Thursday, June 2, 2022

Finally, a Break


Well, it was a bit cool for a jubilee garden party yesterday, but I went anyway -- sans fascinator -- and had a good time. I wasn't there long. The party was scheduled from 3-5 p.m. and the library was open until 4:30, so I could only go for the last half hour or so. Just enough for one glass of prosecco and a chat with co-workers.

We are now on vacation until Monday. As easy as my job is, I'm feeling really depleted, so I'm thankful for some time off! This week was that awkward time when regular checkouts end and all materials are due back, so kids checking out books yesterday found themselves with a due date of -- yesterday! (Fine for a short graphic novel but awkward for any regular-sized book.) Summer checkouts begin next week, though, so I told them to ignore the due date and just return their stuff Monday. Then, whatever they get during the next week and a half will be due in September.


Here are some photos I've taken in the garden over the past few weeks and never got around to using. The top one is some kind of crawly bug on one of our roses. Above is a ladybug (ladybird) larva on a rather anemic-looking foxglove.


Here's another larva on a rose bud. I'm always happy to see these little guys because not only do they eat aphids, they mean another generation of ladybugs.


And finally, I couldn't resist another picture of the parakeet invaders (plus a starling) on the bird feeder. As you can see, Mrs. Russia's complaining has done nothing to keep them away!

Speaking of which, when I looked out the window this morning I saw our peanut feeder had been knocked completely off the pole and was lying on the ground. Of course, all the peanuts were gone. I can't even imagine how some critter got into it. I'll re-hang it today and we'll see whether it was a one-off or if someone out there is too smart for his or her own good. (Because if it gets knocked down again, I'll leave it down.)

Dave and I watched an excellent short series on Netflix called "Bad Vegan," about a restaurateur in New York City whose boyfriend (and eventual husband) bilks her of all her money and destroys her business. It's a fascinating, mind-blowing story -- once again you can't help wondering how people get suckered into these situations. (She wasn't altogether innocent either.) We binged it over two nights. It's really well-done.

24 comments:

River said...

Is it possible a squirrel knocked off the peanut feeder to get some nuts?

Jennifer said...

Enjoy your long weekend, Steve. When does your school dismiss for the summer? I'm headed to work for my last day this year and I couldn't be happier! :)

Boud said...

Squirrels would be my first suspect. They've dragged entire suet holders away from my feeder until I got one too complicated for them to get it off the stand, requiring a full circle turn. Maybe I could get some parakeets to compete with them.

Bob said...

I just came off a four-day weekend for Memorial Day, and now I can help but think I need one every week.

Ed said...

My school libraries were so small, I probably read them out within a year of entering that building. But I don't recall that they allowed us to check out books for an entire summer, not that it would have done me any good if they had. I would get through my limit usually within a week of checking them out. In fact, our local public library ran out of books for me when I was barely in my teens and gave me special access to the county library one county over and they waved their limit so I could check out a grocery bag full of books at a time and just return them every few weeks.

ellen abbott said...

Oh Steve, I'm disappointed. I was really looking forward to seeing that peacock feather taped to your forehead.

Ms. Moon said...

The photo of the parakeets and the starling in front of the roses is absolutely beautiful.
I watched "Bad Vegan." I don't think I liked it as much as you. For the life of me I could not figure out why the woman kept on giving that man money. So weird and bizarre.

Ellen D. said...

Love the photo of the birds and flowers! So pretty! Enjoy the Queen's celebration!

Debby said...

"You have to wonder how people get sucked into these situations..." In my 65 years, I have discovered that people get sucked into the situation due to their own greed. They see an opportunity to make big bucks in front of them and jump on it, ignoring all the red flags.

The pair of parakeets hanging off the feeder and looking off to the left look as if they are saying, "What's that crazy old bat yelling about?"

Red said...

At the end of the school year everybody has had enough. they just want the year to end.

jenny_o said...

It's hard to keep soldiering on when you're feeling worn out. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming :)

NewRobin13 said...

Love seeing the parakeets and flowers there. So beautiful. When we had a bird-seed feeder in our yard years ago, some critter would come and knock it down at night. So, we started taking it in at night and bringing it back out in the morning.

Pixie said...

The birds are lovely; it's a great shot. Enjoy your time off Steve.

Sharon said...

There is a lot of "wildlife" in your garden. I love that parakeet photo.

Kelly said...

It's interesting to see the Starling and the Parakeet together. Unless you have very small Starlings over there, the Parakeets are much larger than I thought they were! Add me to those who think your culprit is a squirrel. They're relentless thieves.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Thanks for the reco of Bad Vegan. Will add to out list. Just finished the final season of El Marginal. Excellent. Your photos are always a pleasure to see. These garden photos are exceptional. I’ve seen the some-king-of-crawly-bug before. I wonder what that is in the original Latin.

Allison said...

Have you seen the new Bosch:Legacy? It's on FreeTV, accessed from Amazon prime, free with commercials. We liked it, maybe not quite as good as the original series, but worth watching. The plot moves quickly, so one must pay attention. I love the Ringnecks, they are such beautiful birds. Not being caged allows their tails to stay beautiful and not broken.

Margaret said...

I remember how much I needed those breaks at the end of the year. SO much to do! I finished "Severance" and am now at loose ends with TV programs. But I have several books I'm reading.

gz said...

Good to see ladybug/bird larvae munching on aphids!!

Enjoy your break..sounds like you need it.

Rachel Phillips said...

I enjoyed Bad Vegan too.

Anonymous said...

Strange looking bugs indeed.

Jeanie said...

I would think the end of the year would be really busy in a school library between tracking down things, returns, summer checks. I'm glad you could get to the party at least for a few! A glass of prosecco is a plus on any work day!

Steve Reed said...

River: Yes, it was a squirrel. I know this only because I later saw him (her?) in action. The thing is, the feeder hook is screwed onto a bolt, and even if that becomes unscrewed and the whole thing falls to the ground, there's another brace across the top of the feeder tube. The squirrel managed to unscrew the bolt AND move that brace to get to the peanuts. I am impressed!

Jennifer: We still have two weeks left, amazingly. :(

Boud: The parakeets might scare them away, at least! :)

Bob: I KNOW! Never mind a four-day work week -- how about a THREE-day one?

Ed: I wish I could go back in time and more fully explore my school libraries. I remember checking out Agatha Christie and Kurt Vonnegut and Star Trek novels and Ray Bradbury -- but I feel like I probably didn't adequately explore all they had to offer.

Ellen: Ha! I'm such a tease!

Ms Moon: That was part of what made it so intriguing for me. WHAT WAS SHE THINKING? But as they pointed out at the end, she was trying to use him as much as he was using her.

Ellen D: Glad you enjoyed it! I love seeing it live! (The birds and flowers, I mean.)

Debby: Absolutely. Some people have an amazing ability to see only what they want to see. (I like to think I'm different but I'm probably not.)

Red: Amen. I am definitely feeling that way.

Jenny-O: That IS what it feels like -- dog-paddling in the deep end!

Robin: Oh, that's a thought. I hadn't even considered that!

Pixie: Glad you like it!

Sharon: We do have a lot of wild activity. Just the other night a fox walked right past the back door. Of course I didn't have my camera handy!

Kelly: Yeah, they're BIG! When I say "parakeet" people picture small birds, but they're really parrot-sized. I'm not sure what makes them parakeets as opposed to parrots. (Or even if there's much of a difference.)

Mitchell: Insectivus crawlius?

Allison: I have not seen that! I should check it out, though I may have to wait until Dave is otherwise occupied as he ran out of patience with "Bosch."

Margaret: I hadn't heard of "Severance," but it looks interesting. Maybe we'll try it! (I think I'd have to renew Apple TV, though.)

GZ: Those ladybugs/birds are hard workers and I'm glad to have them!

Rachel: It was amazing, right? I couldn't believe how many bad decisions that woman made, over and over.

Andrew: I guess bugs are almost all inherently strange when you look closely enough.

Jeanie: YES! You have summed up my end-of-year experience exactly. It is always a busy time.

Edna B said...

I love seeing the birds on your feeder. We don't get parakeets here. Enjoy your yard, hugs, Edna B.