Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Wildflowers in the Moat


Yesterday was busy as all get-out. Both Dave and I had medical stuff to do -- I had a chest x-ray at the Royal Free Hospital in the morning and Dave had an MRI down by London Bridge in the afternoon. The x-ray (a precautionary measure, no big deal) was easy. I walked to the hospital with my form from my doctor's office, bought a coffee at the lobby cafe and sat down in the waiting room with a couple of New Yorker magazines, thinking I'd be there a while. Instead, I was done before I even finished the coffee! I drank it on the patio in front of the hospital before I walked home.

The MRI involved both of us taking the tube down into London, and while Dave dealt with the big magnet, I took a walk. I crossed London Bridge and walked along the north shore of the Thames. It was a beautiful day so there were tons of people out, and I admired the views of Tower Bridge (above) and all the ornate architecture along the river.

After mentioning writer Barbara Pym in yesterday's post, I was stunned to find this scrawled on a wall on the riverbank:


What are the odds?! It's like the universe is affirming my desire to read her books.


I found a good reflective window, perfect for a self-portrait.


At the Tower of London, I was impressed by the colorful wildflowers that have been planted in the dry moat, which is normally just plain grass. This is part of an event called Superbloom,  meant to both attract pollinators and celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee. Apparently you can buy tickets and wander among the flowers, and there are some other attractions, too -- but I just enjoyed it from the free sidewalks above.


I crossed Tower Bridge and popped in to see Antony Donaldson's "Waterfall" fountain in the Shad Thames neighborhood, which I've photographed a couple of times. Five or six years ago there were controversial plans to move it. I'm not sure what ultimately happened, but the fountain is still there.


Then I made my way back along the riverfront to the hospital. You hear lots of interesting things walking through crowds. I passed a woman sitting on the wall beside the path, saying into her phone, "I told him to stop gaslighting me!"

Dave's MRI went fine, though they did give him some mildly sedating drugs, so we took a tube straight home. And it's a good thing we did, because no sooner did we get here than Mrs. Kravitz called and said she had an emergency -- her dog-walker was dropping off her dog and she wasn't home. Could we watch it for her until she returned in 20 minutes?

I resisted the urge to ask her why her dog-walker couldn't unlock her door and leave the dog by itself, as ours does with Olga. Instead I just said fine, which is how we wound up with this in our garden:


His name is Cherry. As you can see, Olga basically ignored him. I played fetch with both of them, but then Mrs. K's "20 minutes" turned into an hour. I was glad when she finally showed up to take him home.

It's a good thing we got all this done yesterday, because today there's a massive tube and rail strike that's going to paralyze public transportation in London and all over the country. Everyone is advised not to travel, so Dave and I will be staying home. I'd planned to meet a friend from my Peace Corps years, who's visiting town with her family, but we've put that off until later in the week.

23 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

Going back to Pym, Paula Byrne's biography was published last year and a lot has been written on Pym since then. It was only after reading the various reviews of Byrne's book that I looked out for a Barbara Pym novel when I was in charity shops. I soon found one and was not disappointed. I will now read today's post. Have you considered going back to embedded comments again, would make responding much easier for you?

Moving with Mitchell said...

Thanks for this wonderful sightseeing tour. Mrs. Kravitz is a pip. Cherry looks sweet. Is he slightly neurotic? (I would be.) I wonder why Mrs. Kravitz named him Cherry. (And I want express all the other thoughts running through my head.) Olga is such a snob. How fortunate your appointments were yesterday and not today.

Peter said...

So is Barbara Phm being "discovered" again. I remember about twenty five years ago someone wrote a review of this "forgotton" novelest and she was all the rage. Her novels are slow and quiet.

Bob said...

I love the dry moat being put to good, and rather pretty, use.

Anonymous said...

Kind of you to look after Mrs Kravitz's dog, but what else to do! The fountain is nice.

Ed said...

The diversity of your environment in London always amazes me and makes me want to visit it again.

Ellen D. said...

You are a good neighbor! Hope the strike doesn't last long.
The wildflowers are lovely. Will they keep them there after the Jubilee? Or is the space used for something else?

The Bug said...

I saw a post about Superbloom on FB the other day - just glorious!! And Cherry is a cutie. I love that Mrs. K isn't your favorite person, but she still thinks she can ask you for favors.

Ms. Moon said...

Too bad they can't keep the moat as a moat. With alligator gars and other menacing fish swimming about in it. If that's not possible, I suppose that wildflowers are a good second choice...
I love that fountain. If they want to move it to my backyard I would happily accept that.
I'm sure that Cherry enjoyed the visit.
And I hope all is well with Dave!

NewRobin13 said...

I loved this walk that you so beautifully photographed, Ah, London, it makes me so happy to see it through your eyes.
Very kind and neighborly of you to watch Mrs Kravitz's dog. Cherry looks like a cute doggie to watch for a little while.

Pixie said...

I'm glad you two got your medical appointments out of the way before the strike. Good timing or serendipity?

Cherry looks like a sweet dog. Is he a labradoodle? He looks like my girlfriend's dog who loves to eat diapers and socks.

That dry moat is beautiful. Why don't we do that more?

Red said...

You saw a lot on good walk. I wish we had the transportation system you have. I have to go 20 miles for some surgery and have to get rides as I can't drive after the surgery.

Sharon said...

I heard about the rail strike on the news this morning. That must really mess things up in such a busy city. I'm so glad to see my favorite fountain again. I thought they had moved it so I'm equally glad to know it's still there. I love the flowers in the moat.

Margaret said...

The weather looks beautiful, as do the sights! Making the best of medical appointments is a positive; I always treat myself to a mocha after I'm finished with any test. :) That dog appears gigantic--probably just the perspective!

Wilma said...

walking across Tower Bridge and then seeing it raised for a big yacht to pass under was one of the many highlights to my London visit in 2017.

gz said...

Sounds like a relaxed day that you packed a lot into!
Hmm...the wildflowers are a grand idea...but paying to see them?!

That's a lovely fountain...makes you think of the "Floozie in the Jacuzzi" in Dublin?!!

Kelly said...

Cherry is cute and he's the second male Cherry I've come across recently. The other is a human. I've learned never to make assumptions when I hear a name.

Catalyst said...

That fountain is . . . . really something.
Were you tempted to tell Mrs. Kravitz "You said it would only be 20 minutes so when that time came I just opened the door and tossed him out. I have no idea what happened to him." ? I guess I'm more evil than you, Steve.

Steve Reed said...

Rachel: Perhaps Byrne's book is the reason for the article I recently read about Pym in The New Yorker. Unfortunately some of my commenters are unable to comment using the embedded system, so for now I'll have to stick to this one.

Mitchell: Cherry is an amazingly chill dog considering his owner!

Peter: Apparently she's going through another resurgence!

Bob: I agree! I think it looks spectacular.

Andrew: Yeah, I couldn't really say "no," could I?

Ed: There's always plenty to see!

Ellen D: That space is usually just empty grass, as I recall. Using it for wildflowers is a brilliant idea.

Bug: That's partly WHY she's not my favorite person. LOL

Ms Moon: It seems like the ancient moats I've seen are almost always dry. I guess they fill in over time.

Robin: Cherry is a good dog. I could probably have left him alone in the garden but I wanted to make sure he didn't get up to anything because Mrs. K would never forgive me! So I supervised his entire time here.

Pixie: I think he's a "goldendoodle," which is basically the same thing.

Red: North America still lags far behind when it comes to public transport -- which I guess makes sense because the distances are so much greater.

Margaret: He is about twice as big as Olga, but yeah, the perspective makes him seem larger too!

Wilma: I think I've seen it raised, but now I can't be sure!

GZ: I think when you pay you get access to more than just the flowers -- there are some additional exhibits and attractions.

Kelly: Ha! There was an older man who attended my church when I was a child who was also known as "Cherry." My mom always laughed and said she wasn't going to ask him how he got that name!

Catalyst: Ha! Well, I wouldn't want to punish the dog -- only the owner! LOL

ellen abbott said...

I guess the universe thinks you are meant to read Pym.

Seems like moving that very nice fountain would be a huge endeavor. Maybe that's why they decided not to.

Debby said...

Londent! I love that name. I recognized the pictures from the Tower of London right away. Such a walkable city!

Steve Reed said...

Sharon: Sorry I missed you earlier. Your comment was in spam! I knew you'd appreciate seeing your fountain again. :)

Ellen: Yeah, I can't even imagine what it would take to move that thing! It looks to me like they've cleaned it since I last saw it, too.

Debby: I was laughing at "Londent" too! Points for creativity.

37paddington said...

Oh my goodness, I hadn't heard about the transit strike! Lovely excuse to stay home, though, especially since you got in a satisfying outing the day before—and took us along! Thank you! Lovely flowers in the moat.