Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Slacker


As you can tell, I'm feeling a bit lazy about posting these days! There hasn't been a whole heck of a lot going on around here, so I haven't exactly been holding back. But I thought I better put a post up just to let the world know I'm still around.

It's rainy today, but nonetheless I've been enjoying the weather lately because it seems vaguely spring-like. Something about the light during the past week seemed to change -- the intensity, the angle, something. The sun seemed brighter, the air softer. Even the rain is nice, washing away the accumulated snow and revealing the grass once again. (I know the dogs are happy about that -- they no longer have to leap through the snow like gazelles.)

I was in the city yesterday to get an old filling replaced -- it was an old amalgam filling that I got at least 20 years ago, one of only two in my mouth, and frankly I was happy to get rid of it. Fortunately the procedure was very mild and took only about 30 minutes. (And I still have health insurance to pay for it -- yay!) After the filling I went walking, and took some nice photos in Chinatown and Tribeca.

Dave and I went in Friday to get his auto registration updated and get him a New Jersey driver's license. But it turns out he needs a birth certificate or a passport to prove his identity -- he has neither readily available -- and his old license from Michigan isn't sufficient. (This must have something to do with homeland security, though I imagine your average Somali terrorist would have no trouble faking a birth certificate if need be.) Anyway, we were stymied in our efforts and now we have to get the appropriate documentation before we can go back. Bureaucracy!

(Photo: Wall in the East Village, last week.)

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I was wondering when you might surface again. I'm glad you are taking advantage of your health insurance before it changes/runs out. I can sympathize with Dave's frustrations. 9/11 had a profound effect on so many aspects of life, yes?

We're getting more snow on Thursday, so it's not over yet unfortunately.

Reya Mellicker said...

National security measures seem - to me - to be so random. Does the need to produce a birth certificate in order to get a driver's license make me feel safer?

Uh. NO!

utahDOG! said...

oh sure. Blame the government.