Friday, July 29, 2022

Jungle Patio


The plants are growing particularly dense on the patio at this time of year. This is the view out the living room window. I love all those flowers and their color combinations.


Here's the view from the bedroom. Kind of crazy, right? Fortunately, we really don't use the patio for much except as a place to store plants. (And to set out the laundry rack on good drying days.)

Elvis has the Jungle Room; we have the Jungle Patio.


Here's the other side of the house. This is the sunniest wall in the garden, so anything that likes full sun winds up in this spot. That sunflower is the only one to prosper of the seeds I planted earlier this year. I've got some zinnias in that planter, too, as you can see.

Here are some of the individual plants blooming now:


The lobelia, looking like a swarm of pink moths...


...the bright orange canna lily...


...and the white datura, or jimsonweed. Can you believe these daturas were tiny sprouts only a month ago?

All this growth has been happening despite the fact that England is having the driest July in more than a century. We've had an average of .6 inches of rain across the country, about a quarter of what's typical. There's also no rain in the forecast. We are in drought conditions. Of course we water the garden plants, but things are dire out there. Yesterday I took more water to the sad street tree, for all the good it will do.

I'm still trying to maintain the Russians' plants as well. Mrs. Russia e-mailed that they're not due back until Aug. 26! Criminy! And speaking of the Russians, yesterday a delivery came for them -- a new toilet and toilet seat, now sitting in a box in our front hallway. I sent Mrs. Russia an e-mail saying it had arrived and she seemed perplexed -- she says they already got that delivery and weren't expecting another one. So someone may have to come and reclaim the toilet from us at some point. I think they should put it on their terrace with plants in it.

There's another train strike planned for Saturday, and Dave and I have to get to the airport early Sunday morning for our flight to Detroit. Even though the strike will be over by then, normal service isn't expected to be restored until midday, so Dave arranged for a car to take us to Heathrow. These train strikes are a real problem, and now there's even talk of a general strike -- when basically ALL unionized workers walk out to show solidarity -- which hasn't happened in many years. As I understand it, the strikers want pay raises that are on pace with inflation, and of course inflation is relatively high right now.

Yesterday I helped Dave go through his clothes, and I went through mine, and I took two bags of donations to the Oxfam shop. Dave's sock drawer, in particular, was out of control. He likes whimsical socks but he had so many that we couldn't open or close the drawer, and he didn't use three quarters of them. Now we've got them back down to a reasonable level. (I included those in the charity bags, though I have no idea whether Oxfam wants used socks. They're nice socks, for what that's worth. I've never seen socks for sale in the shop but I think Oxfam sells some donated clothing to bulk buyers and that kind of thing, so maybe socks can go in with all that.)

I should have donated the Russians' toilet.

29 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Your patio - fantastic, Too much is never enough!
The Russians realize that you are departing? Are you confident that Olga will take on the task of watering and toilet receiving?
Someone will want those socks if not for wearing for crafting- socks are the thing ,you know. Especially if the socks have personality.
Look at your patio, look at Olga.....and you are flying to Detroit? Madness.

Boud said...

That a wonderful garden. Do you have arrangements to get it watered while you're away? I guess whoever's staying with Olga will do that? I wouldn't mind staying there in your absence either. Lovely place.

River said...

I love your patio and garden. The Russians should have told you how long they would be gone. My upstairs neighbour left for Germany the first week in June, supposedly for three weeks. She isn't back yet, so I'm enjoying the peace and quiet.

Barwitzki said...

Beautiful colors are on your patio... and the sunflower will be lovely...
I preferred my sunflowers in the living room - a gardener told me it is not good for these flowers - my result: I have tiny sunflowers that bloom now.
So next year - the seed on the spot in the ground :-)))
Many greetings to you. Viola

Moving with Mitchell said...

Your garden! I still can’t get over the fact that that’s all growing in the middle of London. I don’t think I can be any more astounded by the behavior of Mr. and Mrs. Russian. Good luck with your travels. We leave Tuesday; so far, no problems between here and Oslo. Here’s hoping it stays that way.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

The Russians are probably sitting in "The Hammer and Sickle" in Moscow drinking vodka with their friends and laughing about their successful enslavement of a gullible white American librarian. How dare you go to Michigan when you have Russian plants to water! There'll be hell to pay.

Anonymous said...

Lol at YP's comment.
Your garden is looking so lush in the true sense of the word and the northern English sense too.
I'm sure Dave is planning replacement socks for his drawer. It will happen.

Pixie said...

The patio is lovely and verdant. My deck has become the same this summer and I love it. When my sunflowers bloom, I'll take a photo and post it. I can hardly wait.

Hope you guys have a good visit to Michigan and that Olga is fine while you're gone.

Bob said...

A spare toilet might not be such a bad thing.

The Bug said...

Your jungle is amazing! I love every inch of it. And LOL at the toilet delivery - that is hilarious. The Russians are definitely good for blog fodder.

Jeanie said...

I hope you can find someone good to take care of your gorgeous garden, especially in this drought. I'd hate to see you leave garden of Eden and return to Village of the Damned. It's absolutely stunning.

I can relate to Dave's sock drawer. I recently donated 42 pairs of socks. And it's still pretty full!

ellen abbott said...

I agree, your jungle patio is wonderful, lucious even. It's still horribly dry here so bad my two gingko trees are suffering so I've started letting the hose run at their bases and I never water trees, or grass for that matter which I am still not watering.

Barbara Rogers said...

Hope you are there to see the sunflower bloom. I am reminded of my sock drawer now...and would rather be in denial.

Sharon said...

Your jungle patio looks fantastic. Everything looks so healthy in spite of the lack of rain. It's supposed to reach 100 here in Oregon today. It's been unusually hot. Yesterday it was hotter here than it was back home in Arizona.

Ms. Moon said...

I surely hope that your trip to Michigan is a good one and that your beautiful garden continues to thrive in your absence. The Russians were certainly asking a lot of you when they left.

gz said...

I love the jungly patio!!
Hope your travelling goes ok..
The trouble with the rail workers...they keep on comparing the Scots who have accepted 5%...but they have been getting annual raises.
Network rail employees have had nothing for three years..now there is the threat of more Sunday and rest day and night shifts (safe working anyone?) Plus fire and rehire at worse pay and conditions.....the average employee is on just over £30k a year..the CEO gets over £550k and shareholders getting bonuses.....these sort of things are what they don't want us to find out...

NewRobin13 said...

Your flower garden is so beautiful. You are quite the gardener, Steve. I love it!
I am surprised that the Russians are going to be gone for such a long time. Interesting that a second toilet arrived for them. I like the idea of making it a flower potty! LOL!
Hope all goes well with your travel plans.

Red said...

Good idea to go through clothes and get rid of things. Dave could throw his socks this way.

Mary said...

Must admit, at my age (quite a bit older than you), I always arrange for my usual car service when I come to London. Nothing worse than getting off an overnight, sleepless flight and trying to navigate your way to the Tube and then to your lodgings. Use the same service for the return to the airport as I always seem to have filled my previously empty folded bag (that I always bring on travels) with gifts and such and am no longer just traveling with a carry on. Such a relief to just get dropped at Terminal 2 door. Safe travels!

jenny_o said...

You really are good people, to take on the Russians' watering and parcel receiving. I hope you find an appropriate way to get reciprocal help from them at some point in the near future, or that they - at a minimum - bring you an expensive and lovely gift as a thank you! Your plants are a joy to see.

Allison said...

Good thought on the car service, and so much more peaceful than the train. Hope it's a good flight and all your connections are serene.

Margaret said...

An extra toilet, how weird! Love all the plants and that pink one does look like a swarm of moths. Getting a car to the airport relieves the stress of trying to deal with public transport, especially given the strike aftereffects. I'm always nervous about getting to the airport on time, even though I always have a reliable ride from John. :)

Catalyst said...

I believe you should have a rustic English sign made for the patio: The Jungular Vein.

roentare said...

You are a very kind person and a great gardener! Love the jungle patio where the plants flourish so much!

Kelly said...

I love the orange canna lily! That's odd about the toilet, and I think the Russians are awfully presumptuous.

Steve Reed said...

Linda Sue: I know. Yesterday Dave said of our trip, "I don't know why we're doing this!" I did forewarn the Russians, so they know their plants will have to just hang on for ten days.

Boud: Yes, the friend who's house-sitting for us will keep up the watering.

River: I think Mrs. Russia probably DID tell me and I just didn't remember.

Barwitzki: Well, small sunflowers sound nice too! But yes, they'll do better and grow bigger outdoors.

Mitchell: Fingers crossed that travel goes smoothly for the next few days!

YP: It's true. I do feel like I'm their servant.

Andrew: Replacement socks are fine! He didn't wear some of his socks because they were old or fell down, so some new ones would make sense.

Pixie: Yes, I want to see your sunflowers! Mine is a red variety.

Bob: Ha! Our bathrooms are both terribly dated, so Dave joked that we should just keep this toilet and install it!

Bug: Isn't that a weird thing to have happen? We really do have some characters living around us.

Ellen: We are threatened with a "hosepipe ban," which is what the British call watering restrictions. We let our hose run on some of the plants but that may be prohibited soon.

Sharon: Ugh! That's disappointing, to go all the way to Oregon only to get HOTTER weather!

Ms Moon: Honestly, it's partly my fault. I thought it would be much easier to keep their plants watered from below.

GZ: Good point about the train strikes. I certainly support the striking workers, but these strikes are always such a challenge for the public. It IS obscene the way wealth flows to the top in our society, though.

Robin: I'll keep you posted on travel drama!

Red: A couple of times a year I try to go through our stuff and make some donations, just to keep the clutter at bay.

Mary: There definitely are advantages to car services! I tend to be a cheapskate on that front but Dave is much more willing to spend for the comfort and ease.

Jenny-O: A Faberge egg, maybe? LOL

Allison: No connections! We fly direct! Hallelujah!

Margaret: I am also an early-airport person. I always get there way ahead of time.

Catalyst: Ha! I like it! The English are very into naming their houses. Maybe that should be the name of ours?

Kelly: It IS a lot to ask for almost two months, I agree. I guess they didn't anticipate that we'd be having the driest summer on record! If only we had some rain to lessen the burden.

Jeanie said...

For whatever reason, my comment didn't post yesterday. Probably a blogger thing -- again! Or in your spam pile. I hate that! I just said your garden looks fabulous and I can relate to Dave's sock drawer. We might even have a contest on how many socks we recently donated and I suspect still have plenty. Or something like that!

Steve Reed said...

Jeanie: 42 pairs?! WOW! I think you have us beat! Sorry your first comment didn't post -- it was in spam but I belatedly found it.

Barbara: Denial isn't just a river in Egypt! Or something like that. I hope I do get back to see the sunflower. I think I will -- I don't see a visible bud yet. Sorry I initially missed your comment -- it was in spam.

Roentare: Well thank you, and I'm glad you like the patio! Sorry I missed your comment initially. It was in my spam folder but I belatedly found it. :)

Sabine said...

Your garden is fabulously lush.