Monday, July 5, 2021

Pier Monster


I was a walkin' fool yesterday, hoofing it all over downtown St. Petersburg. It's been many, many years since I've spent any time at all in this city, so it was great to have a chance to explore. I must have walked up and down Central Avenue ten times. It's much more lively and colorful than I remember. I got a lot of exercise and also gave myself a fairly intense blister on my foot! C'est la vie.

Above is the view from the new municipal pier, looking back toward town from the upstairs deck of a restaurant.


I took a closer look at Presbyterian Towers. I'd forgotten that in addition to the groovy sculpture on the wall (see yesterday's post), there are groovy sculptures over the doors!


A little bit of wishful thinking, here.


There are a lot of awesome murals all over town. This one might be my favorite, showing a monstrous machine shaped like the old municipal pier destroying the city.


I also really liked this cat, appearing to projectile vomit pizza.


I tried to go to Haslam's, which is a legendary used book store near our hotel. Sadly, it was closed. I'd heard that it was closed during the Covid lockdowns last year, to the extent that a lot of people were concerned about its future. I don't know why it was closed yesterday, though -- maybe just because of the Fourth of July.

To compensate, I found an amazing vintage store a few doors down called Wendy's Closet, where I got a great t-shirt.


Again -- St. Pete is so colorful and vibrant!


We'll be headed back to Tampa today.

16 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

You can see why I am a bit jealous of my friend who moved there in retirement. She rides her bike everywhere.
Once Lis and I were visiting the then pier and we caught a little bus that carried people from the building to the end of the pier, I asked the driver if he ever thought about just driving off and never returning to his continual short, short trips.
"Every day of my life," he sighed.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Love that rainbow piano under the road. Shame you won't get to have a browse around Haslam's. You might have come across "Road Tales" by Steve Reed or "Mary Moon is Missing" by Patricia Reilly Giff.

Anonymous said...

It really is colorful and beautiful there. So rich and vibrant. If I traveled, I think I'd like to go there for a nice long walk.

Linda Sue said...

Thank you for the look around! I am astonished! When i think of Florida i have the usual image in my brain of white guys golfing and elderly , wigged women bickering.

Bob said...

I've never been to St Pete but it looks like a fun spot. Perhaps we'll take a trip down one day.

Edna B said...

That first photo is quite impressive. I've never seen a pier go across the water like that. Such a shame that book store wasn't open. I love book stores. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Allison said...

We were in the area once. We picked up a sail boat in Tampa to sail up the intercoastal waterway. One night we went to dinner at the Salt Water Cowboy which is on a salt marsh, where we just had to try the alligator pops. They weren't bad.

ellen abbott said...

that is a big bookstore. the pier monster is good. brought to mind War of the Worlds.

Sharon said...

I do like that sculpture on the towers building. It looks like you were able to enjoy a long walk without the rain. Good for you! Too bad that book store was closed. It looks huge!

Moving with Mitchell said...

Saint Pete looks very cool. Tell the guy on the bike to put on a pair of sneakers. Thanks for sharing some more mural art.

John Going Gently said...

Love the Siamese

Catalyst said...

O.K. so model the new t-shirt for us.

Red said...

Interesting to see how things have changed in an old stompin ground.

Janie Junebug said...

Because who doesn't love projectile vomiting creatures? Jacksonville has a great used bookstore: Chamblin Bookmine on Roosevelt and 2 other locations that I think are called Chamblin's. I don't go in the store very often because I never want to leave. I once saw a list of the best bookstore in every state and the choice for Florida was Chamblin.

Love,
Janie

Anonymous said...

I love the destruction mural and cool that it has a tram in it.

Debby said...

'a cat projectile vomiting pizza'. You made me laugh out loud! Does the piano play? Do random people sit down and tap out tunes? I'm glad you're enjoying your visit and sorry about your blister. We must see your vintage tee shirt at some point, sir!