Monday, August 12, 2024

A Special Guest Photographer


Let's take a look at some of the slides I've been wrestling with over the past week or so. I believe all of these were taken by Joan Tubbs, of Guildford, Surrey, whose name and address appear on several slides in the box I bought at Camden Market. Most of the others are labeled in handwriting -- presumably hers -- that matches those address labels.

Joan died in September 2022. My goal in getting some of her slides scanned and posted is to give her photography a continued life online. As I've mentioned, I plan to post a gallery of about 60 images to Flickr, but here are ten of my favorites.

Above, a slide dated 1963 and captioned "Hockey Club: Presentation to Mr. Buckley." He seems happy with that lamp, but the woman on the left is even happier to give it to him.


Also from 1963, this is captioned "Hockey Club: Joan W. at Alex's caravan."

Apparently Tubbs played field hockey or was otherwise affiliated with a woman's hockey group. There are several slides from the early '60s of players on the field or celebrating after tournaments.


This is labeled "Dorset Coast, April 1968: Towards Swyre Head." I love the tiny figures on the beach amid the enormity of the landscape.


"Turkey, Manavgat Falls, August 1972: General view."

Another tiny figure in a powerful landscape. Looks like a storm is coming.


"Winter, December 1972: Trees at Hascombe"

A quiet shot with beautiful light. I love those brown and purple tones.


"Derbyshire: Winnat's Gap, August 1973"

Somehow the VW van makes this photo, though I love the dramatic sculptural hills, too. There's another similar shot in a slightly different location showing the van from behind.


"Yorkshire, Knaresborough: Bridge over river." Tubbs didn't date it, but the slide was processed in November 1978 and looks like it probably wasn't taken long before that.


"Spain: Anso, 1983"

The collection includes numerous photos from northern Spain around this time, including several -- like this one -- featuring laundry. I am also a sucker for photographing laundry on a line, so I appreciate these!


Yes, this one's slightly blurry, and it has no date or location label. So I know nothing about it, and it may not even be Joan's, but I wanted to include it here because I desperately want to describe it as a "seething surging mass of sheared sheep," which you should try to say three times fast.

(Alternative title: Hella lotta sheep.)


And finally, "Clematis Architecture," which is dated 2003 (or 2001, or maybe 2007). I'm not sure that's when it was taken -- the date may signify something else, such as a submission to a contest or publication. The writing is hard to make out. But Joan's address label is on it, and that's very clear.

Anyway, I'm happy to preserve these photos of Joan's and hopeful people will enjoy them. I'll link to the whole gallery once I have it uploaded.

59 comments:

  1. A great selection.....I love the trees and the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Much prefer this format for comments, especially if you reply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! And now I can respond as I read the comments rather than waiting to do it all at once at the end.

      Delete
  3. What a good photographer she was - the campervan and tiny figures really make the photos as you say.
    The river of sheep is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I immediately thought "an hourglass of sheep". These are all so beautiful, love the Dorset Coast and those trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, "an hourglass of sheep" is a great description too!

      Delete
  5. A wonderful 10-photo teaser. I absolutely love several of these, including the stupendous shot of the seething surging mass of sheared sheep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were several photos of those sheep. I'm thinking they may be from Spain, but they could also be Turkey? Or Greece?

      Delete
  6. I have been up and down Winnat's Pass hundreds of times. It's seven miles from this keyboard as the crow flies. Nobody calls it Winnat's Gap round here. The limestone evidences a coral reef that existed there 340 million years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed on Google Maps it's called Winnat's Pass, but I kept the photographer's wording on the slide.

      Delete
  7. These are fine photography. Love that slide rendition

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, she really did have an eye for detail... and you too Steve for finding them and seeing the value of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she'd be happy to know her pictures live on!

      Delete
  9. Knaresborough, home of mother Shipton, home being a cave in the cliff. Interesting shots. She had a good eye for landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I had to look up Mother Shipton. I'm pretty sure I've heard her name before but I knew nothing about her. So thanks for helping me fill that knowledge gap!

      Delete
  10. A collection worth preserving for others to see

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the landscape ones quite a lot; the Dorset Coast and the sheep are lovly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the sheep were in better focus, but oh well. There are three sheep shots and they're all blurry. I imagine there was a lot of movement in that herd!

      Delete
  12. Wow, beautiful photos. I like that you added the notes. It gives it a lovely context,
    The Hascombe trees colours are indeed lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that Tubbs labeled and dated all her slides. It really helps us appreciate them more.

      Delete
  13. The house in Spain with the laundry on the line charms my heart. A hella lotta sheep is a hell of a photo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love that little Spanish house too! There's another shot of the same house with someone walking into the doorway, and without laundry. But I think the laundry adds a nice touch.

      Delete
  14. all of these that you chose this time are so excellent! She was very talented and insightful. Not the ordinary(in this house) point and shoot! All of these are treasure, thank you so much for doing this "save" and show!! LOVE
    What sort of camera do you think she used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what type of camera she had! I don't think there's really any way to tell.

      Delete
  15. Many interesting stories emerge from these slides.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all of these! Just gorgeous shots. But my favorite is the one with the VW Bus - we had one almost exactly like that one & I mostly learned to drive in it (which was VERY TRICKY). I know you're shocked the sheep one wasn't my favorite, but it couldn't beat out nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh because (as I told you on your blog) my dad also taught us to drive in a VW bus. It was very challenging!

      Delete
  17. It's a lovely way to celebrate the talent of Joan Tubbs! These are wonderful, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them! And I'm sure Joan would be, too.

      Delete
  18. very nice selection. don't care all that much for the first two but the rest are wonderful. hard to have a favorite. when I was in Lisbon the apartment we stayed in had windows that looked out the back at the back of the apartments across the way and that's how they hung their laundry too. and I do love the close up of the clematis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first two are interesting in a different way -- less about aesthetics and more about cultural history.

      Delete
  19. JT had a superb eye and captured lots of great images. The Dorset photo is amazing, it could be on a postcard or done in oils.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are fascinating. I love the presentation of the "lamp". They look like they holding a golden trophy. The Dorset coast photo is wonderful. That tiny person below makes the scene. These are all great in their own way. I can see why you were drawn to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That lamp photo made me laugh out loud. I wonder why they gave him a lamp, of all things?

      Delete
  21. What a fantastic collection of nostalgic and evocative slides! Joan Tubbs' photos really capture the essence of different places and moments. The diverse subjects—from hockey clubs to picturesque landscapes and charming details like laundry on a line—show a keen eye for both personal and scenic photography.

    For those interested, the upcoming Flickr gallery of Joan’s work will be a wonderful way to explore her life's photography. It's great to see her work preserved and shared, and I’m sure her unique perspective will continue to inspire many.

    Feel free to check out my latest blog post as well—your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joan had a talent for several different types of photography, from landscape to flowers and nature. She took some more people shots, too, on her travels. Those will be in the Flickr gallery.

      Delete
  22. These are wonderful and I'm not sure which one I like the most! Maybe "Trees at Hascombe". (and yes, the VW bus was the first thing I noticed in the gap photo!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great photos indeed. She clearly is a skilled photographer and presumably had an excellent camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wish I knew what type of camera she used.

      Delete
  24. My favorite photo is the one of the VW bus driving through that mountain gap.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are striking. I love the diversity of them and the landscapes are especially beautiful. I can see why you were attracted to them. They tell stories of places, of people. And yes, of sheep. That one -- wow! How I'd love to see the things she did -- and capture them even half as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the VW bus - green, isn't it? - among all the green hills! There's just something about it. I like your amusing commentary on the pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the bus was green. It blends right in!

      Delete
  27. Wow! She had an eye, didn't she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did indeed. I read on the web site about her life that she used to teach others how to compose good pictures, which makes sense.

      Delete
  28. The tiny people do magnify the scene!

    ReplyDelete