Monday, December 25, 2023

Holly's Collar


It was blowing a gale out there yesterday, with wind gusts up to 40 mph and spattering rain. Fortunately it wasn't very cold -- about 58º F (or 14.4º C). Olga wasn't much interested in walking, so I took a long walk on my own westward along the beach, trudging over the shingle with the wind whipping my scarf furiously.

My legs got a workout, that's for sure. As some of you have mentioned in comments, walking on shingle -- as this sort of pebbly beach is known -- is not easy! By the time I got past Pevensey Bay town I was concerned about the state of my shoes and figured I'd come back via the coast road.

First I popped into town to buy a couple of last-minute items -- Dave wanted a few more potatoes, I wanted some apples, and we needed paper towels. I also went to the local bakery and picked up some shortbread Christmas cookies, which are so thick they're practically Christmas cakes!


They're cute, but they're not my favorite thing.


A couple of days ago, I found this dog collar sitting on a wall near our cottage. It had a phone number on it so I called the owner and told her more or less where it was. Well, yesterday the collar was still sitting there, so either I wasn't specific enough in my directions or she wasn't motivated enough to collect it. Poor Holly, still collarless.


I also found, on my beach odyssey, an almost perfectly spherical white rock about the size of a ping-pong ball. I couldn't resist picking it up as a souvenir. It's like a miniature version of the moon.

I got back to the house around lunchtime and spent the afternoon reading. It's so great being here, with only the sounds of the wind and the waves -- no Russians pounding and sawing upstairs (or playing video games or practicing the piano), no sirens, no distractions.


Last night we made cocktails and Dave even got the fireplace going. Olga looks exasperated by the whole affair -- I'm reminded of the phrase "hangdog expression" -- but it was actually quite easy. We tried to Zoom with his family but his sisters didn't show up, so we're not sure whether they were confused about the day or what. We talked to his parents, though.

I'll text my brother later today. It's strange to think this is the first Christmas without our mom. Because she'd been ill with dementia for several years before she died in July, I guess she felt absent (to me) even if she physically wasn't. As I've said before, that slow departure seemed to spare me a lot of grief, or at least spread it out over time.

Dave has plans for beef bourguignon for our Christmas dinner, and maybe we'll watch "Maestro," Bradley Cooper's movie about Leonard Bernstein. Otherwise there will be more reading and more windy walks!

Merry Christmas, blog readers!

21 comments:

gz said...

Glad you managed a walk..though with 40mph on the coast you feel the full strength of the wind!
More like shortbread than cookies.?

That is a good wee stove..you should be toasty in no time! (But move that basket further away...please!)

Frances said...

You will be very cosy with that woodburner going! Have a lovely day and stay dry. Olga looks as if she is thinking please can we go home!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

That pebble was a great find and a perfect souvenir for Christmas 2023. Olga looks as if she is thinking, "Where are the squirrels?"

Moving with Mitchell said...

That rock is definitely a keeper. Poor Olga. Such a drama queen. Enjoy your days and nights there!

Debby said...

That rock is very cool. Merry Christmas, you two. Maybe once the fire starts putting out heat, Olga will be a bit more enthused. I have never known a dog that did not love basking in front of the fire.

Ms. Moon said...

The expression on Olga's face is truly priceless. Sometimes you just have to wonder what goes on in our pets' heads.
Hope y'all are having a very lovely day there on your own without the constant intrusion of the upstairs neighbors into your aural space.
Peace.

Boud said...

Merry Christmas! I wonder if the time difference caused the absence of sisters? I didn't realize how ever present the Russian neighbors noise is in your life, if a screaming coastal gale is better!

Olga's campaigning for a sandy beach, down with shingle.

Bob said...

Merry Christmas, to you and yours!

ellen abbott said...

sounds wonderful. and I love the mini moon rock. definitely a keeper. just a low key day here.

The Bug said...

That all just sounds lovely. Our day will be low key too. Lunch with Mike's dad, then laundry & puttering in the afternoon.

Sharon said...

Merry Christmas Steve and Dave and Olga.
We had beef bourguignon for Christmas Eve dinner last night and it was delicious. Tonight it will be herb and spice roasted filet.
At this moment though, the fire alarm keeps going off. No smoke that I can see but it was on for quite a while. It finally stopped and now it keeps popping on and off. I've never heard the fire alarm here before. It's a first!

Ellen D. said...

Merry Christmas, Steve, Dave and Olga!

Red said...

Sounds like a quiet peaceful place for a holiday as far as humans are concerned but a little wild for weather.

Marcia LaRue said...

Wishing you a peaceful and quiet end to 2023 and hope we can have a New Year filled with the same: peace and quiet!!!
Olga looks like a bored teenager!

Kelly said...

I like the last photo and wouldn't mind being a part of that scene. It looks cozy.

I love shortbread and it's easy to make vegan. In fact, I made a batch of vegan "pecan sandies" yesterday.

37paddington said...

I love British TV shows and movies, and your pictures look like the set of so many of them, they almost don't seem like real life, but rather a romanticized version of it, especially with that cozy fire Dave made.

sparklingmerlot said...

Windy winter walks on a beach are the best. I went to boarding school in Littlehampton briefly in the 60s and remember those shingle beaches.
Your Christmas dinner sounds delicious. And no Russians. Bonus.

River said...

I think if you just pushed a small seat under Dave's butt he'd be happy right there by the fire all night.

Margaret said...

We have many pebbly/rocky beaches here in WA and they are ankle breakers! Walking would be hard work indeed. I would demolish those cookies being a big fan of shortbread. It sounds like a wonderful stay for Dave and you and a quiet respite from your neighbors. :)

Steve Reed said...

GZ: Ha! The basket actually isn't that close -- a trick of perspective, I think? (Or maybe Dave momentarily moved it?)

Frances: She probably is. Humans love taking their pets on vacation but I'm not sure the pets always like it.

YP: And it was the right price! (Unless you factor in the rental of our cabin.)

Mitchell: She IS a drama queen.

Debby: She never got down in front of it, though she might have if she had a rug. (Or her dog bed!)

Ms Moon: I don't always realize how much noise we live with in London until we're away from it!

Boud: I think you're right -- Olga would much prefer sand.

Bob: Thank you!

Ellen: Low-key is good!

Bug: Laundry on Christmas day?! That just sounds wrong, even to me.

Sharon: Yikes! I hope there's not some emergency brewing! Maybe someone burned the turkey.

Ellen D: Thanks and same to you!

Red: It IS wild, but we knew that. It's partly why we wanted to be here at this time of year.

Marcia: HA! "Geez, Dad, quit with the photos already!"

Kelly: It IS cozy. I used to love pecan sandies! Especially with milk!

37P: A fire makes anything romantic!

Caro: Yes! I love a windy, wintry beach!

River: Ha! Yeah, Dave loves a fireplace. I think it's one of the things he misses most about our current flat. We have two fireplaces but neither of them work.

Margaret: I like a shortbread cookie but these are so weirdly thick. They just don't seem right. I ate them, though!

Jeanie said...

Your Christmas spot looks idyllic with that fire and knowing you were going to have beef b. and those wonderful looking cookies. Maybe Holly died near that point and that is her memorial? Probably not. Probably just lost her collar, but how does a dog lose her collar?