Sunday, September 29, 2024

Dahlia Close-Ups


Well, my cold has settled in and this morning I am not feeling so great. But colds are always worse first thing in the morning, when you have to get your body moving again after a long night of sleep. I did sleep last night, at least. I also took a Covid test and that was negative, so as I suspected, it's apparently just a garden variety cold.

Speaking of gardens, ours is still cranking along, even though it's about 45º F (or 7º C) out there right now. It warmed up pretty quickly yesterday morning, and soon Olga and I were sitting out in our usual positions.


To be honest, I would have preferred to stay on the couch but Olga was insistent. And it's not enough for me to put her bed outside -- no, I have to be there too. That dog runs my life.

As you see, the red Gallery Valentin dahlia is still blooming up a storm. Here are some other dahlia close-ups from yesterday:




Have I ever talked about dahlias as much as I have this summer? I don't think so.

I heard from my stepsister in Tampa -- apparently she and my stepmother had no damage from Helene and in fact they didn't even lose power. Whew! I don't mean to minimize damage from the storm, though, which has turned out to be particularly devastating in Appalachia. Not a place you'd normally expect hurricanes. Such a strange world we now live in.

3 comments:

  1. Even a common or garden cold can pull you down. But you can rest Sunday. Olga says.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olga is right..you need fresh air and sunshine...and her company of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how some flower names can also be applied to women - Rose, Lily, Daisy even Hyacinth - but I have never heard of a woman or girl called Dahlia. Maybe plant names could be given to boys - Thistle, Nettle, Hogweed and Pansy.

    ReplyDelete