Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Some Photo News


In contrast to yesterday's summery photos, here's an autumnal one. This cherry tree (I think?) on my walk home from work is already showing hints of color in its leaves. Fall is right around the corner.

Speaking of pictures, yesterday I finally settled the question of which image to use in the faculty/staff art show at work. I decided to stick with the very blue "Sky, Land and Sea" photo. The print looks good, and since I'd already submitted an artist's statement to go with that image it seemed best not to change course. It took a long time to make this decision because I had to wait for the art teacher who's coordinating the exhibit to print the picture so I could proof it. She offered, and it saved me some money to go that route, but she's so busy that if I had it to do over again I'd have had it professionally printed.

Oh, I got some other fun news about my photography. Ten years ago I wrote about John, the guy who sold used books on the West Hampstead railroad bridge, and his dog Sugar. After John's sad death I wrote about the murals that went up commemorating his life (and homelessness in general) on the same bridge. Those murals became a flash point for some community controversy, and now a documentary film has been made about the art and the community response. I allowed the director to use my photos in the film, and I've just received a free ticket to the premiere on Oct. 8. How cool is that?!

I'm looking forward to seeing it because I'm not sure I ever got the whole backstory about how the murals were created and why some people were so upset about them.

In other news, I rented another Barbra Streisand movie last night -- "For Pete's Sake," from 1974. It was fun and kind of zany, as if the producers were trying to recreate her success in "What's Up, Doc?" from a few years earlier. But this movie didn't have Peter Bogdanovich, Buck Henry, Madeline Kahn and the other critical participants that helped "Doc" become such a phenomenon. I wouldn't have felt cheated if I'd bought a ticket, but I'm not sure I would have remembered much after I left the theater, either. The most memorable scene involved a real live bull licking Streisand with its gigantic tongue as she's trying to drive a motor home -- that was pretty funny.

In her book, Streisand called the movie "a piece of fluff," which is accurate. But it was also an important turning point in her life, because it's how she met Jon Peters, who wound up being her romantic partner for the rest of the 1970s. A hair stylist, he designed the pixie-haircut wig she wore in the film. She also confesses she was terrified of the bull, but when it licked her arm she had to laugh, too.

36 comments:

  1. And to think we knew you when! I love the “Sky, Land and Sea” photo. Congratulations on the use of your photos in the documentary. VERY cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited. I had doubts the film would ever happen.

      Delete
  2. That is indeed so cool about your mural pictures and the show's premiere will be on my birthday! (hint-hint!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the hint? You want me to send you a ticket? :)

      Delete
  3. That's nice that you were invited to the film screening. Someone used one of my photos in....I can't remember, and I also received an invitation or was it a book. Mid noughties and I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one appear in a book years ago. I got no payment then either!

      Delete
  4. Fame at last! When you find out what's the deal with the mural I hope you tell us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting follow-up on your blogs about the murals and the story behind it.
    Also, the sky, land and sea photo is fabulous. How big is the print in the show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that big -- about A3 size (as we call it in England), maybe 11x15?

      Delete
  6. How fun you're part of the documentary; very cool.
    And i did like the Sky, Land Sea photo the best, so i'm glad you chose it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Thanks for affirming that I made the right choice. :)

      Delete
  7. Very cool about your photos being in the doc! I am interested to hear what the story was on the murals. Keep us informed, please.
    Barbra certainly had a huge spectrum of boyfriends, didn't she? Seems like she's found Mr. Right for sure in Mr. Brolin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's not that surprising, but yeah, she did have an assortment of romances. I only knew about Gould, Peters, Baskin and Brolin, so hearing about the others has been interesting.

      Delete
  8. That's exciting news and I bet you can't wait to see that documentary and look for your photos. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very excited to see it, mostly because I'm curious about the story!

      Delete
  9. so will you get a line in the credits after the film? now that would be cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm supposed to get credit somehow, but I'm not sure where the credit will be.

      Delete
  10. Do you know how John died? He doesn't look that old. Congrats on your photos being used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was an overdose. He was not in good health.

      Delete
  11. If this ever comes out on video where it can be streamed, please give a heads up on your blog. After reading your numerous posts about John, it seems like it would be interesting to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely let you know if it's streamable!

      Delete
  12. How cool to get to go to that premier and see your photos in a film. And, I like your choice for the art show.
    I thought of you when I was reading an article in the NY Times this morning. It was about a country house hotel in the Cotswolds owned by a group called Pig boutique hotels. The house was once owned by a gardener who worked with Charles at Highgrove on his garden there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I haven't heard about that hotel chain. I'll have to look for that article! The NYT is doing more and more coverage from the UK, it seems.

      Delete
  13. That's wonderful about the photos! By the way, the Redford/Streisand film I was thinking of was "The Way We Were."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you went with the blue photo - I really liked it. I love how the leaves are changing on that tree. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty, with the enhanced veins and that little touch of pink.

      Delete
  15. I also liked your Sky, Land, Sea photo; it will make a good entry.
    Using your photos in the documentary is a lovely complement. Going to the opening sounds outstanding. Let us know more after the viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I ever saw For Pete's Sake, but I have a happy memory of What's Up, Doc? I've enjoyed many of Streisand's movies.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "What's Up, Doc?" used to be on TV pretty regularly, and that's where I always saw it. I don't ever remember coming across "For Pete's Sake" on TV, and I'm not sure why.

      Delete
  17. Free tickets? Yay!
    I think I might have to find a copy of What's Up Doc?" I do like Madeleine Kahn.
    The tree is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "What's Up, Doc?" is a GREAT movie. It could have been a simple mediocre farce but it benefitted from legendary talents.

      Delete
  18. I'll look forward to hearing more about the art show. With either photo, you had good things to show! And the film sounds very interesting. I'll look forward to hearing more about that, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we'll see what happens with the art show. I'm not sure what to expect!

      Delete