Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Flowers for Florence


When I walked past the Crimean War memorial in Pall Mall on Monday, I saw that someone had left flowers for Florence Nightingale. For most of my life, the Crimean War seemed like a conflict remote in both time and place, and now that part of the world is once again bathed in strife.

It's HOT here. It was about 90º F (32º C) again yesterday, and although we're supposed to have a few days' slight respite, it's going to hit the mid-90's again next Monday and Tuesday. This in a country with little air conditioning. And rain is about as likely as Donald Trump conceding the last presidential election. We haven't had any measurable rainfall at all this month, and it looks like that's not changing.

So aparently I'll be keeping myself busy watering the Russians' plants! You know, I was thinking -- rather than watering from the ladder, I should just climb onto their terrace and water from there. That way my time on the ladder is much shorter and I don't have to wrangle a running hose while climbing. (They have their own hose.) Sounds much safer, right?

Yesterday I did manage to get the last four datura seedlings into pots -- a single pot, in fact, which may be too many plants for one pot, but it was all I had. It's amazing how quickly they grow once they get into better soil with more water and nutrients. The ones I potted a few days ago are already about twice as big as they were.


I also gave our larger canna lily a bigger pot, above. Our smaller canna is still, well, small. Puny, even. It wasn't healthy when I first received it and it has never thrived. I'm on the fence about whether I'm even going to keep it past this year. This is its third summer and it still looks terrible.

Finally, I carried two watering cans (20 liters) of water down the hill to the sad street tree. Given that it's already been struggling, it might not survive this hot, dry summer. This is what it looks like:


I know -- you can barely even see it, right? It looks dead, but it's not. Those tiny leaves are, in fact, green. I keep thinking if I can just pull it through this season and help it get established it might leaf out more fully next year. But it also has several strikes against it -- as you can see, it barely has an opening in the pavement, and the soil is baked hard and mounded up around the trunk so unless one waters it very, very slowly, all the water runs off into the gutter. Even if we do get rain I'm not sure how much will reach that tree's roots.


When the council first planted it (replacing the once-viney tree that inexplicably died after I removed its burden of vine) I swore that I was NOT GOING TO GET INVOLVED. And here I am, bringing it water. I'm making myself crazy.

21 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

I would stand on the ground with your hose turned on full and aim water up over the balcony and walk along a few times. Some of it will fall in the right places.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Oh, that poor tree. You’re its angel of mercy. As for the neighbors and their plants, I find them unbelievably galling (well, not the plants, just the neighbors).

River said...

I see a black pipe in the ground by that poor tree, I imagine it is a section of agricultural piping? That's for watering. Water around the tree, but also pour water into the pipe where it will soak down to the roots.
Ditch the puny lily, if it hasn't improved in three years, it's never going to.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

What sort of plants do Russians grow anyway? I am thinking nettles, thistles, turnips, beetroot and cabbages.

Anonymous said...

In times of drought we have water restrictions but I think you have what is called hose pipe bans. England doesn't have huge water storage, normally not required. Have you even seen a yellow Datura?

Boud said...

Rachel and I are of one mind. Just stand on the ground turn the hose full on and blast upwards. Ridiculous not to give you easy access.
I see the UK is sweltering, and I wonder if people's clothes are also too heavy. I remember a big difference between sn English cotton dress, sturdy, and an American one, floaty.
That on top of no AC and a lot of people not even able to afford the cost of running fans 24/7, is an unhappy time.

Ellen D. said...

You ARE making yourself crazy but it is a good crazy that takes care of plants and trees. Have you always been a sweet heart?

NewRobin13 said...

When I see that struggling tree it makes me wonder how the other trees in similar small beds are able to survive. I'm glad you are still watering it. If I lived there I would do it too.
Such a bummer about the hot temperatures there and no way to stay cool. I hope this heatwave passes soon.

Tasker Dunham said...

Until relatively recently I hadn't realised that, especially before WW1, the Crimean Wars were still large in peoples' minds. In some cities, there are rows of streets named after Crimean battles.

Sharon said...

The garden looks so lush in the photo of the canna. And that poor tree does look a little starved. It's so good of you to give it water. Too bad it was planted with a little "well" for the water to stay in.

ellen abbott said...

I don't understand how trees planted in small openings surrounded by concrete survive at all. But good for you for giving it water.

We're having triple digits. 95˚ is the lowest predicted high temp for the next 15 days. Rain is scarce here too though we did get a little, emphasis on little, shower yesterday.

Debby said...

Oh river...i didn't even notice that. I will bet you are right.

The Bug said...

You are a good person, Steve Reed. Or at least a good plant dad :)

Ed said...

You wrote a timely post. This morning on the way to the garden, I was listening to NPR doing a piece on the Crimean War, the previous one. I had the same feelings as you when it was going on, that is was a far distance place that really didn't affect me. How times have changed. It now feels much closer and way more important to my life.

I'm having a bum year for trees. I think I am going to be 0 and 4 as this morning they all looked dead. In our case, we had a wet spring and timely summer rains thus far so I wonder if their roots rotted off like the ones from a couple years ago.

Margaret said...

Watering, even without climbing on a ladder, is time-consuming this time of year. Good for you for taking such excellent care of the plants.

Kelly said...

I'm counting on the tree to feel your love and concern for it. It WILL thrive in return for your kindness!

I'm really surprised it's been so dry there....

Allison said...

City trees are so often treated poorly, it's a miracle any of them survive. You're a good person for bringing water.

Red said...

I'm not sure of the logistics of watering Mrs Russias plants. It sounds a bit dangerous.

Steve Reed said...

Rachel: I've considered that. We have a jet nozzle that would get the water up there. I'm just not sure how well I could aim it.

Mitchell: Dave and Mrs. K are equally galled!

River: Yes! I do know about those pipes. I put about half the water into the pipe and half directly onto the tree. The only reason I don't put it all in the pipe is I'm a bit skeptical about where that water is going. It disappears awfully fast.

YP: And big conifers.

Andrew: I have not seen a yellow datura, at least not here -- only white ones. We aren't at the hosepipe ban stage yet, fortunately. But it could happen.

Boud: That's a good question. I think in these days of globalization the clothes here are pretty much like the clothes in the states -- all made in Pakistan and Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

Ellen D: Well, that's a nice way to put it. I think maybe I'm just a sucker!

Robin: Apparently a fairly large percentage of new street trees die within their first year. The council plunked this one in the ground and as far as I've seen they've never come by to water or care for it. (It's possible they have when I wasn't looking.)

Tasker: Yes! And the Boer War too. There are whole neighborhoods in London with streets bearing South African names.

Sharon: I know. If they'd left a little depression then water could have flowed off the sidewalk and settled around the tree, which would make sense.

Ellen: Ugh! I can't imagine 95 being the LOW!

Debby: Yes, she is right!

Bug: A busybody, more like!

Ed: I guess it's possible for trees to get too much water? The Crimean War I'm talking about isn't one you'd remember -- it took place in the 1850s. It's where Florence Nightingale made a name for herself in nursing.

Margaret: Yes! I spent all yesterday evening watering our garden. It's crazy how much water it took.

Kelly: I hope you're right! Yeah, this is unusually dry.

Allison: This one has also already been bashed by delivery vans driving past.

Red: It's not the best situation, I agree!

Janie Junebug said...

You're a softy. That canna looks nice. I have one growing well but a couple of leaves have brown crud on them. I think something is chewing on it. Florence's flowers are pretty and well deserved.

Love,
Janie

Jeanie said...

You are a good man to water that poor tree while it's still getting started. And brilliant solution for the Russians' gardens! Be careful up there!