Monday, October 14, 2024

Garfield


Another picture from my canal walk on Thursday. I'm showing you this partly because I like it, but also because yesterday was a complete photography fail. I don't think I took any pictures at all.

Oh, actually, I did take a pic of one of our dahlias:


This plant is pumping out flowers by the dozen. It's outperforming all the other "Bishop's Children" plants. I don't know if it's happier because of its location by this warm, south-facing brick wall, or if it's just extra-robust. I have been deadheading the dahlias like crazy, and that supposedly keeps them going.

So, OK, one picture. Otherwise, I just didn't have the opportunity for much photography. I barely left the house, except to go to the laundromat and walk the dog (briefly) up the street. I did a lot of cleaning here and took care of the houseplants, and read a chunk of "Bleak House," and watched a movie in the afternoon. ("Mandragora," a 1997 Czech film about the fraught lives of male hustlers in Prague. I remember seeing it at the theater when it came out, but I'd forgotten how melodramatic it is -- a bit over-the-top considering the subject matter is already plenty dramatic. It's the last of a trilogy of films, the other two being documentaries I watched earlier in the week.)

Dave was away for part of the day, helping students prepare for honor band auditions. I know! On a SUNDAY! I hope those kids are grateful.


Here's another photo from Thursday, a bit of graffiti at Trellick Tower. I was a big fan of Garfield back in the day. I had about eight of his books, I think. As the graffiti artist noted, he was very '80s! I was going to say my level of laziness yesterday was on a par with Garfield's, but I did at least clean the house, and I did not eat any lasagna.

Oh, and we Skyped with Dave's parents last night. They say their mobile home in Cortez survived Milton just fine. A neighbor went and checked it inside and out and sent them a video. Some nearby residents had damage and even flooding, but their home is slightly elevated and apparently stayed high and dry -- except for the loss of the washer and dryer in an outdoor shed during Helene, which I think I mentioned earlier. (And possibly the air conditioner, because the compressor is on the ground -- they're not sure yet because the house still has no power.) Anyway, they're obviously relieved about that.

Dave and I got confirmation of our Christmas plans in Whitstable, and we're also making arrangements for a little trip at Thanksgiving. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Garfield always makes me smile. Great news about Dave’s parents. Can’t wait to hear about your travel plans.

    ReplyDelete