Thursday, July 20, 2023

The Plans Change


Well, I bought a ticket to go to Florida on Monday, which is the earliest I could depart without leaving Olga alone. Dave comes back from Seattle the same day -- in fact, we'll pass each other at Heathrow! I'm planning on being there a week, all in Jacksonville. My mom continues to decline gradually. My brother and his family went to see her last night and she was sound asleep. She apparently isn't eating or drinking much. I hope I get there in time, but I am resigned to the possibility that I won't.

Dave offered to change his plans and join me in Florida, but I think it's better that he just come home to be with the dog. I can't deal with scrambling around for dog care and then worrying about her in some kennel.

Otherwise, yesterday was pretty low-key. I repotted an orchid that I think is dying and I'd intended to throw out, but I decided to give it one last chance. Its roots seem healthy and quite compacted, and I thought maybe it just needs more space. It's lost all its leaves, though, so I don't have high hopes.

I took a walk up to Cricklewood (above), which felt good.


Here's some more artwork from the recently repainted Mill Lane Bridge. I wonder if this is Judith's mother? I'm guessing yes. And her cat (or dog?) on a leash.

In the afternoon we had some excitement. The starlings were out on the bird feeder, making their usual racket, when suddenly I heard something that sounded like a thud and they all took off.


I looked out in the garden and there was a raptor of some kind on the ground, and I think it got something, perhaps one of the birds. There's a shadow in the grass in some of my pictures, and the raptor was covering it with its wings, like they often do to protect their kill. It flew away a few moments later because the neighbor's cat jumped up on the fence, and when I went out to look in the grass there was no sign of a kill, so it must have carried it off. The starlings have not been back.

Wild Kingdom!

In the evening I watched "Rocky," which I haven't seen in decades. Someone gave us the DVD in the library. It was OK -- boxing is completely alien to me, so that aspect left me flat, but it was interesting to watch the characters evolve and I love the street scenes of Philly in the '70s. And of course the music. It's the one Sylvester Stallone movie I could ever bring myself to watch. (I think I rented "Rambo" many years ago just to see what all the fuss was about, but I remember none of it.)

30 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I am no bird expert but I believe that your visitor was a sparrowhawk. We occasionally get one in our garden as other birds hide or fly away. I hope your mum is still alive when you get to Florida.

River said...

I think you have made the right decision and hope you get there in time to say goodbye.
I know that bird is a hawk but haven't a clue what kind.

Debby said...

Safe travels, Steve. Sorry to read of your mom, but am reminded of your dream. That was a gift.

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, Steve, but everything will be okay. Deep inside she knows she's loved and cared for, and that's all that matters in the end.

Boud said...

Sorry about your mom, Steve. I think you're wise to go now. She sounds peaceful.

Colette said...

You are doing the right thing, going to Florida to say goodbye to your mother. I did a similar trip when my mother died, and I also went alone. Sometimes it is freeing and less stressful to only have to concentrate on being a son or a daughter.

Andrew said...

Yes, time to go home and see Mom.
R has spoken of Army and Navy Stores and I am surprised they are still around.
Starling 0, Sparrow Hawk 1. Not a bad thing. Starlings are a pest species here.
Everyone of our age will remember the theme music to Rocky.

jonboi said...

Warm wishes to you and your family, and safe travels.

We live in a semi-rural area, and one day we found a small detonation of feathers on our lawn. I figured the poor bird must have been pounced on by a cat or fox, but now I'm wondering if it met it's end from above.

The Bug said...

I'm glad you're going to Florida - even if you don't arrive in time you can be there for your brother, and he can be there for you.

I'll bet Ellen would like to borrow your raptor if it makes starlings go away! (Or is it grackles that plague her?)

Bob said...

Good that you were able to to book a flight to Florida. You all need to be there together if you can.
Sending good thoughts.

Fresca said...

Blessings to you and your mother. Our mothers ushered us into this world and —while it’s not always possible —often we desire to see them out.

Ellen D. said...

I'm glad you decided to go to Florida to be with your family there. You won't regret it. It is good to share family memories of your Mom when she wasn't ill - all the joys of the life you had together. Safe travels, Steve.

gz said...

Safe travels Steve. Hope all goes well

Mary said...

Safe travels. Wishing you, Mom and all the family a peaceful time in the midst of sadness.

Red said...

Sad time with your Mother. I hope you get there in time to see her.

NewRobin13 said...

When my mom was making her end of life journey there was not enough time for us to get to southern California to be there with her. My sister and brother held the phone to her ear and we told her how much we will always remember her with love. I've read that hearing is the last sense to go. If you don't make it in time, tell her all the words you have in your heart to tell.
Beautiful photo of that hawk.

Sharon said...

It's good that you are going to Florida and I think it's a smart move to have Dave at home with Olga. One less thing to worry about at this time. Having experienced this loss myself, I know how it weighs on the mind. You and your family will be in my thoughts.
Foxes and raptors...your yard really is a wild kingdom.

Kelly said...

It sounds like a good plan and I do hope she hangs on for you to see her, for your sake.

Wild Kingdom, indeed. We currently have a dog MIA and I'm starting to lose hope.

Jim Davis said...

Going is the right thing to do, made a similar trip in 2013 for my Mother, luckily I made it in time. I hope you do too, safe travels.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Yo, Adrian. What did you think of Rocky this time around? I'm glad you're getting to Florida. Will be thinking about you and your family.

Linda Sue said...

the art of Judith, age five, is fabulous! At age five i still had arms coming out of heads and no torso- the drawing , not myself...
Travel well, not an easy trip saying goodbye .

Margaret said...

I think you've made an excellent decision. The stopping of eating/drinking is a sign that she's ready to go. Rambo was terrible; I took my much younger brother to see it because my parents refused.

Catalyst said...

My condolences regarding your mother.

Mike O'Brien said...

Glad you're heading to Florida. With a family like yours, it's important to pull together in person at times like this. If this is your mom's time to depart, may it be peaceful.

On a lighter note, I too am impressed with 5 year old Judith's art. Eyebrows! A nose! Concepts foreign to me till much later in life.

Safe travels -
Chris from Boise

Jeanie said...

I hope you will be able to make it in time. I know she will know you are there, even if she's asleep. Save travels, my friend.

jenny_o said...

Go safely, Steve. I think you are doing this at the right time and the rest is up to luck.

Marty said...

So sorry your trip is one of sadness, Steve.

Debby said...

PS: Every Sylvester Stallone movie has the same plot. Good guy, misunderstood, underestimated by all around him, meets up with baddies. Reeeeeeally bad guys, and despite overwhelming odds, he defeats baddies, the ending: our hero is triumphant and respected by all.

Ms. Moon said...

I am just reading this now, Steve and I am so sorry to hear that your mother is probably "transitioning" as they say. Yes, it is the right thing to go to Florida, to be with your brother and his family. I hope peace for all.

Ms. Moon said...

Yes, if they are giving her morphine, the end is probably near. Life is ridiculous. I can remember so well the first time I was in labor and it was so monumental for me- the pain, the seeming endlessness of it, the fact that I was bringing a new life into this world- that I could not imagine people going along with their normal lives, even as I and other women labored in this way. And yet, of course, this is the way of it.
I think it is much like that when our lives are coming to an end.