Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Jankety but Upright


I'm free! I'm free! As of today, quarantine is officially over and I am able to go out and have a life. The only complication is that I still haven't received the results of my Day 8 Covid PCR. I'm sure it's going to be negative, but I wonder if I'm supposed to wander free before I know for sure? Then again, people coming into the country from the USA just a few days after me not only got to skip quarantine but didn't even have to take a Day 8 test. So I guess I'm fine.

The NHS didn't call me at all yesterday. I've been dropped like a hot potato. Like a bad date.

Believe me, I wasn't waiting by the phone. I had plenty to do. For one thing, I decided to try to tie up the collapsed teasels one more time -- and I did so, as you can see above. I anchored them to that heavy garden chair. So now they're tied up from three sides and they seem pretty stable. I'm not sure what's going to happen in the first high wind, but at least I've tried.

To what end, I'm not sure. I guess I just want them to live and bloom a little while longer. I saw bees on the flowers yesterday evening and got some satisfaction from knowing that I'd spared the plant long enough for more insects to dine.

As Dave might say, they look "jankety" -- haphazard or badly constructed.  I love that word. It's not one I ever used until I met him, but it's very handy. My teasel rescue is admittedly jankety.

I texted Dave to tell him I'd saved them, but my phone's autocorrect changed "teasels" to "readers," with the result that I told him, "I tied up the readers again."

I guess that's YOU. I've tied you up. Sorry about that.


I haven't mentioned our canna lilies much this summer, but they're both doing fine. One of them is quite big and blooming (above). The other one -- the sad little pathetic one -- is still small, but it's looking healthier than it was last year. Hopefully by next summer it will be more established.

Food-wise, I'm surviving quite well. I haven't even had to do take-out, at least not since Dave's last night in town, when we ordered sushi. After he ordered it, he got a text saying "Eduardo" was on his way. I said, "It's so London to have your sushi delivered by someone named Eduardo!"


And speaking of food delivery, here's a discarded pizza box I found while walking Olga. I was amused by the name. As far as I know, English homes don't have "yards," they have gardens, and as a result the English also don't have "yard sales." They have car boot sales, when they bring their junk to a common location like a schoolyard or car park and sell it out of their car. I suspect whoever named this pizza outfit was trying to sound American.


Finally, remember the jackhammers I've been hearing? This is what their operators are working on -- channeling the street to run fiber broadband lines. This is on West End Lane, which is normally a fairly major roadway, and Finchley Road is also closed off, which is an even bigger traffic artery. Makes me glad I don't drive.

I've been catching up on movies that I've had saved for ages because I knew Dave wouldn't want to watch them. One was "What Happened, Miss Simone?" a documentary about the troubled life and career of jazz singer Nina Simone. Last night I watched "The Treasure of San Bosco Reef," a Disney movie from 1968 that was mildly amusing. It was a mystery set in Italy and it reminded me of "The Moon Spinners" with Hayley Mills, one of my favorite childhood Disney films, which was made a few years earlier and set in Greece. I'm always up for a Disney adventure set in an exotic locale.

50 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

I’ve never heard the word jankety, although I have heard janky (but never used it), so I immediately knew what you meant. And, yes, the teasels (and some of us readers) do look jankety. But still serving our purpose. How awful all that jack-hammering must be. Yardsale pizza isn’t a very enticing name (IMHO), even if it is handmade-hand delivered.

gz said...

We have seen one about Nina Simone, must be the same one. So talented and intelligent, so sad.
Well done on finishing your quarantine. Do it positively!- but fortunate you have a garden!

crafty cat corner said...

We actually went to see Nina Simone live near the end of her life. It was such a disappointment. She was well past her best and had to be helped onto the stage and put on her piano stool. We walked out as it was so bad. I do hate that when acts go on beyond their best because I really loved her and now my memory is tainted.
Briony
x

John Going Gently said...

I'm.a film buff but haven't heard of any of those films

Anonymous said...

like the word jankety. I don't know if it is an English word or a Geordie word, but I also like manky.

I didn't know about Nina Simone. Sad.

In Australia we have a front garden and a back yard. Well, we used to before new house blocks became postage stamp size.

Debby said...

Yard Sale Pizza. How do yard sales and pizza connect, I wonder.

jenny_o said...

I read the book The Moonspinners as a teenager and, although I couldn't tell you the plot now, I know I was impressed with it then. I thought it was an adult-level book but now I wonder, seeing as it was a Disney production.

Yard sale pizza doesn't sound top-quality - lol. Enjoy your freedom from quarantine; if anyone's earned it, it's you, adhering to both the letter and the spirit of the rules!

e said...

Yard sales don't bring pizza to mind...I am dating myself but I had a slew of Disney records and books at one point back in the days when people went to their local theatre to see Disney films. My favorite escapes me.

Steve Reed said...

Both "San Bosco" and "The Moon Spinners" are basically kids' movies, but they're entertaining. "The Moon Spinners" is notable for film buffs mainly because it was the last screen appearance of Pola Negri, a famous '30s film star. She plays a campy villainess with a pet cheetah. It's pretty awesome.

Steve Reed said...

Oh no! I feel the same way -- it can be dangerous going to see music idols late in their careers, when time (and who knows what else) has taken its toll. The documentary showed Simone in some late appearances and she seemed pretty out of it.

Steve Reed said...

I think there are two documentaries about her (at least), but that's the most famous one -- it's on Netflix. Yes, I'm glad that quarantine is behind me!

Steve Reed said...

Apparently janky and jankety are regional variations on the same concept! I agree -- I would not be inclined to order Yard Sale Pizza.

Steve Reed said...

"Manky" is indeed a good word! I think a yard in England tends to be a paved space, like a school yard or an industrial yard.

Steve Reed said...

No idea! Maybe you eat pizza at your yard sale?

Steve Reed said...

I think the book "The Moon Spinners" was intended for adults, or perhaps young adults. The movie was Disney's attempt to move Hayley Mills into older roles -- her character was an older teenager, as I recall.

Steve Reed said...

I did too. Our generation grew up with Disney! My first record was the soundtrack to the film "Mary Poppins."

The Bug said...

At the beginning of your post you sound a little punch drunk - giddy to be free - ha! I could stand to be tied up - I didn't get enough sleep last night & now I'm listing toward Schronce's (which is a piedmont NC phrase I think we've talked about before - I didn't know it was just something we said around here - I thought my dad was talking about the actual Schronces who lived down the road. Ha!).

Bob said...

Odd name for a pizza place. And I don't think I'd buy "yardsale" food.

The Padre said...

Welcome Back To Freedom - Wait, Is That The Phone - We Have All Worked With Jankety Folks For Sure - My Favorite Line Is, "Where Is Minnie Mouse?" - After I Receive The Baffled Stare - "Well, That Is A Micky Mouse Job." With I Smile I Say

Cheers

Ms. Moon said...

Yes. We say "janky". But "jankety" is good too.
I don't think I've ever met anyone as determined to keep a plant upright as you, Steve. You have the very best heart.
Congratulations on your freedom! Enjoy!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Hey! It is a good job that you are "free" Steve because...(Choose (a) or (b)):-
(a) nobody would give two dimes for you.
(b) if you were sold at the recommended price, nobody would be able to afford you.

Sharon said...

I laughed out loud at "tied up the readers". Good job on restraining all those plants. I haven't watched an old Disney movie in ages. That's a good idea. I can't believe they have closed that road completely. That must be awful for people living on that street and even worse for the commuters who travel it regularly.

Anonymous said...

I like how you have rescued that teasel. Good job! I've never used the word "jankety" but I intend to start. I love it.
Just seeing the name Hayley Mills sent me back to 1961 when I saw her in The Parent Trap. I have no idea what it was about, but I remember loving that movie so much. Thank you for the reminder.
Enjoy your new-found freedom!

The bike shed said...

Wellcome to the free world!
In France they have Vide Grenier sales which means "empty attic' or 'attic emptier' which I think is quite cool.
But then lots about France is cool

ellen abbott said...

good job on the teasels. we had some high wind that knocked over the tall orange cosmos, some of them are taller than me now, but I've not tried to straighten them back up. they don't seem to mind laying on the ground.

and watch out London, Steve is on the loose.

Ellen D. said...

You are a lovely man, Steve! Saving the teasels to feed the bees! Thank you!

Linda Sue said...

I love the pizza box! The old cartoony graphic looks like something Erik would do. Freedom from covid tends to be an illusion, so, be free within confines...Covid 19 just could not get the job done, called reinforcements to weed out a few more. Delta - what's next?
Alone time, is so nice! Though you have Olga and the teasels.

Edna B said...

Your teasel is looking just fine. I hope it stays up. That's a beautiful canna lily. I love the color. Enjoy your new found freedom. Hugs, Edna B.

Tasker Dunham said...

We have 'back yards' in the North, which I use to refer to the paved areas just outside the house. Posh houses have front yards. Mrs. D. who is from the south doesn't like me using it. Another good way to annoy her is to refer to the kitchen as the 'scullery'.

Allison said...

Good job on the teasels. I forget who eats the seeds, but they'll be happy about your efforts.

Kelly said...

I liked Haley Mills (Pollyanna and The Parent Trap!) and have vague memories of The Moon Spinners. I do remember reading Mary Stewart's book, which I presume it was based on.

Is jankety a word from Dave's growing up in Michigan? I've never heard it in my neck of the woods, but I like it.

John Going Gently said...

I do campy villains

Red said...

This time of summer the plants get overgrown and it doesn't take much wind to blow them down.

Steve Reed said...

"Listing toward Schronce's"? Now that's a phrase I've never heard.

Steve Reed said...

I know! Not an appealing connection, is it?!

Steve Reed said...

LOL -- I'm not sure I've ever heard the word "jankety" applied to people, but I suppose it works!

Steve Reed said...

Well, ultimately, my attempts failed. (See subsequent post.) But I did try.

Steve Reed said...

Well, obviously, given a choice, I'm opting for B!

Steve Reed said...

Old Disney movies can be fun because they trigger fond memories and they're easily digestible!

Steve Reed said...

She was in several good movies in the early '60s. As an adult, she did an excellent Masterpiece Theatre miniseries circa 1980 called "The Flame Trees of Thika," after Elspeth Huxley's book. Also worth watching!

Steve Reed said...

"Attic emptier" -- I like that! You're right, France is cool by default.

Steve Reed said...

The teasels fell again after I wrote this post, and I think I'm going to just let them lie. As long as they're still getting nutrients and water they'll keep blooming, even horizontally!

Steve Reed said...

Well, the bees need our help!

Steve Reed said...

It is kind of a fun cartoon -- a sort of schoolyard doodle.

Steve Reed said...

I like the cannas too! I hope the little one, when it blooms, is a different color.

Steve Reed said...

Now "scullery" is a word I never hear, except when I'm watching a costume drama and someone refers to a "scullery maid"!

Steve Reed said...

Our European goldfinches love them!

Steve Reed said...

Apparently lots of people read that book! I read it too, but only many years after I'd seen the movie. Yeah, "jankety" is something Dave brought to our relationship from Michigan -- a variation on "janky," which is apparently more widely popular.

Steve Reed said...

Every year I deal with at least one collapsed plant!

37paddington said...

What happened to Ms. Simone? I should watch that. She was one of my favorites when I was growing up.