Thursday, July 21, 2022

Armchair Traveling With Postcards


Let's take a break from the weather and check out some of the old postcards I picked up recently at the antique market in Covent Garden.

First, one that I clearly had to buy, given that it's from my home state -- Florida! Or "The Everglade State," as it is rather mysteriously called on this card. (I've never heard anyone use the nickname "The Everglade State," which, by the way, is wrong, because it's Everglades, plural. I guess "The Sunshine State" eventually eclipsed it as a nickname. There's nothing confusing about sunshine.)

Anyway, this seems like an all-purpose card that could be sold anywhere in Florida, with no specific location given for that picture. The image is credited to the Burgert Brothers, who were well-known photographers in Tampa. Fortunately, their entire archive is now online through the Hillsborough County Public Library, and I was able to find the original photo, which was taken on First Street in Fort Myers -- where there are still lots of palm trees.

Get a load of the card's caption:

"Florida offers in bountiful measure glorious vistas of tropical jungle and violet sea, sky blue lakes and limpid streams, crystal clear springs, shining beaches and palm-crowned keys, orchards and gardens, historical shrines and pleasure palaces, sports and recreations for everyone and the blissful privilege of relaxing and resting in the health giving warmth of Florida's golden sunshine."

Whew! Some Chamber of Commerce ad man really went overboard. Of course he failed to mention the stifling heat, gigantic mosquitoes and cockroaches, rattlesnakes and moccasins, and ravenous alligators.


Back to England, now. The "First and Last House" is at Land's End in Cornwall, the very southwestern tip of the country. It's so named because it's the first house you encounter if you're traveling east into England and the last if you're headed west, out to sea. (Not that anyone actually does this at that specific point.) Apparently it still exists as a tourist attraction.

The card was mailed from Penzance to Redhill, Surrey, in 1955:

"We are spending the day at Land's End. It is glorious and you can see for miles. We are thoroughly enjoying it. Eileen has just taken a snap of us outside here. We have passed through Truro and Penzance. The weather is grand. We are off to some pottery works. -- Lily"


Finally, an old street scene. At first I thought I'd have trouble figuring out this location, but then I noticed the name of the town in very faint lettering over the roadway at the bottom of the image: Brading, Isle of Wight.

Here's the same location in July 2021. It looks remarkably similar.

There's no date on the card, but I'm thinking maybe 1910s or '20s? Someone has written on the back of the unmailed card, "Home of Sarah Warne and William Arnold." I don't know if they mean that specific house in the picture, or Brading in general. According to Ancestry, Warne and Arnold were both born in the 1870s, were married and had a daughter.

I'm always intrigued by old postcards. I'm meeting my friend Sally at Greenwich Market tomorrow -- maybe I'll find a few more!

24 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

I also love old postcards and photos, especially when you can compare them to modern views like you did with last one. Amazing how little it’s changed.

Anonymous said...

I find such postcards so interesting too but I've never bought any. I like that you check some history of the locations. Your finds are rather interesting. I hope you find some treasures in Greenwich.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I have been in "The First and Last House" - it's a gift shop now. I have also visited The Everglade State. The Everglade State is home to the great philanthropist, statesman and visionary - Sir Donald Trump who guided America through turbulent times like the captain of a great ocean liner. However, I have never been to Brading. My feeling is that the photograph is Edwardian (i.e. pre-World War I) - I say this because of the clothes the girl is wearing.

River said...

I was going to ask if anyone lives in the First and Last house, but YP says it if a gift shop. I like the street scene too. Both look like places I would like to wander around in.

Boud said...

The coloring of that first card is so familiar. I wonder if it was a common process in that era. I like how you research the images.

Tasker Dunham said...

The IoW then and now are clearly recognisable but I find the differences most interesting. Looks much busier on the postcard.

The Padre said...

Amazing Piece Of History - These Are Always Entertaining To Flip Through

Cheers

Ed said...

This post makes me remember my youth when we always picked out postcards while on vacation to send home to family. Often times, we arrived back home before the family received them and so they would receive them in our presence and lots of discussions followed. Now, we just throw up the day's activities on Facebook and by the time we get home, where we've been and what we've seen is old news.

Bob said...

That top card should have also added the great disgusting changes to Florida that lay ahead.

Colette said...

I enjoyed the reference links as much as the post! Florida postcards must be a genre to themselves. Lots of alligator cartoons.

Barbara Rogers said...

Being a former Floridian, I do agree with some of the statements by the PR man/woman. It does have its attractions, which have expanded with huge condos all along beaches, and many vacation spots like Disneyworld. Everglades isn't visited by many in comparison! Loved seeing the "then and now" shots and how buildings and roadway haven't changed.

Ms. Moon said...

Fascinating! Little windows into times past.
I have to tell you that as a child, I always wanted to live in one of those beautiful Spanish architecture houses with the stucco and red tile roofs on a gracious royal palm-lined street. Vero had a few of those, not as grand as Palm Beach or, obviously, Ft. Meyers.
Maybe next lifetime.
Or maybe the one before this.
I picked up a little guide to Augusta, Georgia when we were there and the writing in it was just as florid and not nearly as descriptive as the writing on that postcard. I read it and laughed.

NewRobin13 said...

Interesting looking at old postcards and thinking about the time in which they were sent. I do remember Florida being called The Everglade State back in the time when I was growing up in New Jersey (1950s). Now I wonder why I knew that name?

Sharon said...

I love that you found the present day locations for all of these. That last one looks like it hasn't changed a bit. And that post card of the first and last house makes it look so isolated but I'm betting it really isn't. And, good to know you can get a very colorful ice cream cone while you are there.

Red said...

Post cards give you lots of mysteries to solve.

Kelly said...

It's so interesting looking at these now and then shots and seeing how much has changed (or not changed).

I always think of Florida as the Sunshine State. When I was growing up Arkansas was called The Land of Opportunity, but at some point changed to the The Natural State.

Edna B said...

I never heard Florida called the Everglade State. It is all those other wonderful things though. I think old postcards are really interesting. Enjoy. Hugs, Edna B.

Margaret said...

Love the atmospheric vintage postcards! Violet seas and pleasure palaces? Hmmm. Sounds a little shady to me. ;) I wasn't entranced by the humidity or big bugs of Florida. At least it prepared me a bit for Senegal.

Allison said...

I love that you found the present day location of that postcard. Is that a two way street? Do cars travel there?

Jennifer said...

I love each and every one of these postcards. That Florida description--wow. That's some piece of writing!

Thanks for sharing these.

e said...

Great finds, When you met Sarah she was about 48, only 20 years younger than I was.

roentare said...

I am getting educated by your detailed history and presentations of postcards from another era.

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: In England, particularly in neighborhoods with some historical significance, things have been pretty well preserved.

Andrew: If I find anything interesting in Greenwich I will undoubtedly share it with you!

YP: You might be right about the time period, especially since there are no cars visible anywhere.

River: Yes, as I said, it's a tourist attraction -- not really a house at all. (I suppose it was lived in at one time.)

Boud: That's known as a "linen" postcard, and they were very common back in the mid-century (1930s and '40s).

Tasker: There are certainly more people out on the street in the old photo. No one walks anywhere now!

Padre: I agree. I could look through old postcards for ages.

Ed: I do miss sending postcards like we did in the old days. I suppose I could still do it, but yeah, it seems pointless when so much is on Facebook.

Bob: "The Everglade State -- and Future Epicenter of Republican Malfeasance." (Probably wouldn't fit on the card.)

Colette: I have a whole shoebox full of mostly old Florida postcards.

Barbara: Yeah, before Disney, Florida's main attractions were its beaches and the Everglades, one of the earliest National Parks. I doubt many people even see the Everglades these days.

Ms Moon: I loved those houses too. I looked at one back in 1995 when I lived in Venice but the price was just a bit out of my reach and I wound up moving soon anyway. (Although if I'd bought it and kept it 10 or 20 years I'd have made a FORTUNE.)

Robin: Interesting that you've heard that nickname! Maybe Florida was marketed that way in the Northeast at the time.

Sharon: I think it IS pretty isolated, actually. Especially off-season! You can find it easily on Google Maps.

Red: They do! I especially like it when there's a message written on them.

Kelly: I remember that "Land of Opportunity" slogan!

Edna: I collect them when I find interesting ones, so I agree with you!

Margaret: Yeah, I'm not buying the violet seas. And I agree about "pleasure palaces"! LOL!

Allison: I'm sure cars do travel there, but it looks very narrow, doesn't it? So maybe it is only one-way.

Jennifer: Someone loves their adjectives!

E: Yeah, that's what I figured. And I'm 55 now. Strange!

Roentare: I hope they were enjoyable as well as educational! :)

Jeanie said...

I just LOVE that you looked up the Warnes on Ancestry! I confess, I have a rather large postcard collection (some written upon, some not) but I have never looked up the recipients! My best find -- one written BY my grandmother (who died before I was born) to my babysitter and her next door neighbor from the old family cottage up north in 1937. You can see the upstairs bedroom window just slightly. When I saw it in a bin at the postcard show, I started crying right there!