Monday, June 13, 2022

Shed


I must say, one thing about having an old dog who's fickle about her walks is that I get a lot more time in the garden. And this is not a bad thing. Yesterday I spent all morning pottering around (and where else does one potter, except in a garden?). Weirdly, I can't remember my specific activities except deadheading the roses, but I did a bunch of stuff.

That's our Rachel de Thame lupine, above, finally at full mast. We have one more lupine still to bloom -- our yellow one. It had a bud but it was late in coming and the flower is taking more time, for some reason.

I do remember my major task of the morning yesterday:


This horrible mess was the interior of our patio shed, a tiny, narrow, roughly two-foot wide structure built onto the side of the house. (In the "side return," in fact -- the scene at the top of yesterday's post is behind the shed, leading to the street.) Doesn't it look like the scene of a cataclysmic event?

I'm typically a neat person, but for some reason my habit with the garden shed is just to throw things in there willy-nilly -- particularly plastic pots, of which we had about a million.

So yesterday, I pulled everything out of the shed, swept the concrete floor, organized the contents, threw away a bunch of stuff including at least half of the pots and five old yard waste bags, and put what we wanted back inside. And we wound up with this:


Much better! I don't have any illusions that this will last, but at least now I can reach stuff on the back shelf. You can't see the shelf because it's above the frame of the photo above. So here...


...is a close-up.

Aren't you glad you read my blog?

Seriously, I felt a huge sense of accomplishment getting this monumental task done. There are a couple of things still to be addressed (of course). One is a lawn mower that was hidden beneath all the debris in the shed. It's a small thing that looks like an orange UFO with a handle, mostly plastic, and we've never used it -- it came with the flat. I'm not sure it works and I can't imagine ever mowing the lawn with it. I wrote the landlords and asked if I could get rid of it, and they said yes. So I'm going to put it on Freecycle (along with our own old mower -- at the moment we have three mowers) and get it out of here. Ditto our old garden hose.

I also planted some jimsonweed (datura) seeds that I collected and saved from the plant I grew last year. I have no idea whether they're even fertile, but we'll see.

We Skyped last night with Dave's parents, who have come up with a whole agenda for our trip to Michigan at the beginning of August. And I've been texting with my brother, who says Mom is still improving and hopefully will be getting out of the hospital today. Fingers crossed!

25 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

You’ll be pleased to know I find this blog post extremely exciting.

So glad to read about your mother.

Hope your in-laws planning your agenda is OK with you guys.

Frances said...

Now that you know how to do it, please come and sort out my shed!! Part of the problem is that I can't move anything as there might be a big spider lurking behind or under.
Good news about your Mum. I hope that she will be home soon.

River said...

I did some major cleaning myself today. It involved a puddle of cat wee on my floor...ugh!

Michael said...

I always love looking at an organized space! That feeling I inherited from my mother.

The Padre said...

Good On You - Well Done Brother Reed

Cheers

Pixie said...

I have a small shed that looks pretty much the same as your before shot. You've inspired me to clean mine out. We have two weeks off in another week and aren't going anywhere so I'll have time, hopefully.

gz said...

Shed tidying is satisfying when done..hope it lasts!!

Ms. Moon said...

Our shed is far worse than that. It's a damn mess is what it is.
That lupine is truly special.

Sharon said...

Beautiful lupine bloom. You did a good job cleaning out that little shed. I need to do that with the one on my balcony. It's getting pretty cluttered.

NewRobin13 said...

Uh-oh I thought sheds were supposed to look like that... chaos. Nice job getting it organized.
Beautiful lupine and great news about your mom. Yay!

Linda Sue said...

You are a champion tidier! You have organizational skills that are highly admirable. If I have two things in front of me I can organize them -anything as monumental as a two foot shed- NOPE, just close the door. How satisfying your work looks, well done, and thanks to Olga NOT wanting to walk all day, you got the chance to improve your space.

Ellen D. said...

The shed clean-out was a really satisfying chore! You can really see the difference you made. I bet that felt great when you were done!
We can all tell that you spend a lot of time in your garden because it really looks terrific! Well done!

Red said...

I just found out that I've been spelling potter wrong all my life. I thought it was putter!

Bob said...

I, too, am not a neat freak but I love when things are orderly.
That Rachel de Thame lupine is gorgeous, as regal and beautiful as her name.

Wilma said...

That lupine!

Boud said...

Lovely lupin! And my equivalent of a shed, the outside storage, is pretty good since the great winnowing. I have to keep it that way because it houses the breaker box and my tools that everyone in the neighborhood uses, and they need access!

Kelly said...

That's a mighty narrow shed! It certainly looks neat now. Care to come tidy up some things here?

Hopefully getting to go home will be just what your mom needs for a full recovery. Will you make a point of seeing her when you and Dave come stateside in August?

Margaret said...

That's a huge improvement! Tidying up makes me feel more powerful and gives me a sense of accomplishment. Starting the project is the hardest part.

jenny_o said...

@ Red: putter and potter are both used!

@ Steve: Great job! I have a garage and a basement that could use the same treatment. How does a trip to Canada sound? lol

Seriously, that may be a tiny shed, but your industriousness has given it back its purpose.

Allison said...

It's great that you have a shed. We do not, so it all goes in the garage, which is already a tight squeeze. It keeps me from accumulating, so I guess that's good. The shed looks really good.

Sabine said...

I always thought that garden sheds were called pottering sheds, not potting sheds. But at least you sorted the pots.

The Bug said...

Our shed looks very much like your before picture but I don't see us getting it organized anytime soon. And actually, we should probably wait until cold weather because who KNOWS what lives in there now!

ellen abbott said...

We had a narrow closet in the garage like that, about 2' winde and 4' deep. Impossible to organize anything in there with no shelves or peg board with hooks for hanging stuff. When we redid the house after the flood I had that closet taken out. Now I keep the stuff that was thrown in there in the barn where it's all neat and orderly (ha ha).

Jeanie said...

Definitely a narrow shed -- and you did a brilliant job cleaning it up! Well done -- I hope you celebrated with whatever special treat sounded good! (And yes, I'm glad I read your blog!). Thanks for coming by the other day -- I love your comments.

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: YES! It's a huge relief, in fact. They considered what we said we wanted to do and put together a plan. They even made our hotel reservations!

Frances: I must confess, I did encounter many spiders.

Michael: Me too! It feels so much better to open that door now.

Padre: Thank you! We have to get our boosts wherever we can, right?

Pixie: Excellent! The clean-shed movement is catching! LOL

GZ: It probably won't in the long run, but it might in the short term.

Ms Moon: Ours is just too small to get much messier than that!

Robin: A little bit of chaos is OK, but that was a tad too much.

Linda Sue: I must confess I was stymied at the beginning, facing that pile of junk, and I decided I had to just start throwing things out. Disposal is a good first step. And then I took it from there.

Red: I think putter works too! It means the same thing.

Bob: Rachel de Thame, as you may know, is a British TV presenter who worked on "Gardener's World" for many years (and still shows up from time to time). Someone named that lupine hybrid for her.

Wilma: Isn't it nice?

Boud: As long as other people don't put stuff IN there, you'll be OK!

Kelly: It is ridiculously narrow. I can step inside and turn around, but only barely. I won't be seeing my mom in the summer because we'll be up north in Michigan the whole time. I'll probably see her at Christmas, though.

Margaret: It's true. Getting started was tough. That's why I only do it once every couple years!

Jenny-O: I'm sure it would be harder with a bigger space, where a lot more stuff would accumulate before I took any action!

Allison: We actually have TWO sheds. We have another in the back corner of the garden, but it basically only houses the lawn mower.

Sabine: I guess one potters in a potting shed? (As well as potting.)

Bug: Yeah, there is a huge advantage to being here and knowing there are no snakes in there (for example).

Ellen: It's very hard to keep such an awkward space orderly. This one is about two feet wide and probably eight feet long. So stuff in the back is REALLY in the back!

Jeanie: Thanks! It feels good to get positive reinforcement on a job well done. (And on blogging, too!)