Saturday, March 27, 2021

The Cards We're Dealt


The title of this post sounds like a grand metaphor, but no. This is actually about playing cards.

I used to play card games with my family as a kid and I loved them. My stepmother is an expert card player who still plays Bridge regularly, and on our annual weeklong beach trips to Longboat Key in the late '70s and early '80s she always led us in nightly rounds of Canasta. She's like a walking Hoyle's. But somehow, as an adult, I've fallen out of the card-playing habit.

Still, I appreciate cards as little artworks, interesting pieces of cultural ephemera, and I have three decks that have been with me for ages. I hang on to them just in case, some day, I am seized with a sudden desire to once again play Hearts or Spades. Like, if the world has ended and there's no TV or Internet, and in between scavenging for root vegetables and gnawing on small mammals, we need something to kill the time.

I got this deck (above) from a Goodwill shop in Florida several decades ago. The cards were old even then. I'm guessing they're from the 1930s or '40s.


Congress is apparently a brand of playing card, from what I can glean on the Internet. I think they're known for those gold borders. As you can see, these were made by the U. S. Playing Card Co. of Cincinnati.


My friend Kevin, who grew up with me in Florida, gave me these cards. I love old vintage Florida souvenir stuff. We lived between Tampa and Weeki Wachee Springs, about midway up the state on the west coast. Funny how the card designers totally ignored the western panhandle. Tough luck, Pensacola!


The Florida cards are a product of the E. E. Fairchild Corp. from Rochester, NY. Kevin kept an identical deck. Are playing cards still made in the United States? I wonder.


I've had these cards ever since I was a kid. I think we bought them at the drug store, so they're from the '70s. My brother had a matching deck with a black or black-spotted dog, as I recall. I'll have to ask him if he still has it. Knowing him, he probably does.


Despite the earthy canine artwork, they're Stardust brand cards, from Brown & Bigelow Inc. of St. Paul, Minn. 


Finally, here's a deck we have at school, on the games table. I think it's pretty old and I have no idea where it came from. The kids will play chess and a variety of board games, but I've never seen anyone play with these cards.


They also have gold edges and, once again, are Congress cards from Cincinnati. I wonder who "Marie" is?

40 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

A really fun collection! I've never had fun playing cards. Don't come from a card playing family (my father played poker with friends). When we're with SG's midwestern family, there's always a card game going on (what else was/is there to do in the midwest in winter). No cities in the Florida panhandle. Rand McNally (I think it was them) once produced a map or globe and left out South Dakota.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Thinking about jokers, I laughed out loud when I read this: "I hang on to them just in case, some day, I am seized with a sudden desire to once again play Hearts or Spades. Like, if the world has ended and there's no TV or Internet, and in between scavenging for root vegetables and gnawing on small mammals, we need something to kill the time." Interesting post which has received a score of 9.5 on the Yorkshire Pudding Scale of Interest.

e said...

What fun,,, they may be worth some money, have you researched the manufacturers?

Anonymous said...

What an interesting collection. Adding to no tv, internet, phones and radio, when books fall to dust. Just then I may have relearn the rules of euchre and 500.

Bob said...

It's amazing at the artwork used for a playing card!

I love the Florida cards. Panhandle, schmanhandle!

Ms. Moon said...

I have some lovely playing cards too. Some of my mother's in a little velveteen pull-out case with birds on them. Some with pretty Florida scenes. One deck with an arial view of Cozumel. And one- believe it or not- Jimmy Buffet songs themed deck!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That really is a great collection of cards. I had no idea that decks were made so creatively. I've only seen the usual humdrum boring ones. These are beautiful.

Red said...

I also love card games. We don't play anymore as we don't get together with other people. TV has taken card playing away from us.

ellen abbott said...

what a fun collection. I never thought about collecting playing cards but some of the art is really great. my grandmother taught me how to play Canasta but I've forgotten. I played Hearts in college but have also forgotten how to play that. The only card game I know besides things like Fish or Old Maid, and why those stuck with me I'll never know, maybe their simplicity, Gin which I taught my grandson how to play. growing up, games were for us kids to play. we never had anything like a 'game night' where the whole family played together.

Ellen D. said...

My grandma would spend hours and hours playing solitaire on her dining room table. Now I spend too much time playing solitaire on my computer! We used to love playing bridge and eucre when I was in college but I don't remember how to play at all now. My siblings used to get together to play cards but COVID has stopped that. Also, they like to play for $$ and I never won so I always went home grumpy! :)

Catalyst said...

Great collection and post. I think I'd rate it a 10 on the YP scale.

Margaret said...

Those are wonderful vintage playing cards! I enjoyed many card games with friends prior to the pandemic. I'm hoping to get back to that soon.

Sabine said...

Wonderful treasure!

crafty cat corner said...

We used to play cards all the time before the internet. We used to use smarties to bet with when the kids were at home. Now I play constantly online. I play on 'world of solitaire' and the game I like the best is 'Royal Parade' but you can choose from a whole lot of different card games. Good way to pass the time if you're bored with the tv.
I also play scrabble on my ipad.
Briony
x

Sharon said...

This brought back childhood memories. Our family used to play canasta quite a lot. I never learned how to play bridge but always wanted to learn. It seemed more sophisticated for some reason. When my friend David had his cabin up north we used to play a card game when we were up there. I can't remember what it was called but it was fun!

Allison said...

It's nice to see old cards, they truly were art. Now they're utilitarian. I love the Florida card, too bad panhandle!

Alphie Soup said...

A colourful collection. I do like the dog best!
Alphie

Steve Reed said...

Ha! I never heard that about the map! That's funny. I wonder if it had North Dakota, and if so, how could they have North and forget South?

Steve Reed said...

What lost me that half point? LOL

Steve Reed said...

I doubt they're worth anything, but I haven't really looked into it. I think there are still a lot of vintage card decks roaming around out there.

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, I'd definitely opt for a book over a card game.

Steve Reed said...

The Redneck Riviera!

Steve Reed said...

Some of those old cards had quite elaborate cases and packaging. They were made to last! (And to be displayed in suburban game rooms.)

Steve Reed said...

There are lots of fancy cards out there that aren't just the plain old "Bicycle" decks.

Steve Reed said...

It's a shame, isn't it? People used to socialize more.

Steve Reed said...

Every time I sit down to play a card game I have to learn the rules all over again. They don't stick with me.

Steve Reed said...

I don't know Bridge at all but I've played Euchre with Dave's family. (Once or twice!) I've never played for money. Like buying lottery tickets, that seems like a surefire way to be a loser.

Steve Reed said...

Excellent! I like your more charitable approach. LOL

Steve Reed said...

I know my stepmother misses her Bridge gatherings. I guess it's not the kind of thing you can do on Zoom, is it?

Steve Reed said...

Everything has a story in our household! LOL

Steve Reed said...

I've never been into online card games, but I guess that's because I'm not into offline card games either!

Steve Reed said...

I literally cannot remember the last time I played cards. I think it was with Dave's family at Christmas six or seven years ago...?

Steve Reed said...

I bet they still sell nice ones. Vintage decks are probably still available on eBay or Etsy.

Steve Reed said...

Well, of course! It's a dog!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Failure to justify the text.

Ms. Moon said...

Absolutely! Bridge groups and their games at each others houses were big events.

Moving with Mitchell said...

What I remember is it was small enough that there were no names printed, just dividing lines... and they left out the dividing line. I THINK it was Rand McNally. A major university I worked for produced novelty globes, palm sized Nerf balls. They left out a continent, but I can't remember which one now.

Edna B said...

I love the set with the picture of the sailboat. I don't think kids today know what cards are for! You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Debby said...

When my son-in-law and daughter returned for a visit a couple years back, they taught everyone to play cribbage. It's become the family card game.

For a gift, I sent them a couple of decks of cards from theory11. They play a lot of cards, so I know they will be used.

The Padre said...

What A Treasure - Amazing How A Simple Deck Of Card Will Allow Wonderful Old Memories To Resurface - Play On My Friend - Play On

Cheers