Saturday, March 11, 2023

Birds and Mermaids


This little bird, or maybe several little birds of his kind, has been visiting our living room windows over the last week or so and tap-tap-tapping on the glass. It's a long-tailed tit, and I can't tell whether it's territorially attacking its reflection or harvesting the tiny insects that probably live in the corners of our window frames. It is getting to be mating season out there, so he may be defending his turf from what he believes is another bird.

Look at that head. That is a tiny, tiny brain.

This morning my phone says it's 28º F (or -2º C) outside. I just went out for a second in shorts and a t-shirt and it didn't feel that bad, but there's frost on the lawn and the bird bath is frozen solid, so I guess I should trust the data.

I spent most of yesterday reading a book of short stories by Israeli writer Etgar Keret. I'd never even heard of him, but I found the book on a bench while walking the Thames Path on Jan. 29 and it looked intriguing so I picked it up. It had been "released" by someone on BookCrossing.com, where people register books, put a sticker on them and send them out into the world. Other readers who come across the book are supposed to go to the website and leave comments about it. This book, a simple paperback, had been launched in Germany and then traveled to Finland, the Netherlands, Ireland, California and Canada before coming back to the UK for me to find.

It's a cool idea. I left a comment on the site saying I had the book now and I'll leave it somewhere in West Hampstead for others to find when I'm done with it. The stories are eccentric and mostly quite short. I'd rather read a novel, to be honest, but I'll plow through and finish.


Oh, and this came in the mail.


Yet another installment in the mysteriously anonymous Florida Memory postcard series. I still haven't received No. 1. (The postcard had my complete address on it -- I've just blocked part of it out.)

I grew up about 25 miles away from Weeki Wachee and I've driven past it countless times, but I've never actually visited. It's a state park where, for many decades now, there's been a water show featuring women dressed as mermaids -- very "Old Florida." It was advertised on TV a lot when I was a child and I always longed to go there but I still haven't. I should make it a priority sometime when I revisit my old stomping grounds.

Last night Dave and I watched "Triangle of Sadness," a quirky but riveting movie about a luxury cruise that goes wildly wrong. It's all about class and wealth and the invisibility, in such circumstances, of many of the people who shoulder the burdens and the responsibilities. I'm not sure I'd call it a comedy but it's darkly amusing. My only complaint is that the ending was too abrupt. It's one thing to leave viewers with something to ponder but another to just leave them hanging.

22 comments:

gz said...

Could be either, with the long tailed tit..but you are right it does eat small insects

Moving with Mitchell said...

Were you tempted to call this post Tits and Mermaids? Great photo of the bird. I remember reading many times about the Weeki Wachee Springs mermaids. I've never been there.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

The mermaid at Weeki Wachee appears to be wearing some kind of bra or bikini top. She is probably a fake mermaid as in their natural marine environment, mermaids are entirely naked.

Andrew said...

Our mudlarks attack their glass reflections. I expect that is your case.

A very long time ago I was involved in Book Crossing and left some books when out and about, but my attention span to Book Crossing was low.

Minus 2 outside, that is seriously cold. I hope your heating is working well.

The film sounds interesting. Class is always interesting to someone like me who lives in a 'classless' society. Supposedly.

Linda Sue said...

Book idea is so cool, connecting folks that way is almost better than stuffed bears traveling the world- or gnomes.I love that you are getting mystery cards too- I had a friend once who sent me a card every week following the alphabet with a poem as well. Brilliant.I had forgotten about that until just now thanks to your card.

Bob said...

I know many people with the brains of a long-tailed tit

Ellen D. said...

That would be a great entry on a woman's resume - "mermaid"!

Ms. Moon said...

Ah- you know my love of Weeki Wachee. I have been many times, both as a child and adult and the magic of it never ends for me. Ellen D.- since Weeki Wachee has become a state park, Florida is now the only state in the US where you can be a state employee whose job description is indeed "Mermaid"!
Did you think of my little bird, Steve, when yours began to bang against the glass? I haven't seen my guy lately so I suppose he's moved on. Perhaps he is busy being a daddy.

Boud said...

I've been to Weekiwatchee Springs, long ago, as a tourist. I'm glad I did, because it seems to be one of those Florida things, though we didn't know that at the time, just stumbled on it. Florida was all so exotic to this northerner, everything exciting.

I wonder how long the postcard series is..

Ed said...

I like dark humor in movies but my wife doesn't care for them. I may have to see if I can stream it sometime when she isn't home.

NewRobin13 said...

I love the book crossing idea. What a grand journey that book has had.
I am intrigued by the mysterious anonymous Florida Memory postcard series. I'm hoping someone will come forward someday and reveal their postcard sending self.

Rachel Phillips said...

Ah, the Triangle of Sadness, the film I mentioned when I reviewed Close. Winner of Palme D'Or 2022. Satire of the rich. I might watch it one day.

Red said...

Interesting comment on birds. they are attacking the other guy they see. They keep coming back for a while until they find something else to catch their interest.

The Bug said...

I love the idea of Book Crossing! Not sure how well it would work here, but maybe I should check it out.

It's definitely the season for birds to be birdbrained. It's like the possibility of spring has turned them all into teenagers & they can't quite figure out how to manage their bodies. Ha!

Sabine said...

That's a brilliant postcard!

I just read that bumble bees can be trained to distinguish shapes and have been found using simple tools and their brain must be even tinier than the little tits brain. Size does not seem matter after all?

Kelly said...

I love that postcard and would have enjoyed seeing a show there. So it's still thriving?

When it comes to short stories, my favorite genre is science fiction.

Margaret said...

The postcard idea is very clever! I would enjoy finding a well-traveled book somewhere but wouldn't necessarily want to read it unless it suited my tastes. You have a more wide-ranging interest in book which is fitting for a librarian!

sparklingmerlot said...

I am not a fan of short stories. I like to get my teeth into things and am often left wanting more with shorties.
I am in two minds about watching that movie. I do like quirky.
Stay warm and well.

River said...

I say make it a priority before Weeki Wachee closes down. My daughter K once picked up a few books from Bookcrossing.com, they'd been left at various bus stops in the city, she passed one on to me knowing I would like the story, then I left it at a bus stop near me, but it seems to have died out in these parts.

Steve Reed said...

GZ: I feel like it would be much more aggressive if it were attacking the window. This is an almost gentle tapping and brushing.

Mitchell: I SO WISH YOU'D WRITTEN MY HEADLINE! Thats' much better than mine. LOL

YP: Yeah, that would not have passed muster in the 1940s! Not in a family establishment, anyway.

Andrew: I recommend the movie, especially if that subject interests you! Is there any such thing as a classless society?

Linda Sue: Do you still have them all?

Bob: Republicans. Say it. :)

Ellen D: Ha! As Ms. Moon said, it's an actual state job description!

Ms Moon: I did think of your bird! I guess every garden's got one at this time of year.

Boud: How cool that you got to visit. One of these days I'm going to do it.

Ed: Yeah, it's definitely dark!

Robin: Since my brother says he "can neither confirm nor deny" his involvement, it's definitely someone in his household, I would guess.

Rachel: Yes! Your mention of it reminded me I wanted to see it, so thanks for that. You gave me the prompt.

Red: Yeah, I think we've been through this in past years and my memory is this phase doesn't last very long.

Bug: It looks like people can either leave books out in public or mail them to other BookCrossing members, if I understand the website correctly.

Sabine: Wow! Bumble bees use tools?! I had no idea. You're right, size doesn't seem to entirely dictate function.

Kelly: Like Silver Springs in Ocala, it's a once-private tourist attraction that has become part of the state park system. That preserves it and removes some of the financial pressures faced by private owners.

Margaret: I like trying new books and writers, though I do often find myself wondering why I'm reading something I didn't really choose.

Caro: I agree, they're normally not my thing. I don't like shifting gears so many times in a single book.

River: Did you ever follow up on your books? They might still be listed on the web site and you can see where they went after you! (Assuming people documented their movements.) I think you'd need to have saved the book ID number, though.

Sharon said...

That is a very cute little bird.

Jeanie said...

I love the idea of the mysterious postcards and also the traveling book. What fun to find the book with some history to it!