Thursday, December 23, 2021

Magic and Insanity


Yesterday I went down to Croydon, in far south London. I was not in search of a magical haircut (given my hairline any haircut I receive would have to be REALLY magical) but I was in search of this shopfront. I saw it from the car when my friend Chris and I drove to Hastings in August, and ever since I've meant to photograph it. I'm always struck by overly optimistic shop names, and this fits the bill -- especially given the condition of the shop.

As it turns out, though, it's still possible to get a magical haircut in Croydon. The business appears to have simply moved across the street. Here it is in 2018 on Google Street View.


Now -- assuming it's the same business -- it's in a third shopfront, right next to the second one, and called Magical Barber. Which isn't quite as good a name, in my opinion, but maybe they were trying to point out that they do more than haircuts and your shave or your beard trim would be equally magical.

Having satisfied my interest in the supernatural barbers of Croydon, I walked along the high street and through the downtown shopping area, taking lots of pictures. Then I hopped a bus and rode out to the Bethlem Royal Hospital, where there's a museum exhibit I wanted to see.

Bethlem, from which the word "bedlam" is derived, is a psychiatric hospital that has existed since the 1200s in several different locations in London. As you can imagine, back in the old days, mental health care was pretty primitive and the place had a horrific reputation. Now it's a modern research and patient care facility on a large campus with spreading lawns and its own museum.

One of Bethlem's patients, back in the 1920s, was Louis Wain, a Victorian artist who was famous for his fanciful portraits and drawings of cats. If you're like me, you'll remember Wain because his artwork was often used in textbooks as evidence of the effects of psychosis. I specifically remember reading about this myself, in college -- his cat portraits were shown in a series, from easily identifiable to wildly abstract, with the contention that they got more and more fanciful as Wain's schizophrenia progressed. I found it scary that someone could so lose control of their mind and their perceptions.

Well, Bethlem now has an exhibit of Wain's works, and I wanted to see those kaleidoscopic cats in person. As it turns out, the idea that they depict Wain's psychiatric illness is something of a myth -- or at least conjecture. None of the drawings are dated, so no one knows the order in which Wain produced them, and he was always interested in textile patterns and embroidery and other artistic imagery that might have lent itself to such abstraction. In fact, there's doubt that Wain was psychotic or schizophrenic at all, although he did live the last years of his life in mental hospitals.

Anyway, it was an interesting exhibit, made all the more timely by the imminent release of a movie about Wain's life, called "The Electrical Life of Lewis Wain," with Benedict Cumberbatch and Claire Foy. It comes out around New Year's Day and I'll definitely go.

My bus ride was interesting, too. I sat next to a woman who yammered on her cell phone with a friend about the intimate details of a third person's relationship. "Just because he loves her don't mean he likes her," she said at one point.


I took a few more pictures in the Shirley neighborhood of East Croydon, and then caught a train back to London. Thameslink trains run directly between Croydon and West Hampstead, making it incredibly easy to get down there and back with no faffing around on the tube.

Finally, and speaking of Benedict Cumberbatch, last night Dave and I watched "The Power of the Dog," Jane Campion's new film on Netflix. It's slow-paced, but I enjoyed it and it definitely left me with images and ideas to ponder -- some of them relating to mental illness, incidentally. If you haven't seen it yet, give it a go.

46 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

We watched Power of the Dog this week. Also found it a bit slow but powerful and fascinating (and well-cast and acted). A magical barber that does traditional male grooming. Hmmm.

I remember in the 70s driving by (and having it pointed out to me) the original Bethlem Royal Hospital.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I love those spinning red and white poles that are still often seen outside barber shops (see the second picture). Wikipedia says this: "During medieval times, barbers performed surgery on customers, as well as tooth extractions. The original pole had a brass wash basin at the top (representing the vessel in which leeches were kept) and bottom (representing the basin that received the blood). The pole itself represents the staff that the patient gripped during the procedure to encourage blood flow."

Boud said...

Love the art deco library.

Bob said...

I think I would trust Magical Haircut before going into Magical Barber, because Magical Haircut has their windows covered and everyone knows magic is done in secret.

Peter said...

I really liked Power of the Dog. Yes, it was slow but with a steady buildup that kept me involved. I recommend it.
Cheers

Ms. Moon said...

I did watch Power of the Dog and it was gripping in its own way.
So the man who painted the electric cats wasn't necessarily insane? Well, what else have they lied to us about? Magical haircuts? Tell me it isn't so.

Edna B said...

You've been busy. That's quite an interesting name, The Magical Barber. I wonder if his work is magical? Merry Christmas to you, Dave and Olga. Hugs, Edna B.

e said...

That library looked interesting...

Anonymous said...

I googled Louis Wain to get a look at his cat paintings. His art is beautiful. I wonder why people thought he was mentally ill.
Now I'm also wondering what I would want a magical barber to do to my hair. Mmmm?

37paddington said...

I've been reflecting a lot on mental illness lately, and the fact that more often than anyone understands, it is the result of a treatable medical condition, except sadly, the medical condition goes undiagnosed. This was the case with a niece of mine, who mercifully was properly diagnosed and treated. Thanks to a nurse who had happened to read the book, Brain on Fire, my niece was able to return to herself in time. Now I wonder about all mental illness, and whether there might be an underlying medical condition, as Dr. Oliver Sacks found was so often the case in his book The Man Who Mistook Himself for a Hat. In any case, I am now very intrigued by Lewis Wain's story, thank you for bringing him and the soon to be released film to my attention. I did watch The Power of the Dog, a very sad movie, I found. And yes, slow. But I daresay, it was art in its way. I'm not sorry I watched.

Sharon said...

I haven't seen "The Power of the Dog" yet. I keep feeling like I need to be in the right mood. I'm off of work for the next week so I'll watch it during that time. I have seen some of Wain's cat pictures but never knew who he was or anything about him. I'll have to watch for that movie too. So the Magical Haircut has evolved into the Magical Barber. I would have thought the evolution would have been the other way around.

Red said...

Your takes on the magical barber and Louis Wain makes us think about situations. Many people would just walk by and see nothing let alone think about it.

Claudia said...

The history of the hospital is fascinating and bedlam has even entered our lexicon. I always think of the print from Hogarth's "Rakes Progress" where socialites are touring the asylum to view the spectacle of the mentally ill. Apparently that was a thing in the Victorian era.
Two thumbs up on "the Power of the Dog" I was disappointed in "The Electrical Life of Lewis Wain". I don't remember what streaming service it was on about a month ago. I thought Netflix but not sure.

John Going Gently said...

Glad you liked the power of the dog
Did you understand the significance of the psalm ? I didn’t
If you did tell me

Absolutely love the deco library

Steve Reed said...

I didn't understand it but I did some Googling after we watched it and came up with this article, which offers several interpretations:

https://thecinemaholic.com/what-is-the-meaning-of-the-power-of-the-dog-title/

Ed said...

I am always amazed at the conversations people have on their cellphones in public and apparently assume that nobody is listening.

Wilma said...

We could all use a little magic.

Mage said...

Instead, I spent the last hour having a wonderful time looking at images from the patients. There are several well trained artistic endeavors there.

Terra said...

Now I will take a look at the two movies you mention. I wonder about people, including Wain, who were put in mental institutions and who were perhaps eccentric and not ill. As a librarian I would like Shirley Library to get a fresh coat of paint, it would be much more inviting.

Kelly said...

I echo that very first comment questioning "traditional grooming" by a magical barber. I might prefer something out of the ordinary from a magical barber.

"Just because he loves her don't mean he likes her," I totally get that. (even if the grammar bugs me)

Ellen D. said...

The Shirley library needs a good power wash. I love the design around the doors. Was the clock displaying the correct time?

Anonymous said...

It would be unfair to judge Croydon by two photos but...

I didn't know of Louis Wain but I am sure I have some of his cat works.

I would rather stand well away than listen to a conversation like that going on beside me.

ellen abbott said...

Linda Sue posted a picture of one of his cats recently I believe. My remark was it looked like stuff I saw on acid. Probably not on topic but your mention of mental hospitals and movies made me think of the French film King Of Hearts with English subtitles. Have you ever seen it?

Pixie said...

I don't know if I can watch The Power of The Dog. The bullying is awful to watch, at least in the trailer, and I know how it ends. I just have to decide if I want to watch the middle bit:)

It must have been awful to be mentally ill in the past. It's not great even these days but back in the day when people were thought to be possessed by the devil, it must have been horrendous and I imagine death was welcomed at times.

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, I'm not sure what "traditional male grooming" entails, especially when magic is involved.

Steve Reed said...

I knew that barbers were the dentists and surgeons of their day (scary!) but I didn't know that about the bloody pole!

Steve Reed said...

It's a cool design, isn't it? Just needs a paint job!

Steve Reed said...

Good point! LOL

Steve Reed said...

We liked it too. It had a kind of "Brokeback Mountain" feel to it.

Steve Reed said...

While he evidently had some serious psychiatric issues, he may NOT have been psychotic -- completely detached from reality. But yeah, that's how I felt too -- this thing I learned early on and believed for years may not be true?!

Steve Reed said...

Perhaps his customers believe it's magical. I guess that's all it takes!

Steve Reed said...

It's only open two days a week, if I understood the sign correctly.

Steve Reed said...

Well, I think he WAS mentally ill. But he may not have been schizophrenic, which is the after-the-fact diagnosis he was given by the experts viewing his art.

Steve Reed said...

Interesting! Mental illness can definitely have an organic cause, and thank goodness the people treating your niece were able to pinpoint it. I'm glad she's better. "The Power of the Dog" was sad, but I enjoyed it. I didn't mean it was slow in a bad way.

Steve Reed said...

I guess they decided they should focus their magic on the process rather than the end product? LOL

Steve Reed said...

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to make a movie about Louis Wain. His story is really intriguing.

Steve Reed said...

Yes, I remember hearing that recreational outings to mental hospitals were common back then! Can you imagine? Sorry the Louis Wain movie isn't better -- but we'll probably watch it anyway.

Steve Reed said...

Me too! I guess there's a sort of urban anonymity in sitting among a bunch of people you don't know and aren't likely to ever see again.

Steve Reed said...

Absolutely!

Steve Reed said...

Yes, in addition to the Wain exhibit, there was artwork by other patients and information about mental health care over the years. It was an interesting museum.

Steve Reed said...

I think he was probably ill in one way or another, but perhaps not psychotic as was later presumed. And yes, the library definitely needs some paint! A lot of the libraries in the UK have suffered from serious budget crunches in recent years.

Steve Reed said...

That comment was definitely food for thought!

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, I think so!

Steve Reed said...

Oh, I always listen. I am an unabashed eavesdropper.

Steve Reed said...

Yes, Linda Sue did mention him not too long ago! I haven't seen that film, no. I'll watch for it!

Steve Reed said...

Oh, I can't imagine what it must have been like, when people didn't understand the nature of the illnesses and how to treat them.