Friday, October 18, 2024

Maw and Manifest


The vine that covers "the maw," the pedestrian bridge that runs across the tube tracks in West Hampstead, is now a flaming red. It's just about the only time of the year that the maw is attractive. I suppose the steps wouldn't be so dark and shadowy if it weren't for the vine, but I'm glad the council (or whoever has responsibility for this bridge) has left it.


And here's the tree at the top of the hill near our flat -- always one of the first to change. Autumn color all around!

I repotted the rescued dracaena I mentioned yesterday. This one really is a long shot. Most of the roots were dead. I think there was a single surviving root, or maybe a few of them. I discarded most of the dead roots and the root ball and put the stalk with its few remaining roots in fresh soil. They're tough plants, so we'll see what happens.

A few days ago I got a thank-you note from my niece for a graduation gift I sent her. She mailed it in JULY! Why it took so long to get here I have no idea. She had the address, city and post code right, though I noticed that someone at the post office hand-wrote LONDON in big letters on the envelope, as if it went some other place first. They also blacked out all the little bar codes and whatnot that sorting machines usually leave on the envelope. So who knows what happened there. Just further evidence that our postal systems are collapsing, but at least it got to me in the end.

I heard back from the doctor about my recent tests. My calprotectin level, measuring gut inflammation, is still elevated, so she's referring me back to the gastroenterology team at the hospital. I am unclear what happens next. I feel mostly OK -- maybe slightly more tired than usual --  but I think we have to get to the bottom of what's happening and whether it's an early sign of anything serious. There's no blood where blood shouldn't be, so that's a good thing.

Dave had to work last night, so I warmed up some leftover chicken and watched the last couple of episodes of "Manifest." It was a wacky show, a jumbled grab-bag of plot points involving tarot, Noah's ark, dragons, jewels endowed with mystical powers, bizarre meteorological events, rock carvings, evil government operatives, you name it. The premise is that a flight experiences severe turbulence during a storm, and when it lands, everyone on the plane is shocked to find that five years have elapsed. How this happened is never quite explained, beyond the involvement of a supernatural or divine force. Dave gave up on the show a long time ago but I kept watching it all the way to the end of its fourth and last season -- I developed an affection for the characters despite the absurdity of the plot. Now, time for a new series!

4 comments:

  1. The word "Maw" was new to me - had to look it up! I have a vine the same as your photo and made it my new header yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week I had a Christmas Card returned from Philadelphia which was sent 2 years ago.
    Love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for showing us to Jeanie's blog (in your last post). Her impressive post about voting should be compulsory reading for those who vote on trivialities or single issues. Relevant to the UK too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m like you when it comes to some shows. I’ll see them through to the bitter end, while SG will stop midway through the first episode. Sorry about the bad calprotectin levels. I hope it’s figured out quickly and it turns out to be easily treatable.

    ReplyDelete