Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Flying


I'm heading back to England this evening, on a (blessedly) direct flight from Tampa to London Gatwick. I'll land tomorrow morning.

I'm sorry to leave my family and everyone I've visited in Florida, but I'm also eager to get back to Dave and my life in England. People always say the best thing about vacations is going home, and that is true.

This has been a great trip, though. I got to spend time with a few friends and all of my immediate family, and a substantial amount of time, too. I often feel that I'm rushing from here to there when I visit, so this time I tried very hard not to overbook myself and allow several days to just sit and talk with parents and siblings. I think it did us all a lot of good -- I know I'm glad for the opportunity.

My dad once told me that friends come and go, but family members are the people you can really depend on. It's hard not to take them for granted for just that reason -- they do seem so constant. (Fortunately I have lots of friends who I think I can also depend on, but that's beside the point.) I do hope to remain more mindful about staying in touch and communicating better.

Dave tells me it's 40 degrees in London. Yikes! I'm also sorry to bid farewell to sunny and pleasant weather!

(Photo: It's not a real lizard. It's a gate pull, in Key West!)

3 comments:

e said...

Safe journey...I always think that home is where the heart is.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through "Life In Progress" and enjoyed reading it.
I am also a fan of the movie BUGS.
David

Ms.M said...

The gecko reminds me of all the darn lizards that used to get in my apartment in Mia. *shudder* I did not like them at all. I even bought a butterfly net so I could humanly catch and release them. I was always afraid I would slip my foot in my shoe and something would wiggle around.

Ok enough about me, hope you had a safe trip home.

Ms. M