Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Shells, Sunshine and the Sovereign


Before anything else, let me just say that I hope I didn't sound like I was sneering at trailer parks in yesterday's post. Some of my best friends (and Dave's parents!) live in mobile homes and I didn't mean to be snide about them. I only meant that, in a real estate context, having a large historic house surrounded by a trailer park would count against its value. I think most real estate agents would agree with me on that. So mea culpa if what I wrote sounded otherwise.

ANYWAY...

Let's talk about yesterday! The weather was MUCH better than it was on Christmas. In fact for a brief time in the morning, we even had sunlight streaming in through our windows, which made Olga happy.



Doesn't she look blissed out?

In late morning I took a long walk down the beach to Normans Bay -- without Olga, she of the pebble-sensitive feet. I spent a lot of time beachcombing, which has to be one of my favorite things to do. It combines my enthusiasm for finding things with being outside and on the water.


This is the kind of stuff I find here -- cockles, boat shells, scallops, winkles, mussels, whelks and colorful rocks. Very North Atlantic, though some of these critters can also be found in Florida.


I threw all those shells back, but I did keep this one, a curious bit of oyster shell (I think?) that the sea has carved and smoothed into the perfect shape of a baby's ear. It seemed like such a rare and delicate creation.


Here's a little video I took near Martello Tower No. 55, now a private home. You'll see the tower and shingle beach, an iridescent jingle shell I found, and the low sun over the water. This was taken right around noon, so that's about as high as the sun gets at this time of year. (You can hear some kids shouting toward the end -- there was virtually no one on the beach but I had the bad judgment to make my video with a family standing not too far behind me!)

I walked back partly along the coast road to give my feet a break. Remember how I said I was concerned about the effect of the shingle on my shoes? Well, indeed, part of the sole has come away from the upper on one shoe and both have serious wear. I guess I need to get some decent wellies, which is what I see most people wearing out there.


This picture doesn't look like much, but it was hard to take! That's the remains of the Royal Sovereign Lighthouse, which until recently stood on a shoal almost 7 miles offshore. There used to be a large platform atop that column with the lighthouse perched on it, but the whole thing is being dismantled. The lighthouse portion has been brought ashore and will become part of a beachfront park; the platform was also taken down. So all that's left now is that lonely support column, which will be removed next year.

We have a spyglass in our cottage, which allows us to look out at the water. I took this photo by carefully positioning my iPhone camera at the lens of the spyglass. It was a pain in the neck and it took many tries before I got a usable photo. You're welcome! I wish I'd thought to do this during our visit in July, when the lighthouse was still intact. The platform was so weird-looking. Dave and I initially thought it was an oil rig.

Speaking of Dave, our plans are changing here at Stone's Throw cottage. Dave has to return to London today for a long-scheduled routine infusion of drugs to treat his Crohn's. He tried to postpone it but if he did, they wouldn't be able to get him in again until February, which is too long to wait for his medication. He's decided rather than travel up and back again, he's going to simply stay in London. So he's leaving this morning and taking our big suitcase home, and Olga and I will spend the next two nights here at Stone's Throw by ourselves before heading home on Friday.

26 comments:

gz said...

Hope it goes well for Dave.

Apparently photographing through a spyglass is the best way to get a good image of the moon.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

1. I have just had a close look at my baby granddaughter's ears and they look nothing like that shell!
2. Were the kids further up the beach yelling, "Yanks Go Home!"
3. What was the issue with the family standing behind you? Did it just mean you couldn't wheel around to get a full 360 degree video?
4. I can't think of anything else.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I’ve done those spy glass (telescope) photos, too. Lots of work nbut sometimes worth the effort. I hope no one was offended by your trailer park comment. I got exactly what you meant. My sweetheart Susan lived in a “modular home park.” Sorry Dave had to cut the vacation short. Enjoy the final couple of days.

Bob said...

As someone who, while not being born in a trailer park, was taken home soon after my birth to a trailer park, I completely got your meaning.
And that's why I said I wouldn't like that tower, being surrounded by trailers.

Ms. Moon said...

Oh, I liked the sound of the kids' voices in the video. That made it all the more beach-like.
The nacre of that shell is so pretty. Iridescent in the light.
I am quite impressed with your spyglass photo! How thoughtful of the hosts to have one there.
Hey! I lived in a trailer. I had a baby in a trailer. I sort of loved that trailer. It was fine shelter. But no, not very high class.

ellen abbott said...

I hope Dave's treatment goes well but it's a shame he'll miss the last few days there.

no worries about your trailer park reference. are they trailers though as in movable or permanent manufactured homes?

Sharon said...

I enjoyed that video. It makes me long for a walk on the beach. You found a wonderful assortment of shells and stones. That's more than I've ever found on the beach in California.

Marcia LaRue said...

A blissed out Olga is a sight to see! Enjoy your last two days on your own and with your favorite girl!!

Ellen D. said...

We had a friend for dinner last night that was talking about his medications for Crohn's disease. Thank goodness doctors have something to help and I'm glad Dave can get home for his infusion. You and Olga will enjoy your quiet days. Would she wear little dog boots to walk on the beach?

Red said...

You found some interesting stuff on the beach. You may have had kids noise on the video but I don't think I saw any people in your photos.

Boud said...

I'm sorry Dave has to cut short his vacation, but I guess his health management has to take priority. And how wise of you to just stay on with Olga, she grumbling about shingle and you collecting shells. I don't like sitting on beaches but I do love a walk by the water collecting interesting stuff.

Susan said...

Walking the beach and finding interesting shells is always fun. The views out to sea and the sound of the surf is wonderful. Loved your video. A pair of Wellies will be good to have.

Margaret said...

I didn't know there was infusion medication for Crohn's. That's great! Hope the weather is nice for the rest of your stay. Love the sun coming in the window and Olga's expression.

Allison said...

I am currently living in a tiny trailer park. Down the street is the trailer park containing full size trailers. I did not take any offense what so ever. Olga does love some solar radiation, she looks totally blissed out.

Jim Davis said...

No worries on the "trailer park" comment. As Allison said, we're in our winter home which is what's called a park model. It's a manufactured home located in the RV resort in Tucson where we have spent winters for years. Gated community, 24 hour security, we can lock it up & leave in the spring and not worry about it while we're back in Washington. So if someone wants to call it a trailer park, have at it! :) Sorry about Dave's early departure. Gotta love that picture of Olga, that's a truly happy dog!

Kelly said...

I've known (and still know) plenty of folks who live in trailers, but didn't take your comment derogatorily. Of course living in the southern US, my first thought about trailers is their incompatibility with tornadoes. 😱

I'm sorry Dave had to cut the trip short. I hope his treatment goes well and that you and Olga enjoy the remainder of your stay. She sure looks content in that photo!

The Bug said...

Thank you for that video - Olga wasn't the only one blissing out. And you've taken your fabulous vacation up to the next level, getting to spend all that time ALONE (sorry Dave). Ha!

John Going Gently said...

A lovely shot of olga in the light

Catalyst said...

Wonderful video. That is such an English seascape.

sparklingmerlot said...

The sound of children on a beach in winter - just lovely.

I am sorry Dave has to leave early but the ramifications of not would be too horrible to consider.

We have drilling rigs on the horizon here. I shall see if I can get a photo.

Janie Junebug said...

I'm sorry Dave has to leave early. I didn't think you were sneering at trailer parks. It's odd to have such an unusual home in the middle of a trailer parke--that's all. Olga looks so happy in the sun.

Love,
Janie

Debby said...

Thank you for the sound of the ocean and the basking dog. I love to collect along the beach, and rarely get a chance to do it.

jenny_o said...

You've gotten some extra-good shots of Olga lately. My favourite is from a few days ago when she was sitting on your foot :D Too bad Dave has to cut short his stay but sometimes life happens. Maybe you both like a bit of solitude, as well, and those times can be hard to find, so . . . maybe a plus, in a way? I love the beach in the off-season (i.e., when it's not Hell-hot) and looking for whatever the water has washed up. Your finds are beautiful. (And I spent part of my childhood living in a trailer, although not a trailer park, and didn't think anything of your comment!)

River said...

Olga does look blissed out. I love the shells particularly the iridescent one. And I love hearing the sound of the ocean.
I also didn't know there was an infusion to help with Crohn's.

Steve Reed said...

GZ: Hmmmm...I'll stick with my zoom lens. (Which I unfortunately don't have on this trip!)

YP: 1. Poetic license!
2. Maybe.
3. Yes.

Mitchell: I've never heard "modular home park." Funny! I love euphemisms.

Bob: Having personal experience of the situation entitles you to any remarks you wish to make! :)

Ms Moon: Nacre! Good word! I had to look it up!

Ellen: They're probably pretty stationary but I suppose they COULD be moved.

Sharon: Yeah, California's not great for shells, as I recall.

Marcia: She was so happy. She loves sun.

Ellen D: I'm not sure she'd like things on her feet.

Red: There are a couple of distant people but yeah, the beach is pretty empty at this time of year.

Boud: I agree. I am not a sit (or lie) on the beach kind of person.

Susan: I really should get some. They'd be great for muddy dog walks, too!

Margaret: Yes! Dave takes some pills too but the main med comes every six weeks through infusion.

Allison: I'm glad. It was only hours later that I thought, "Hey, people might misread that!"

Jim: I imagine these "trailers" are similar -- holiday or summer homes. And as you said, they do have some advantages!

Kelly: Oh, I remember that incompatibility well from my years in Florida. And don't even mention hurricanes!

Bug: Yeah, I do love some alone time and it's rare!

John: She was so happy, soaking it in!

Catalyst: It is indeed! Just what you'd imagine on a wintry beach in England.

Caro: Really?! I didn't know there was any oil drilling in Australia. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though.

Janie: Exactly! The incongruity of the structures -- that's what I was getting at.

Debby: It's my favorite thing to do on good-weather days.

Jenny-O: Yeah, I love alone time, and it's rare! I'm glad no one was offended by my trailer remark. Guess I was just having some "proofreader's paranoia"!

River: There are several different types of infusions, as I understand it. Dave also takes daily meds in pill form.

Jeanie said...

I'm sorry to hear your plans were changed. But I would do the same. Too long to wait. What fun beachcombing finds. I haven't done that in ages and it looks fun. Olga looks estatically happy.