up more than it's share of our living room. My wife doesn't have a green thumb when it comes to houseplants so its days are likely numbered.

Debby said...

Oh, Steve. I would have left a Christmas card tied to the tree, letting them know where the tree was and why it was there. You can't help being you, can you? I love this.

ellen abbott said...

I wonder if Dave hadn't gone around telling everyone you're a plant thief if you would have felt guilty about taking the tree. and really, why would someone put a potted lemon tree in a hedge if they cared about it.

Red said...

Between a rock and a hard place describes this situation well. Now you won't feel guilty the rest of your life.

Allison said...

It's surprising to me that citrus grows in London at all.

Margaret said...

I think that was very thoughtful of you and not embarrassing at all!

Susan said...

You are the ultimate plant rescue guy! If the tree was near the street it was likely headed to the bin. You can keep your eye on it and it just might be yours again. The Florida monster is new to me. That said, once in England, my son wanted to look for the Loch Ness Monster. Nessie was nowhere to be found but the countryside and views were fabulous.

37paddington said...

Not a plant thief, a plant savior!

Boud said...

I have a feeling this plant might find herself in your living room again at some point.

jenny_o said...

"...because although my behavior was morally ambiguous I'm not skulking around in the dark of night..."

OMG, I laughed at that!!

Our consciences generally tell us the right thing to do. Sometimes we just need some time to think about alternative explanations for questionable situations and allow us to hear the little voices in our heads.

Or, you could have read the situation right to begin with. If I were you, I would keep an eye out and try knocking on their door again.

jenny_o said...

Let me just add that I was laughing in sympathy, as I've done some things - and then tried to undo them - that embarrass me now too!

Kelly said...

Steve... you are so honest!! (and that is a GOOD thing!)

I remember my brother doing a model of The Creature from the Black Lagoon back in the 60s. Do kids even build models like that anymore??

Catalyst said...

I'll bet you're the kid who was stealing all the oranges from his neighbors' trees back in Florida. I'm telling!

sparklingmerlot said...

I think you should report them to the RSPCP.

River said...

I like that postcard. I think you should keep watch on the tree and if it continues to look neglected or maybe failing, you could rescue it again.

Steve Reed said...

YP: He dug up an old picture of me swimming in our lake!

Andrew: I'm not sure a citrus tree and a child are a fair equation, but I take your point. :)

Linda Sue: Actually it's a mandarin orange, according to my plant app.

Tasker: You are very perceptive. In fact your prediction has already been proven true!

Mitchell: God, I hope I don't get tangled up in anything like this again. LOL

Bob: If I don't treat it like a crime, it isn't one!

Bug: Yeah, you all know me too well.

Colette: I know! It does seem rather risky! Maybe the film crew had a person on staff dedicated to scaring gators away.

Ms Moon: I would love to see Wakulla Springs one of these days. In fact it amazes me that I've never been. I just never spent much time in the Panhandle.

GZ: That seems almost more obnoxious than just taking the tree -- giving them instructions! :)

Michael: I went back for it a few days later.

Ellen D: My mom used to tell a story about a car trip where as a toddler, I saw plants wilting in the median, and I cried because I couldn't get out and water them!

Marcia: I just couldn't figure out what to say that wouldn't sound like an accusation!

Ed: Put it on Freecycle! Someone will take it!

Debby: Oh, that's a nice idea. That would have conveyed the message in a kind way.

Ellen: Well, EXACTLY. That's what makes me think it's really not wanted.

Red: Well, I went back for it, so now I might! :)

Allison: It doesn't grow well. Only in pots so it can be protected in the winter.

Margaret: Well, thank you. I really WAS just trying to look out for the tree.

Susan: I have since reclaimed it! "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" was never touted as a REAL monster, unlike Nessie.

37P: Yes! It's all in the perception! Tell it to the judge! LOL

Boud: It's already happened!

Jenny-O: I've gone back to my initial belief that the tree wasn't really wanted. I just don't see why someone would have put it where they did otherwise.

Kelly: Yeah, I don't know! I haven't heard of kids building models in ages. The experts probably wouldn't want them near the glue nowadays.

Catalyst: Ha! Honestly, we had our own orange and grapefruit trees, with more fruit than we could ever eat.

Caro: First I need to start the RSPCP!

River: I could have done, but it was getting cold again and I felt like I was in a race against time. So I adopted it!

Jeanie said...

That's a dilemma. I'm not sure what I would have done, either. But if it's still there in another week (and living) I might reclaim it!