Thursday, December 7, 2023

Misdemeanant


Yesterday morning, bright and early, I got myself out the door to go to work. I gave myself plenty of time, so I could walk and listen to my "Q-Anon Anonymous" podcast (which analyzes and challenges the insane conspiracy theories of the far right, and which I love). I arrived at work refreshed and exercised and I was just putting my day in order when I got a phone call.

It was the contractor who's supposed to finish our bathroom renovation. Remember how we still had that unpainted wall in the hallway, the damp one that's had six months to dry out? Well, he was here to finally paint it. I had completely forgotten he was coming. He was supposed to arrive before I left for work but he got held up by traffic.

So I had to race home and let him in the flat, and then race back to work. More excitement than necessary on a Wednesday -- or any day, really.

But the good news is, he's now finishing the job, and it should be done by Friday.

I'm also getting more things fixed around here. The zipper on my winter jacket broke the other day, so I dug out my old winter jacket only to remember that it had a four- or five-inch tear across the back. (Probably something I did gardening, or swashbuckling through the brush on Hampstead Heath with Olga.) Months ago I'd considered throwing it out -- in fact I'd actually put it in the trash can -- but I pulled it out again on the slim chance I might need it. And here was that slim chance. I wore the torn one while I got the zipper on my normal jacket repaired, and then switched to that one and left the torn one to be sewn up. Long story short, I will soon have two functional jackets.

Also, the sound system on our TV died some time ago, and I finally arranged with Bose to send it back for repair. It's out of warranty and will cost £79 to fix, but I'd rather keep it working than buy a new one. The world does not need our Bose sound system in a landfill -- at least, not yet. (Meanwhile we've been using our TV with its inbuilt sound, which is tinny and unsatisfying.)



The one upside of having to come home yesterday morning is that it gave me a chance to grab the citrus tree. Yes, you all talked me into it, and if I get charged with a misdemeanor* it will be YOUR FAULT.

Seriously, the more I thought about the situation, the more certain I am that whoever owns that plant was inviting me (or someone) to take it. I can't see why else they'd have left it where they did. If they wanted to keep it warm they'd have moved it closer to the building, not closer to the street. (Or they'd have brought it inside.)

I'm definitely rationalizing, but anyway, it's done now. As Dave said, because he was sick of hearing me argue with myself about the ethics of the situation: "Whatever you do, make a decision and STICK TO IT."

So I have.

*By the way, did you know that someone charged with a misdemeanor is known as a "misdemeanant"? I've never heard this word, but I looked it up, because I knew I wouldn't be a felon and I wondered what the counterpart would be for a minor crime. There you have it!

(Top photo: In Chiswick, a couple of weekends ago.)

32 comments:

Andrew said...

You should say that you were caught, fined and start a crowd fundraiser to pay your fine. Pocket the money of course. To use the London slang, you are a petty tea leaf 😉.

gz said...

Certainly an eventful, and thankfully successful day!

Looking at your photo.. isn't it depressing with all the closed shops around. So sad, not just a business gone with each one...but employees without jobs, and the other second tier businesses relying on them....bus companies, bakeries and coffee shops to start with....

Linda Sue said...

Whew , crazy day for you. Pleased about the tree! Do not put tea or coffee grounds in its soil, Dennis killed my lemon tree that way, he thought it would boost the soil… nope..congratulations, you are now the dad . Tree is so grateful.,it must be hearty to have made it through previous neglect !

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Being kind to the environment should involve a reluctance to buy new things but it seems to me that many electrical items are not designed to be repaired. By the way, you are lucky that I am writing this comment as I don't normally associate with misdemeanants.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Me. Meanant! I like it. I’ll bail you out.

Ed said...

I'm not sure I could bring myself to listen to a podcast of conspiracy theories, especially political ones, when there are so many great podcasts out there to listen too.

Are you sure there isn't a plot by the far right to imbed tracking/listening devices into citrus trees and leave them around the city to migrate to liberal minded households?

Michael said...

I am so pleased that you took the tree! What a crazy morning you had...you sure got your exercise!

Bob said...

Hopefully the Citrus Tree Police are busy this time of year and won't have time to come for you.😁

Ms. Moon said...

Well, then. You have done it! And that little tree will become your favorite plant child with such a backstory. Good for you!

Marcia LaRue said...

Bravo! 👏 You saw the need and acted on it! That is a healthy looking little tree!
The rest of your day was just more of the usual stuff for you!
Enjoy your Thursday!!

Susan said...

Why do repairs come in multiples? One every couple months would be fine but two or more in a week is no fun. On the upside, the tree looks terrific and when it flowers you will enjoy a lovely scent. If anybody questions the lemon tree finding a new home, you are assured of a majority vote here dictating a new home for the little tree. The tree really adds to your decor!

Red said...

Your title was a mystery. So while reading your post I forgot about it. The ending of your post really hit me. Nice post.

Sharon said...

I've learned a new word today! Thank you very much.
One thing is certain, that tree is in safe hands now!

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you got the tree -- it's a lot bigger than I thought it was! I can envision you carrying it home! And three cheers on wrapping up the bathroom this week! YAY!

Thanks (as always!) for coming by! Cheers!

The Padre said...

No Way , The Bose System Here Also Recently Died - So Bummed - Also, I Totally Forgot About Your Bathroom Situation - Damn, Wish I Lived Near By As That Job Would Have Been Wrapped Up Long Ago - However, With All The Olga Girl Time, Might Have Taken Me Just As Long - But It Would Have Cost You Half The Price - Well, Would Have Made Up For That Cost In Just Because Dog Treats

Stay Brilliant ,
Cheers

The Bug said...

Yay for the lemon tree!

Jim Davis said...

I knew you were going to take that tree.

Allison said...

You're a tree-napper! The tree thanks you for that.

Kelly said...

I'm glad you brought it home. It will have a happy life with you and hopefully reward you for it.

Debby said...

We will all keep your criminal activities to ourselves. And when you are incarcerated, we will bake you a lemon cake with a file in it. Orange you happy you have us?

Boud said...

Ah, your new signature song Play Misty(meanant) for me!

You have a place to get zippers replaced and rips stitched? Tell us more. In my group that's me.

Tasker Dunham said...

Told you.

Colette said...

I'm happy for the tree, and for you. It would almost be worth it to be caught so you can use the word misdemeanant in another blog post. Good word!

Debby said...

You have a perfect defense: Everyone knows a (misdemean) ant can't move a citrus tree plant.

Fresca said...

I truly was looking forward to checking your blog today to see what you decided .
If I’d placed a bet, I would have won because it’s a very ‘you’ thing to do.
(Do you see yourself in plant waifs, far from their warm homes?)

Fresca said...

😄

jenny_o said...

I laughed at "swashbuckling through the brush" - lol! That little tree looks in quite good shape in the photo. I hope it thrives (and think it will) in your capable hands :) Nice to hear your painting is finally getting done, too.

sparklingmerlot said...

When the tree fruits you could always leave some on the wall to show it survived.

Catalyst said...

Your "hot" Christmas tree looks very healthy. Kudos to your criminal skills! (I'll be happy to write you in gaol.)

Margaret said...

That's a cool word and the tree is beautiful! After finally deciding to listen to Xmas music after years of not, I discovered that my 30+ CD player had died. Now I need to make a decision about how to replace it as it's part of a console stereo. Remember those?

River said...

Two functioning jackts are better than none.
I'm glad you took the tree, it will be safe and thrive now.

ellen abbott said...

I'm sure the tree is happier with you.