Saturday, July 20, 2024

Photos from Elton and David, and a Pumpkin


I went to the Victoria & Albert Museum in Kensington yesterday for a dose of culture. They've mounted a show of photography collected by Elton John and his husband David Furnish, with photos from fashion to portraits to journalism taken by many well-known photographers. It's a HUGE show, and it took me a couple of hours to get through, but it was fascinating and I bought the catalog afterwards.

Before I even got in, though, I had some challenges. I hadn't pre-booked a ticket because the V&A specifically says on its web site that pre-booking isn't necessary. Maybe they just meant for the museum in general, but anyway, when I got there I was unable to buy a ticket with my debit card because their "systems were down." They suggested I do it online, but that didn't work either. I made my way to an ATM a few blocks away and withdrew cash, which I used to pay for my ticket -- and I had to round up with a small donation because the museum couldn't give me change. The whole thing was a kerfuffle, and of course I realized later that it was part of yesterday's worldwide collapse of computer systems related to that CrowdStrike update.

I had to laugh because wasn't I just saying how much I love our cashless society? Like any technology, it's all great as long as it works!


I made my way through the show and had lunch in one of the museum's cafes, a very mod structure in their entrance courtyard. Then I went to a second (and much smaller) show on tropical modernism, a look at mid-century modern architecture in Ghana and India and other places overseas. I remembered seeing some of those structures when I traveled in Ghana 30 years ago. Lots of clean lines and breeze blocks (or "brise soleil," a term I did not know).

I was stunned to see the Bolgatanga Library included in the show. I traveled through Bolgatanga, which I remember as a dusty, hot way station on the road from Burkina Faso to Kumasi. As I recall there was a whole lot of nothing. I had no idea it had an architecturally significant library. Guess I missed my chance to check that out!


After I left the museum I walked across Kensington Gardens to see this year's Serpentine Pavilion, by Minsuk Cho. It's an interesting structure -- a collection of structures, really -- that includes a soundscape, a play area, a cafe and a library clustered around a circular patio. The light and shadow effects were very cool. When we lived in Notting Hill I used to check out each summer's Serpentine Pavilion with Olga but some years I miss it now, so I was glad to catch this one.


Finally, I visited Yayoi Kusama's gigantic "Pumpkin" on the grass near the Round Pond in Kensington Gardens. Surreal and kind of like a spaceship or big alien pod, but also beautiful, colorful and shiny.

I grabbed a coffee at a cafe near Kensington Palace and sat on the grass watching other overheated pedestrians and runners. (Yesterday was the UK's warmest day so far this year, with temperatures of almost 90º F -- 31.9º C, to be exact.) Then I made my way to the bus stop at Notting Hill Gate and began a long, tedious bus ride home. It wasn't helped by the fact that the bus was packed, stuffy and SLOW. When we got to West Hampstead some guy got so frustrated by the motionless traffic that he hit the emergency button to open the doors, and a bunch of us seized the opportunity to get off between stops. I didn't even know that button existed.

Oh, another peculiar public transport experience yesterday -- I saw a man on the tube carrying a pet carrier, a soft-sided shoulder bag with a dog's head protruding. Only, this was a toy dog, a stuffed animal. I thought perhaps he'd just bought it, but then it would have been in a shop bag, not a pet carrier. Does he take it with him everywhere? Is he mourning the loss of a real dog, or is he trying to figure out whether he wants a dog -- kind of like school kids tasked with carrying around bags of sugar to see what it's like to have a baby? So many questions.

22 comments:

  1. I like the big spotted pumpkin. I had no idea Elton John and his partner were photographers too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How good for you to have so many things to choose from to do and see. And of course you also need the sensitive and discerning eye that you have. A post like this makes me so sorry that I don't live in London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THE CULTURE VULTURE. This white-headed vulture (Trigonoceps occipitalis) is about 80 cm (31 inches) long and has a wingspan of about 1.8 metres (6 feet). Black with white secondary wing feathers and belly, it has a high black neck fringe and a massive red beak. This unfortunate creature has a uniquely triangular head, which is pale yellowish and bare except for a cap of white down. It is fascinated by all things botanical and random found objects and squawks in a Floridian accent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I know where the origins of Melbourne's Pavilion in our Queen Victoria Gardens. I've never been impressed and by the numbers who visit, few others are either. Fortunately it funded by a philanthropist.

    Australian houses used to be built with 'brise soleil' in mind but not nowadays. There will be a future post about this and what a great foreign phrase to pick up.

    It was challenging enough travelling in South Africa. I can't imagine what it was like in the countries you mentioned.

    I like cashless too, which saves the business money if they go cashless but why do they then whack on a card fee surcharge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin was recently on the tube in London and saw a guy with a pet carrier with a stuffed dog inside! That same cousin has friends who have a Yayoi Kusama original in their garden in Massachusetts. I love her work. She was recently called out for hideously racist statements she made in the early 2000s. She apologized in 2022, but it has sadly tarnished her reputation.

    I would have loved everything about your day (except for the computer systems collapse).

    ReplyDelete
  6. A toy dog in a carrier? Maybe that's the man's "art" installation since yesterday was such an art day""

    ReplyDelete
  7. My gosh, you had quite the eventful day. That photography show sounds great and I don't think I've ever seen that cafe. I've only been to the older, ornate one. The pavilion looks fascinating and I love the pumpkin.
    I saw a post on Instagram about the heat there. It was a sign at a tube station with all the stops renamed to something heat related like Barking turned into Baking and Tottenham turned into Tohotinham. It was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, now you're all cultured and everything! That sounds like a terrific day, a bit packed but good. I wonder about the dog in the bag. Maybe he retrieved a lost toy and had to get it home somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spent most of the global meltdown yesterday harvest root vegetables from our garden and preparing them for storage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Lord! There is always something to do in London, isn't there? You read Sir Elton's memoir, right? Interesting book. Interesting man.
    In regard to the stuffed dog in the carrier, I saw a mother and daughter (could have been a grandmother and granddaughter, I guess) in Publix the other day and the daughter was wearing a tail. A furry tail. It was cleverly attached so that you couldn't see anything but the tail, popping out where a tail should be. I noted it and didn't think much of it but after they checked out in front of me, the cashier and woman bagging groceries were completely freaked. "She was wearing a tail!" they sort of whispered. "Yeah, I saw that," I said. "Kids do crazy things. I know I did." I
    I couldn't figure out why they were so disturbed. Probably due to those fake reports of kids demanding litter boxes in school restrooms due them choosing to be identified as cats.
    I am sure this has nothing to do with the guy you saw with the stuffed dog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so much art! I would like to see the photography exhibit. in fact I'd like to see all of it. when I lived in the city I never really went to exhibits or museums...too busy making art and running my studio and raising two kids. I don't miss living in the city but now that i have time to do that stuff I'm loathe to go there. too much traffic and constant construction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That seems a lot of walking in the heat! You covered some ground, as usual. Fabulous day of art and curiosities, love it! London in the heat is close to unbearable I found. The bus sounds dreadful but the tube would have been worse. Slow agony or faster double agony, tough call.Thank you for the look around in the heat- wroth it!

    stuffed dog may be emotional support.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, we've got you beat, yesterday it was 33.4C I'm done with summer.

    That photo exhibit would have been interesting to see. I always want someone to go with me, because I want to talk about it. I admire that you go alone and enjoy it. Personalities or gender? Or both?

    My favorite thing though is that pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Am I in spam again? Save me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love looking at photography. I didn't realize that Elton and David had an exhibit. Riding the bus isn't my favorite though under any circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Something about that pumpkin makes me think of an octopus. I have no idea why. Your alien pod reference makes more sense!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A day immersed in art sounds outstanding. The bus ride was not so good but you got to where you wanted. 90 degrees is not pleasant; we hit 90 degrees last week in Massachusetts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everybody should go to an art show once in a while. Funny that the internet was on the verge of collapse and you didn't know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. River: Oh, this wasn't photos THEY took -- it's photos they've collected.

    Yael: I do realize how lucky I am to have so many options nearby!

    YP: I'd like to hear a squawk in a Floridian accent.

    Andrew: Yeah, those sunscreens and breeze blocks used to be common in '60s buildings, but they got less popular over time. I guess air conditioning lessened the need to keep the sun out?

    Mitchell: How bizarre! I wonder if it was the same guy? Maybe he's a local character.

    Bob: Yeah, it was sort of performance-art like!

    Sharon: Funny about the tube names! This cafe is in a relatively recently renovated courtyard off Exhibition Road.

    Boud: Maybe, but then how did he have a pet carrier with him? And why not just put it in a bag?

    Ed: That was a very appropriate response to technological meltdown!

    Ms Moon: Yes, you're exactly right. It's just kids being kids and doing kid things. I bet my niece would wear a tail if my brother would allow it. That girl will probably look back in a few years and think, "I can't believe I used to wear that tail everywhere!" LOL!

    Ellen: I find that I have to make time to do it. When it's here all the time, there's a tendency to say, "Oh, I'll go tomorrow." And then tomorrow never comes!

    Linda Sue: It wasn't really a long walk, but it WAS warm! Yeah, it could have been some kind of emotional support...toy? Is that a thing?

    Pixie: I've always enjoyed doing things on my own, because then I can concentrate. If Dave comes I often find myself wondering if he's enjoying it, if he's bored, etc.

    Boud: You are saved! LOL

    Margaret: Yeah, I hope they take it overseas to the states somewhere. It's a great show and well worth seeing.

    Kelly: Oh, I could see that. The ribs DO look like Octopus legs with suckers!

    Susan: Yeah, I don't mind some heat, but getting into the 90s is no fun.

    Red: I know! I couldn't believe I hadn't heard anything up to that point.

    Roentare: Isn't it great! So colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wonder if that show will be there in October -- got to check; I'd love to see it. They were talking about it on All Things Consdered (or some NPR show) a couple of weeks ago. And looking like a lovely time after, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a visual feast you treated us to! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete