Thursday, October 3, 2024

Where My Head Is


Another picture from Hackney, a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what's going on with me lately but I haven't been taking many (any) pictures. I think my head has just been elsewhere.

Yesterday I mentioned that my job might change as a result of my co-worker's departure. One of the possibilities was that I might go half-time. A part-time vacancy arose because of some departmental reorganization and I proposed to my boss that I step into it, and I seriously considered it. I thought it would be a good way to back away from the library as I get closer to retirement and perhaps get more days off to travel around and explore.

But alas, it looks like that idea is not going to work. Because of the library's requirements I'd have to come in every day anyway -- for fewer hours, granted, but I'd get no days entirely free. I would never have enough time to, say, take a train somewhere and go on a weekday hike. And of course I'd be losing half my paycheck, which we could manage but I'm not sure there's enough benefit to justify it. Why not keep earning that money and save it?

So I think for the time being I'll stay full-time. It was good for me to look into this but I don't think the timing and circumstances are right.


We also had (once again) a minor bit of health drama with Olga. She has lots of lumps and bumps on her body, like any old dog, and one of them arose rather suddenly and seemed infected. I took her to the vet on Monday and they biopsied it, and it didn't show signs of anything terrible. But we have to keep an eye on it and make sure it heals well. That was another £250 down the drain.

Yet another reason not to give up any of my paycheck -- Olga maintenance!

(Above, that's her lying next to me on the couch as I type this.)

Yesterday was very busy at work. Among my other duties I'm updating a spreadsheet (!) that shows all our board games with links to descriptions and how to play them. This is for our annual Board Game Night, which I normally don't attend myself but I do help prepare for it. I actually found it pretty interesting work and it kept me absorbed (between "customers") most of the afternoon.

It made me realize how many games are a sort of indoctrination (some would say preparation) for our capitalist, competitive way of life -- Monopoly being the most obvious example. It's funny how we play it as kids and don't really question the ethics of the objective, to drive our competitors out of business and bankrupt them. I guess all games are competitive and if we simply shared all the resources the game would never end. But in real life, that's kind of what we want, isn't it? A balance that allows us all to prosper in perpetuity? Or am I talking like a Communist now?

5 comments:

  1. I hope Olga recovers and continues to be healthy. An excellent reason to keep the full time job. I haven't played any board games since I was little except scrabble with my kids to help them learn words and spelling. With no scoring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not a communist..more a realist?

    Good to enquire about a job change even if it doesn't happen, you need to be informed...and information is your job! The only other way that would work would be to job share with another...but you both need to have the same aim equally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good that Olga's lump wasn't anything worse! I have already spent £192 at the vet's this week, and expecting another £50 plus this afternoon, just to walk through the door for a check on his conjuntivitis! I think I might need to go back out to work to support the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Until recently I was playing Monopoly with my grandchildren and the moral thought never crossed my mind, now you have given me a new direction to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The original Monopoly would have made you happy. It was created to demonstrate how bad private monopolies were. It’s sad that we’re either capitalists or labeled communists. There’s a lot of room between. We paid €100 each for our rescue cats and then spend anywhere from €100 and €1500 at the vet! And, admittedly, they’re worth every penny. Olga sure is a trooper.

    ReplyDelete