Saturday, July 30, 2022

Flying Things


I didn't leave the house yesterday, except to walk the dog, so you're getting more garden photos. I don't know why I haven't been motivated to go anywhere. Remember how I used to get out and walk all over the city? I just haven't felt the urge.

I blame Covid. The lockdowns taught us how to stay home!

Also, Dave and I are leaving for the states tomorrow at midday, so I want to enjoy the garden as much as possible before we go. I'm sure our friend Warren -- who's staying in our flat while we're gone -- will do a great job caring for everything, but still.

Yesterday I sat out on the back bench reading "A Dutiful Boy," Mohsin Zaidi's memoir about growing up gay in a Pakistani Muslim family. Can you imagine how challenging that must have been? I mean, everyone's coming-out story is challenging in its own way, but being raised in such a traditional culture -- where individualism and self-definition aren't seen as ultimately fulfilling goals the way they are in the West -- must have been hard. I really enjoyed the book.

In early afternoon I looked up and saw this little goldfinch (above). We have teasels growing all over the garden partly to feed the goldfinches, but this one was much more interested in our tamarisk tree, where it was nibbling something off the branches. Bugs, maybe?


The starlings were keeping busy with our blackberry vines. We're at peak blackberry season right now, and I'm glad the birds are getting some of them because there are waaaaay too many for me to eat alone. (I eat them on my cereal every morning and I ate a big bowl of them for dessert after lunch yesterday, but I've barely made a dent in the supply.)

It's a cliché to say that blackberries on the vine look like jewels, but they really do -- so black and shiny.

I think that's a young starling. Don't its tail feathers look a bit stubby?


Also, this huge hornet-mimic hoverfly was zipping around our rose bushes, sunning itself on the leaves.

Today's agenda will include packing and giving the Russians' plants a final water. Olga will stay here at home with Warren while we're away, and he'll keep up all her routines as much as possible. I'll try to give her an adventurous walk this afternoon.

23 comments:

River said...

Lovely birds :)
I've stayed home so much my legs are forgetting how to walk.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Have a safe and pleasant trip, one that’s uneventful except for events you enjoy!

Boud said...

I think you're starting to do a Dave -- home's nicer than away! I'm very impressed he's doing a big trip this summer. Will he be facebooking all the way?? Olga will be at camp equivalent!

Bohemian said...

Safe Travels... Yes, The Pandemic certainly did Teach us how to stay Home and slow Life down to a moderate Pace, I kinda like it now actually. I was usually doing too much beforehand and it's taught me how to be more Still and enjoy just staying Home Nesting. I like that we can opt to Travel now tho', it's why The Daughter finally made it here from Mexico, she's very conflicted about whether to stay or go back, she loves being with Family but truly is now an Ex-Pat who Adores the Host Country she's been living in for the past 15 years now and is fluent in Spanish and embraced The Culture thoroughly.

Ed said...

Enjoy your trip!

Bob said...

Safe, fun travels.

Ms. Moon said...

Great bird shots! They must be so happy to have such delicious food to fatten up on.
I hope your trip goes smoothly.

Sharon said...

I'm attending a three day event here in Oregon and was served blackberry pie for dessert last night. It was delicious.
I hope you have a great time on your trip.

NewRobin13 said...

Have a safe and good journey to Michigan. I'm looking forward to seeing photos and posts from there.
Take care and stay safe and healthy!

Jeanie said...

Safe travels. If the weather stays the same it is probably far cooler here than London. And as for the walking, you'll be getting plenty of it in the airport so lay low, enjoy home. I'm glad Olga has a Warren to tend to her. Have a wonderful holiday.

Kelly said...

I love the photo of the starling with the blackberry in its beak! I know Olga will miss y'all, but it's nice she'll have someone staying with her in her own environment rather than going to a kennel.

By the time I see your post for tomorrow, you should be well on your way. I hope y'all have a good flying experience!

ellen abbott said...

Interesting goldfinch with that red mask. and great shot of the starling too. Safe travels tomorrow. Maybe this trip will re-instill your wanderlust.

Colette said...

Be safe on your trip! Enjoy.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Is Warren's first name Rabbit? No doubt you will blog on Sunday morning before heading for the airport. Have a great time over in Michigan but if you are in Flint, remember not to drink the tap water - just in case.

Sandra said...

Really good photos! Enjoy you trip. I usually read but don't comment, so I'll be reading about your trip.

John Going Gently said...

Safe journey

Chris and Mike said...

So fascinating to compare "your" goldfinch with our lesser and American goldfinches. Our backyard with a bazillion sunflowers is host to several families of both.
I thought that blackberry-eating starling was an adult, due to the lovely white spotting on its underparts, but after some poking around on Dr. Google, it turns out that the pale brown fledgling plumage soon gains those spots. So - your guess is as good as mine :-) It's either an immature or non-breeding adult (dark bill is the clue. An adult in breeding plumage has a bright yellow bill).

Bon voyage and give Olga a special scritch before you leave!

Chris from Boise

Anonymous said...

Children from strongly religious families will always have difficult coming out experiences. Most seem to survive and go on to good lives.
All those delicious blackberries. I would eat enough to make me sick.

James and Brigitta said...

I always find starlings glitter like jewels too, how appropriate they eat them as well! Great shot by the way. Have a great time in Michigan, we spent a summer there a while ago, I'm looking forward to see some shots I might recognize!

Margaret said...

I've become much more sedentary which isn't a good thing at all. I hope you have a stress-free trip and an excellent visit. Bon Voyage, almost!

jenny_o said...

What great shots of the Flying Things! I envy you your camera. And, well, your talent :D

Steve Reed said...

Thanks for all the good wishes, everybody! I'll be posting every day from the states as usual, but of course the timetable will be slightly different so look for my posts a few hours later than normal.

Sabine said...

Late but still: have a wonderful trip!