Thursday, October 17, 2024

Sea Glass Quilt


Our community art show at school is coming down, and I walked over to the gallery yesterday to pick up my very blue photo. While I was there, I photographed this piece in more detail. I remember some of you commenting on it so I thought you might want a closer look.

It's a "sea glass quilt" made by a parent, and although I'd love to give her credit I also want to protect her privacy, so I won't name her. It's made from scraps left over from earlier quilting projects, she said in her description. She called it "Flow" and said in her mind it connects the recipients of those projects and the lessons she learned working on them.

Also, after viewing the video in my earlier post -- which you can see by clicking the link above -- blogger Ellen asked about the sculpture of the woman sitting on an egg and what it was made of. I took a second look and it was glass. (Nothing like answering a reader question a month late, right?!)

Finally, I'd meant to include in my earlier posts the words of a woman who knitted a sweater shown in the show. She mentioned how she'd dipped in and out of knitting through her life, and said, "You don't need to do art every day to be an artist. You can leave it for days, weeks, months or years. It's not going anywhere." As one who often feels compelled to get out and take pictures, I found that such a comforting thought.


Here's my latest plant rescue project. Yes, it's another Dracaena, found a few days ago next to a trash bin at work. As I was looking at it, trying to decide whether to take it on, the principal of our Lower School walked past and said, "You can't save it. It's too far gone." I said, "I think I might be able to, actually!"

I brought it to the library and put that sign on it saying, "Please do not discard. I'm in 'plant hospital.'" Yesterday I brought it home. I'll repot it and probably keep it here until it revives, but I've promised Dave I will then take it back to the library, because we already have five rescued Dracaenas and we really do not need one more.


Finally, last night I got to meet fellow blogger Jeanie of The Marmelade Gypsy. She and her partner Rick are visiting England from Michigan, and they stopped by West Hampstead to meet Dave and Olga. We stepped outside to see the garden and Olga managed to both bark at us incessantly and roll in black mud, so that was fun. We then went to dinner at a restaurant on the high street (Olga stayed home) and had a great time. Jeanie is artistic, articulate and interesting, as you'll know if you read her blog, and Rick's career path was somewhat similar to my brother's in municipal planning so I enjoyed talking to him too -- yet another positive "IRL" encounter with blogland!

3 comments:

  1. How lovely that you got to meet Jeanie.

    I must have missed your Art Show post so thank you for linking it , you have very talented students, staff and parents there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that particular Dracaena does die, you could always take one of your other Dracaenas back to the school library in order to make the Principal of Lower School eat his or her words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice photo of you, with Jeanie.

    ReplyDelete