Monday, September 16, 2024

Hackney


You might recall that another of my goals for the weekend was to get out of the house. After spending all of Saturday on various household tasks, I decided to go yesterday on a photo outing to Hackney, in east London. The weather was beautiful and rather than spend time underground on the tube, I also decided to do all my traveling by bus. That way I got to enjoy the scenery (?) between here and there. Or at least the daylight.

I took a bus down to Baker Street, and then another bus from there to Hackney. (I could have ridden that bus all the way to Hackney Wick, which is even farther east, but I'll save that for another day.)


I got off the bus near Balls Pond Road and walked south past the majestic Empire theater and the town hall.


The cynical among us might see this sticker and think, "Don't we always?"

I headed toward London Fields, a large green park where people were out sunbathing, romping with dogs or climbing on sculptures (top photo). Granted, that particular sculpture -- a pair of flower sellers -- includes benches, so it's meant to be climbed or at least sat upon. I photographed it before, way back in 2012, and I'd completely forgotten about it, so it was fun to revisit it.


These guys were having a game of cricket, looking very official in their whites.


I walked down Broadway Market, where there was lots of lively street activity. I bought a falafel wrap for lunch and took it back to London Fields to eat near the flower sellers sculpture, and then popped into a neighborhood bookshop. I was happy to find "Smiling in Slow Motion," the second volume of Derek Jarman's diaries, there. You may remember I bought and read the first, "Modern Nature," several years ago and loved it. (It inspired me to visit his cottage at Dungeness.)


I made my way down to Hackney Road, where I passed this shop. It's not very remarkable now, but 13 years ago I took one of my favorite shopfront photos here. It had more character then. (The whole area has gentrified tremendously, but there's still plenty of graffiti.)

I gradually headed eastward and then north again along Kingsland Road, back up to Balls Pond Road where I caught the bus back home. I didn't get any reading done yesterday, so alas, I did not finish Barbra -- my one unaccomplished weekend goal. Perhaps today.

48 comments:

  1. I enjoy your flashbacks to the same places. I had a great time going through the flickr photos. It looks like a great walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting area. There's always a lot going on!

      Delete
  2. Hackney looks delightful, especially the street market and that flower seller sculpture is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love the flower-sellers and it's great how the sculpture is so interactive.

      Delete
  3. It is hard to believe that that is the same shopfront. A great excursion taking you to parts of London that you rarely visit. Have a thrilling week at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS hard to believe. I think it looks rather sanitized now.

      Delete
  4. Where do you take your break for a pee on these walks? I often wonder as you are out for a long time, sometimes off the beaten track although not with this walk, and don't seem to go into places and you eat on a bench so what do you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! I usually just pop into a coffee shop somewhere along the route (in this case a Pret). I buy a coffee as well!

      Delete
  5. That was a nice walk, thanks for sharing, brought back memories from very long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're famiiar with that area? It's a great part of town for photography.

      Delete
  6. The tower block blends in nicely with the green and trees of the cricket field.
    My friend here in Australia now, lived in Hackney Wick and sold her home on the River Lee Navigation just before the London Olympics for a killer price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet she did! Houses in that area are very desirable now, but it used to be an industrial slum.

      Delete
  7. What a great walkabout, and a beautiful day.
    Of course, i loved the architecture of the theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing building! From 1901, according to the pediment.

      Delete
  8. What a fun day you had, Steve! I love the photo of the busy street especially that beautiful sky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really nice to be out and about on a sunny day.

      Delete
  9. I do enjoy your walks. and quite the change from pink to black on the building.

    ReplyDelete
  10. More than once, I have been criticized for "wasting" my vote because I didn't vote for a clown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well, there is a strategic element to voting, but sometimes you've just got to go with your gut.

      Delete
  11. That looks like time well spent, and now I want a falafel. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting that there weren't any people in the last shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was VERY heavy traffic on the road so I was lucky to get a pic without a car! I couldn't really wait for a passerby, like I sometimes do.

      Delete
  13. That Empire Theatre is a spectacular building. And the changes in that shop front are amazing. Your photos make it look like a perfect day to be out on a long walk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heard the Balls Pond Road in comic songs, I think Peter sellers, now I find it's a real place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! There's also a bar in Shoreditch called "Shoreditch Balls," and the description on Google Maps is "balls balls balls." I think it's a sports bar or something.

      Delete
  15. Lovely photos and it appears many decided to be out and about enjoying the day and the sunshine. British busses are a great mode of travel...your trip to Hackney was enjoyable. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, I like getting on the upper section of a bus and sitting right in front, It's an amazing view!

      Delete
  16. The stinking iris from your last post has an amazing seed pod. They do look like teeth. London is like Seattle, it's just luminous when the sun is out. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful photos from your day out! Every time I hear "Baker Street" I think of the Gerry Rafferty song. I spent the summer in Oxford (England, not Mississippi) the year it was released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wasn't until I came to London that I could associate a real place with that song. I mean, I knew it was about London, but I couldn't picture it.

      Delete
  18. See any Hackney Diamonds?
    Looks like a very cool place to visit and hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That shopfront has changed! I liked it in pink. I hope you enjoyed your day. Barbra will wait for you.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it in pink, too. In fact I think that venue needs to repaint and present itself more colorfully.

      Delete
  20. Hackney looks better than I thought it might. Although I like the first paint job rather than the charcoal color. Nice day for you, running around independently- No tethers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever go over there when you lived in London? It's the kind of neighborhood I think you'd like a lot! Kind of like Brixton.

      Delete
  21. You have such a wealth of photo opportunities there. I always wanted to live in London.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how you get out and about. I feel so lazy sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I sometimes have to push myself, but I find once I'm out and about that I never regret getting out of the house.

      Delete
  23. Thislooks like a good walk -- and to a hopping area. I'd love to see the inside of that theatre. And I love the statue. Sheep. Can't resist sheep! The market looks fun, too. What a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The way you write about and show us London has made me want to visit it again, even though when I left it after living there as a child, I swore I would never go back by choice. We grow, we learn, we gain a new perspective. Thank you for helping to transform mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's quite a different city now than the one you left!

      Delete