Sunday, July 10, 2022

A Swim, but Not for Me


My fever was pretty much gone yesterday, thank goodness. Whatever I had, it was basically a 24-hour bug. (Some of you asked about a Covid test, and yes, I took one -- and it was negative.)

Still, I felt like a wrung-out washcloth, partly because my appetite isn't quite back. So I stuck with my plan to stay home as Dave set off for Norfolk. Just before he left to catch his train I decided to take Olga for a walk, thinking we'd just circle the block.

Well, Olga had other plans. She took me for a long meander through Hampstead (where we spotted the colorful patio above) and all the way to Hampstead Heath! This dog is full of surprises. It may seem strange that the dog dictates where we walk, but she firmly communicates which way she wants to go, pulling one way and resisting the other. I guess I figure it's her walk, so why not let her decide the route?


She rolled in the Heath's high grass while I admired the bright pink fireweed (aka rosebay willowherb) and the yellow ragwort painting the fields. She then made a beeline for Vale of Heath Pond, where there's a little beach ideal for dogs. It was pretty warm yesterday, and I'm not sure how Olga even knew about this pond, because it's not something we typically passed on our many Heath walks. Maybe she smelled it, or distantly heard the other dogs there. She got right into the water and I could feel her sense of relief. (Incidentally, sorry about all the barking in that video -- that little white dog would not shut up!!)

Could it be that Olga took us all the way to the Heath because she knew she could swim there? Am I attributing too much intelligence to my dog?

Anyway, we didn't stay long on the Heath itself and we took the Overground train home.

I spent the afternoon working on my photo archives -- an endless task, especially if, like me, you have something like 75,000 photos. I keep all of them backed up on hard drives and the better ones on Flickr, as well as many on old-fashioned CDs. I also have Dave's old photos archived (such as they are -- he usually leaves the photography to me). They're all only useful if they're organized.

In the evening I watched "The Towering Inferno," which (like all '70s disaster films) is cinematic comfort food for me. I was raised on those movies and they take me right back to childhood. I love watching all the old Hollywood stars and I still feel the suspense even though I know not only what's going to happen, but most of the dialogue!

I will say, though, that "Inferno" has darker overtones now because of 9/11. When it was made, the specter of a disastrous fire in a supertall building was pretty much theoretical. You see the firefighters doing things like setting up a command station in the lobby and you want to shout, "NO!" And when, near the end, the fire chief warns that some day a high-rise fire could kill thousands -- well, 27 years later, we all lived it, didn't we? (Obviously, 9/11 wasn't just a fire, but still.)

Also, can we talk about the spaceman music headphones that "Bobby Brady" wears in his scene with Jennifer Jones early in the movie?


What the heck are those?! Even to me, a child of the '70s, they're ridiculous.

27 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

So great to see Olga enjoying herself (and in charge). I never did get into those disaster movies. As a hippie child of the ’60s, I was too cool to admit I enjoyed the lunacy. However, I do remember those headphones and thinking, “What the hell are those?!?”

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I think you must be attributing too much intelligence to your dog as they tend to take after their owners. And on that theme - it's Vale of Heath not Vail. Glad to hear you are much better after the food poisoning episode.

Boud said...

Lovely movie, and I'm glad you're better. The little white dog is a backseat swimmer.

River said...

I would think Towering Inferno would bring thoughts of that Grenfell building that went up a few years ago because of the cladding which wasn't suitable.
Olga makes me smile. I love that colourful little patio.

Ed said...

From her perspective, since she dictates where you walk, perhaps she looks at it as taking you for a walk. She probably chose it so you would have something different to photograph.

Bob said...

Love all the rainbows. Makes me smile.

NewRobin13 said...

Love that video, the flowers are so beautiful and Olga is adorable. It's interesting to see how each of the dogs behave differently in that pond.
Really glad you are feeling better, Steve. Yay!

Ellen D. said...

You must be feeling better to have the energy for a long walk with Olga. It looked very enjoyable - flowers for you and swimming with dogs for her. Perfect choice, Olga!

Sharon said...

I'm glad you are feeling better and I enjoyed that little video, barking and all.

Kelly said...

What a pleasing video... even with the barking dog (who I think was afraid to go in any deeper and didn't like the others being where he/she couldn't get to them). I loved when the black dog bounded into the water!

Is there an obvious purpose for all those rainbow cups?

Marcia LaRue said...

Yes, I loved the video as well! Who knew rolling in tall grass could be so satisfying? I had to laugh at that black dog that went romping into the water ... that one was really enjoying the pond!
Olga knows what is good for you both!

Marcia LaRue said...

I had to watch again and realized Olga had her tennis ball with her in the grass and in the water!

Margaret said...

Glad you're better. Watching a movie that predicts (in a small way) the 9-11 tragedy would be eerie.

Linda Sue said...

Veil of heeth- for Mr, Puddin'

The dogs are so much fun- the little white yapping worrier is trying to warn, I think.

Allison said...

What a perfectly glorious day for a walk and a swim. Glad you are feeling better. GI events do wipe a person out.

cats and dogs said...

Hello,
Could you please add my blog CatsDogs on your blog list.
I've added yours on mine.
Thank you
https://pets876.blogspot.com/

Mage said...

That is a delicious video.

John Going Gently said...

The boys name was Michael lookinland

John Going Gently said...

I know the whole script by heart

Red said...

Good that you have recovered. Dogs train us (me) not the other way around.

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better, Steve. Even if not all the way -- better than before. And yes, dogs do have their own minds and you're right -- it's her walk!

Those are seriously weird headphones!

Anonymous said...

The bark of envy by a coward.
I have seen Towering Inferno, but obviously it is not a film I watch now.
I agree, it is strange that Olga 'found' the water.

37paddington said...

Towering Inferno! Oh you took me back! I think the Die Hard movies resonated because so much of the audience had been weaned on movies like Towering Inferno. I'm really glad you're feeling better. I heard a story today about someone else with intense symptoms exactly as you described, which resolved in 24 or so hours. There may be a particular bug going around.

jenny_o said...

I loved the video! Great camera work on the flying insect hunting for pollen and the group of butterflies, and beautiful colours. And of course Olga - that pink spotted tummy :D She looks so contented rolling in the grass, and smiling when she looks back at you :) Glad you are feeling better. If I had to say one good thing about being sick, it would be that when you feel better again you can really appreciate it, at least until the memory fades!

Elizabeth said...

Oh my gosh, I totally remember going to the movie theater to see "The Towering Inferno" and how we thought it was soooooo scary! I, too, have great nostalgia for those old films and anything, really, from our childhood in the sixties and seventies. Thanks for a little "cast me back there" feeling!

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: It's funny that you remember them. I guess each side worked independently, like a transistor radio, and thus needed its own antenna? Seems dubious.

YP: On the contrary, this dog is much smarter than me.

Boud: Ha! "You're doing it all wrong!"

River: Well, that too, but Grenfell (horrible as it was) wasn't really a skyscraper in the same vein as the building in the movie or the World Trade Center.

Ed: She seems to know she's not in charge, but she makes her wishes known.

Bob: I agree!

Robin: Dogs really do have their own personalities (dog-alities?) which become apparent in group situations like that.

Ellen D: I only BARELY had the energy. I couldn't believe she wanted such a long walk.

Sharon: They do look like they're having fun, don't they?

Kelly: I assume the cups are for plants, and just haven't been planted out? Other than that guess, no obvious purpose that I could discern.

Marcia: Olga LOVES tall grass. And she rarely goes anywhere without a tennis ball! (In fact we started carrying tennis balls rather than her Kong toys because tennis balls float and Kongs do not!)

Margaret: It does have that eerie feeling now.

Linda Sue: Vial of Meat? Whale of Heat?

Allison: They really do. I'm surprised how depleted I've felt even days later.

Filharmonia: Thanks for introducing me to your blog! Welcome to blogging!

Mage: Isn't it?

John: Yes, Mike Lookinland, who played Bobby Brady on the TV show "The Brady Bunch" (which all of us in American of a certain age watched obsessively as children). I know the movie "Earthquake" best of all, but this one and "Poseidon" are close seconds.

Red: It's true! Dogs are the bosses in so many ways.

Jeanie: I'm glad you also think they're weird. I don't remember anything like that being sold in stores. They must have been a short-lived product.

Andrew: Envy or perhaps fear? Maybe that little dog is barking "Be careful! Be careful!"

37P: Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about "Die Hard" -- definitely in the same vein! Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in the mysterious 24-hour illness department.

Jenny-O: It's true -- the return to normalcy is wonderful after feeling so bad.

Elizabeth: Have you heard of the book "Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful?" by Kenneth Walsh? I used to work with him at the Times and his memoir is all about growing up in that era. I read it years ago and it's a quick read but enjoyable.

ellen abbott said...

Those headphones were probably state of the art! And no I don't think you are attributing too much intelligence to Olga. Dogs are smart. Minnie knows where she wants to go on her walks though I don't always acquiesce especially when it's really hot and she wants to go down the street with no shade.