Monday, March 22, 2021

No Worms, I Promise


It was a dream of a spring day yesterday, with blue skies and sunshine. Olga wasted no time getting out in the garden to lie in the grass and gnaw on her Kong. She's just as eager as the rest of us for winter to be over!

The census turned out to be no big drama. The website even worked! It took slightly longer than I expected, because I thought they'd just want to know how many people lived here. But no -- they want to know names, occupations, employers, relationships, nationalities, religions. They wanted to know if my spouse was a man or a woman and whether I identify with the gender I was assigned at birth. I don't mind that they ask these questions because, after all, how else will we understand the composition of our communities?

I filled it out for both me and Dave. "I told them you're a Mormon black woman from the Ukraine," I said to him later.

(Note to census officials: I did not. Don't fine me £1,000!)


Here are some garden updates. These random bulbs are growing in a pot with a hydrangea. They were in Mrs. Kravitz's yard waste bag last year, and I thought, "Well, that's a shame. I'll plant them!" I had no idea what they were -- turns out there's a small daffodil, several grape hyacinths and, I believe, an allium.


Our flowering quince is putting on a better show than it ever has in the past. Maybe it just needed a few years to mature.


This came up of its own accord. I believe it's known as lamb's ear? We'll see what it does -- I put a stake next to it to keep Olga from stepping on it.


This is one of the burdocks I grew from seed a couple of years back. Some of them bloomed last year and then died, while some of them overwintered and will presumably bloom this year. Funny how they're on different timetables. This one looks especially vigorous and might become huge.


I mentioned grape hyacinths -- they're blooming now too.


Finally, on the downside, this is our poor banana tree. It got pretty badly frozen but I think it will pull through. The stalks feel pretty solid and they're still green. We'll see what happens!

I also potted my one corncockle seedling and moved it outside, and then worried in the middle of the night that I'd put it in the wrong kind of soil. Now, in the morning, it seems insane that I was even thinking about it. Funny how middle-of-the-night thoughts are sometimes so bizarre and obsessive.

The title of this post stems from the fact that, as reader Ellen D pointed out yesterday, several recent post titles have all concerned worms and slugs. That was purely inadvertent on my part, I swear!

43 comments:

Ursula said...

You "don't mind that they ask these questions". I do. Big time. I call those questions industrial espionage. It's Big Brother through the back door. Your trust is touching, I am a little more sceptical. I am also an intensely private person and I'd rather decide myself who I let into knowledge of me, my life and my views on religion and other incidentals.

The threat of a £1,000 fine if you don't co-operate (or only answer the questions you are prepared to answer) is nothing but coercion. Laugh, Steve. So do I. Yet I mean it. I am outraged even at the fact that some company, bank whatever I am dealing with can call me and before I am even told what the call is about I am asked to verify date of birth, my mother's maiden name and whether they are speaking to ME. I don't show my irritation at this to the poor bugger at the other end, after all they just read from the hymn sheet. However, I will - when in sarky mood - tell them that, by now, the whole wide world knows my date of birth and my mother's name. "Security"? Whose security? Certainly not mine. It's all just so much bullshit.

Other than that, thanks for those soothing pictures denoting spring. It sure is in the air.

U

Moving with Mitchell said...

Oh, how I love your glimpses of spring. Hope the banana tree thrives once more. You forgot to mention gay... a GAY Mormon black woman from Ukraine. Now their numbers for those are going to be inaccurate.

Alphie Soup said...

The flowering quince is beautiful.
Alphie

Susan said...

I wish I were as limber as Olga... The flowering quince is so beautiful. Grape hyacinths always represent Spring to me. Is your burdock different than mine? Mine is a scourge - especially if it gets into the sheep's paddock!

Debby said...

I came here to comment the same as Susan: burdock here is a darned nuisance. I've never heard of anyone planting it in a garden.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I never pot my corncockle nor plunge it into compost. It stays concealed in my trousers.

Marty said...

I'm always amazed at the generous size of your garden in London.
And not to worry about the lamb's ear. It'll survive just fine. I've always been fond of it, but at some point you'll have to beat it back with a stick.

Ellen D. said...

Oh, I was teasing you, of course, you know! Glad to see that all of your work on the garden is paying off. So many blooms bursting out already. I hope to be better at taking care of my garden this year. Usually the weeds get out of control...
Thanks for mentioning me! ;)

ellen abbott said...

I do like the flowering quince. never been a big fan of grape hyacinths though. and I'm sure the banana tree will pull through.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the first laugh of the morning here, Dave is a "mormon black woman from the Ukraine."
I love seeing spring blooming there. It's really finally happening here too. We have a few plants that are struggling after the freezes we've had, but we're also hopeful everything will survive.

Ms. Moon said...

Your burdock looks so much like some of my collards! How very strange. Look at that darling quince!
Glad you got your census task done with. I agree with you- it's important for government to know what their population looks like in order to make sure that needs are met and covered.

Bob said...

It's beginning to look a lot like Spring across the pond! Loverly!

As for your census responses, I might have said something similar about Carlos, just for kicks!

Edna B said...

Your garden is coming along nicely. I love those tiny daffodils. And your quince is beautiful. I'm curious to see how your banana tree comes along. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Sharon said...

Your garden is looking so inviting. You've got pretty blooms popping up everywhere. Glad you had a nice spring day.

The Bug said...

I love grape hyacinths! And that photo of Olga in the garden...

Allison said...

That is a fairly detailed census. It would not go over well in the US. Freedom, and all of that.

Sabine said...

I read somewhere about the poor woman who put down barrister instead of barista as occupation on her census form and could not sleep all night with worry she might be found out.

Red said...

I'm very surprised at what questions were asked on the census.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that a banana tree would come close to surviving in your climate. It's very obvious spring has arrived.

Kat said...

I believe your 'hyacinth' is in fact muscari. I thought they were blue bells until I looked them up.

The Padre said...

You Tugged On My Heart Strings With Photo Number One - Then, Humor Brought A Smile Across My Heart - You Rock Brother Man - Thank You

Cheers

Steve Reed said...

Well, I'm clearly NOT all that private, since I'm spilling my guts here on a public blog day after day. I thought the questions were innocuous enough.

Steve Reed said...

Dammit! I KNEW I forgot something!

Steve Reed said...

We're so glad it's finally producing some flowers. It's bloomed in previous years but only with a handful of blossoms.

Steve Reed said...

No, same old burdock. Several commenters said the same when I planted those seeds a couple of years ago, but I think burdock is a beautiful plant, particularly when it gets big. Then again, I don't have any fluffy animals!

Steve Reed said...

A weed is just a plant in the wrong place, right? We grow teasels too, and a lot of people think they're weeds. Our neighbors must love us. LOL

Steve Reed said...

I am not responsible for the crazy names the British give their flowers!

Steve Reed said...

We're amazed by it too! Glad to hear the lamb's ear is durable. It will need to be around here.

Steve Reed said...

I thought your comment was so funny. I hadn't connected that trend!

Steve Reed said...

Can you grow grape hyacinths? I would think they might struggle in the heat. Fingers crossed on the banana.

Steve Reed said...

I hope so too! We lost a few things -- the African daisy, the last skylover. But c'est la vie. Nothing lasts forever!

Steve Reed said...

It looks like collards now but it won't when it gets larger. The burdock is fuzzier, for one thing. (Probably not very good eating.)

Steve Reed said...

I was really tempted. I think they must get some pranksters who try to skew the results, though I think there are potentially penalties for doing so.

Steve Reed said...

I love those daffodils too. We have several of them in various places in the garden, all "rescues" discarded by other people.

Steve Reed said...

It was so refreshing to have some nice, sunny weather! In like a lion and out like a lamb, as they say.

Steve Reed said...

She loves lying in the sun. In good weather she'll sit inside and stare at us until we open the door to let her outside.

Steve Reed said...

Doesn't the US Census ask similar questions, though? It seemed perfectly reasonable to me. I suppose census takers have probably always struggled with government skeptics.

Steve Reed said...

Ha! That's awesome! Well, if they got her in trouble she could argue her case. :D

Steve Reed said...

I wasn't at all surprised, even though they were more detailed than I expected. Some of them were labeled "voluntary."

Steve Reed said...

Yes, they are muscari. That's just another name (the official one) for grape hyacinth, I believe...?

Steve Reed said...

It's a cold-hardy banana, supposedly Chinese. But obviously not as cold-hardy as we thought!

Steve Reed said...

Glad you liked the Olga photo! Yes, she got a treat afterwards. :)

Janie Junebug said...

Such lovely flowers and such a lovely Olga. I laughed at your joke with Steve.

Love,
Janie