Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Moss


I was walking Olga yesterday morning when I noticed these little water droplets on some moss growing atop a brick wall near our house. Even though I was running late, with about a million things to do, I had to stop on my way to work and take pictures!

Back when I lived in New York, I occasionally browsed in a great shop in Soho called Moss. Maybe it's still there. They had shelves of overpriced but really interesting, artistic gadgets and tchotchkes. I don't think I ever bought anything there, though.

When it comes to moss, I prefer the real thing.

The first day back after a break is always a bit of a shocker. Lots of materials coming back to the library, a week's worth of magazines to be catalogued and racked, preparations beginning for the days and weeks ahead. I had a crazy, frustrating morning -- which isn't worth going into in detail -- but things evened out later in the day.

I mailed off my absentee ballot yesterday, so my vote for the presidential primary is in. Despite his win in South Carolina, I can't get too worried about Trump. I still don't think he can be a serious contender and I think he can be nothing but good news for the Democrats. I hope I'm right!

16 comments:

alphabet soup said...

I look at the photo and totally understand why you are a member of that exalted society of photographers, whose name I can never remember.

Ms Soup.

Shooting Parrots said...

Beautiful photo. Why do I never spot things like this? :)

Rafe's Hotel said...

First time to comment, but I love reading your blog. Whenever I've been in London, I've walked -- and walked and walked -- but obviously never as thoroughly as you have.

Hope you are right (and I think you are) about Trump. The biggest worry now is if his continued presence convinces Michael Bloomberg to run; MB could siphon off votes, as he would be haven for those who can't do Trump but don't like Clinton.

Thanks again for a very enjoyable read.

herding tapeworms said...

so glad you stopped to take that picture! it's incredible

Ms. Moon said...

I hope you're right too.
Amazing photo.

e said...

Great photo!

ellen abbott said...

gorgeous photo. and if, by some horrible turn of fate Trump does get elected I think he's going to be in for a big surprise. being president entails a lot more than giving speeches.

Sharon said...

Wow, Steve that photo is fantastic. I love it.
I hope you are right about Trump. I heard a comment yesterday that he originally got in the race as a lark but when he started leading in the poles he got serious and decided to stay.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

You have introduced me to a new word! "tchotchke" - I had to .look it up but I doubt that I will be using it any time soon. I prefer the English "thingamabob" which has pretty much the same meaning.

Lynne said...

Beautiful and ethereal!

Red said...

Great photo of moss. I've been there a million times coming back after a break!

jenny_o said...

I think this is my favourite of all your photos I've seen to date.

And I hope you're right about Trump. I cannot wait for the time when he does not have the pulpit he currently has from which to preach.

Linda Sue said...

delicate, lovely!

Jennifer said...

I have nothing but respect for a person who takes the time the appreciate the beauty in small ordinary things.

I sure hope you're right about Trump.

John Going Gently said...

Lovely photo...magical

The Bug said...

Gorgeous photo! It would make a great Facebook cover photo :)