Saturday, August 17, 2024

Incisors, Part 2


Remember the flowery yarn sculpture I posted yesterday, atop the post box in St. John's Wood? When I walked by yesterday morning it was gone. That didn't last long.

We're having a bit of drama with Olga's teeth. First, a bit of backstory: You may remember that a couple of years ago, we were going to have Olga's incisors removed -- those long pointy canine teeth in the upper front. They were both damaged and one had become infected and swollen. But when the vet took it out she found what she believed to be cancerous tissue beneath, so we didn't get the second tooth removed. It appeared more stable and we thought Olga was on her last legs, so why bother?

It turned out, though, that Olga didn't have cancer. And now, her second incisor has become a problem. This week she once again developed the swollen snout that told us something was wrong the first time around. Dave took her to the vet a few days ago and apparently it is indeed infected, and she needs another extraction. So that's going to happen this Monday.

Meanwhile she got some antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory, and her snout is pretty much back to normal. She's bouncing around and eating as usual, gnawing on her Kong as if nothing's wrong. But I'm sure she is in pain so I think we have to do this. I'm a little concerned about putting her under because of her age, but she's pretty healthy and her heart has always been strong.

(Yesterday, while walking Olga on the nearby housing estate, I saw the caretaker sweeping the pavements. He's watched me walk Olga through there for a decade now. "How old is your dog?" he asked somewhat incredulously. "Yeah, I know, she just seems to go on forever," I said.)

The vet's also going to look at her other teeth. I hope they don't take more out, because Olga loves chewy treats and toys and I think she would really miss not being able to gnaw. But I guess there is that possibility. Ironically, she eats Dentastix -- which are supposed to keep a dog's teeth clean and healthy -- like there's no tomorrow.


Want to hear another audacious plant rescue story?

When I walk Olga in the morning, we often pass a lawyer's office on Finchley Road. Around the beginning of July, I think, the lawyers moved to a new location, and the office was left vacant -- just some furniture and one lone houseplant by the front door. I noticed this plant and every time I'd walk the dog I'd peer through the glass and watch it getting more and more wilted. There's nothing more depressing than a plant that's been left behind in a vacant building.

So I e-mailed the attorneys and said, "Hey, I'd be willing to adopt this plant if you don't want it." I honestly didn't think it very likely I'd hear back, but I had to try, just to soothe my own conscience. Surprisingly, though, one of them wrote me and said they'd leave the plant outside the office at 3:30 on Friday. So Dave and I went by yesterday afternoon on our way home from work and happened to catch the lawyer there, and I collected the plant.

As you can see, it was in pretty sad shape -- wilted but also very leggy. There are actually two plants in that very ugly pot -- a Dracaena and something else. ("Oh, good, another Dracaena," said Dave. We have five of them now.) I cut back the wilted plant quite a bit, figuring it might recover better if it has less foliage to support.


Here's how it looks now, next to the rescued ficus tree and the rescued rubber plant. I'll repot it in a normal flowerpot as soon as I get some more compost. The plant hospital is thriving!

(Top photo: A street scene in Kensal Rise, earlier this week.)

49 comments:

  1. Poor Olga. Hope it’s just the one and it goes without a hitch. Your home is the rescue center. Glad you and Dave rescued each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's just the one, too. I really don't want them to do wholesale dental removal!

      Delete
  2. Plant rescue is something I would need to learn as I often see them withered like that in my garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You need to rescue your own before you move on to anyone else's! :)

      Delete
  3. It could inspire a children's TV series - "Plant Rescue" starring Plant Man in his green lycra body suit and his faithful toothless hound Volga. They scour the streets of London with their X-ray vision and rescue two or three plants in every episode. There would even be a theme song quite similar to the original Batman song: "Duh-duh-duh-duh: PLANTMAN!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very kind of you to rescue that plant! I suppose Dave would react differently if you started to rescue pets or hedgehogs etc.
    Years ago, when we were a family with many dogs, one of the older ones had to have several teeth extracted due to infections and she happily continued chewing her sticks and our slippers with her gums. The vet said she probabaly doesn't even notice the difference. Same happened with a cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what they told us when her first incisor was extracted -- and indeed she didn't even seem to notice.

      Delete
  5. I love that you just rescue these random plants from people and the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The downside: We wind up with too many houseplants. But that's not a terrible problem!

      Delete
  6. That was extra to contact the lawyer about the plant! I expect it will thrive like all your plant kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get such a sense of relief looking at it now, and imagining it drinking up water after such a dry spell!

      Delete
  7. Thinking positive thoughts for Miss Olga that all goes smoothly and relatively pain-free!

    You're like The Plant Whisperer whereas I am The Plant Killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't show any signs of pain the last time, but then, dogs are notoriously stoic.

      Delete
  8. I like the pot the plant came in, why repot unless it's necessary? Hopefully the rest of Olga's teeth will be sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's necessary. The soil is very depleted and the pot doesn't even have a drainage hole, which it needs. (There's actually a brown plastic pot inside the blue and yellow pottery container.) The whole thing needs a reboot.

      Delete
  9. There's just something so fulfilling about rescuing a plant and bringing it back to health. I have a special place in my heart for my own rescue plants.
    I love the top photo. Very nice use of the color red, Jazz Wine Mart!
    Ms. Olga will be fine without a few teeth. I suppose. How would I really know?
    And last but not least- look how neatly your shoes are lined up there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS fulfilling! And yes, Jazz Wine Mart is quite photogenic with its red color scheme. I have a thing about keeping the shoes neat by the back door. (We have them by the front door too!)

      Delete
  10. Hope all goes well for Olga. You will spoil her as usual and she will be okay...
    I don't think that pot is ugly! You are a softy for plants, Steve, so sweet! I wonder if you have always been this way about plants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been very attentive to plants, yes. My mom tells a story about me as a little kid, crying in the car because we were passing wilted flowers growing in the median. I wanted to get out and water them.

      Delete
  11. I hope Olga is okay and that the anesthesia doesn't harm her. Poor girl.
    You are a rescuer, aren't you? I'm glad there are people like you in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it from my dad. He was the same way. He rescued dogs and cats, and children, to a certain extent!

      Delete
  12. poor Olga, old lady losing her teeth. you do go to extreme lengths to rescue plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she's getting to that dentally vulnerable age!

      Delete
  13. You're going to have to rent another flat to keep all these plants. remember you don't want them to wilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I laughed out loud at your plant rescue - I love it! And I kind of like the pot too - ha!

    Poor Olga. As you know, I commiserate. Antibiotics and steroids help me a lot, but eventually I guess I'll have to let them dig around where I've had the root canal & see what they missed. Hope *I* don't lose another tooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not too! I also have a root canal that hasn't gone well and I think ultimately I'll probably have to have that tooth out.

      Delete
  15. I'm feeling bad for Olga. She's lucky to have the loving family she deserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, on the plus side, she won't even know what happened. She'll just wake up and it will be done. She didn't even show much sign of being in pain after the last procedure.

      Delete
  16. Poor Olga. I'll be thinking about ALL of you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Plant hospital does describe it and you are Dr. Steve! I am the killer of indoor plants, sadly. It doesn't help that my cat nibbles on the leaves and I'm never sure if that will make her sick. Poor Olga! Tooth problems are never fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had cats with plants for years and they never had a reaction to any of them. The only one I remember them nibbling was a Dracaena, which they liked because they could stick the leaves down their throat, kind of like grass. (Animals are so weird.)

      Delete
  18. Sorry to hear about Olga's dental trauma. I'm hoping it all turns out well for her and she can continue to enjoy her chew sticks.
    Your plant "hospital" appears to be flourishing. The medical care there must be top notch.
    I love that jazzy wine mart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what we'll do if Olga can't keep chewing Dentatstix! I expect she will, though, as her incisor is more a grabbing and tearing tooth than a chewing one.

      Delete
  19. Oh, I was hoping to learn what wine, beer and spirit have to do with jazz and now I guess I'll never know. Sorry for Olga. Just tell her what I've learned to be true: old age is hell but it beats the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can't listen to jazz without some wine or beer! That's just a fact!

      Delete
  20. Infections are never good. I am glad to know Olga is on antibiotics and will have an extraction. She'll be as good a new. You and Dave are great always taking outstanding care of Olga. All pets should be as lucky. I love the plant rescue operation you have going on. In no time your new rescue will be thriving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has already perked up quite a bit since we started the antibiotics. It's clear they're doing her some good.

      Delete
  21. Losing teeth seems to come with the territory as our pets age. After all, humans lose them despite daily brushing and most of our pets do not get that. My cats would eat me for lunch if I tried. Olga will be more comfortable so it's good you've gotten her scheduled right away. Good luck, Olga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, some vets recommend brushing an animal's teeth but that is a bridge too far for me!

      Delete
  22. Dogs seem to adjust quickly without teeth as long as they have a pink blanket and parents who adore them- they can get through anything, Dexter cracked his teeth eating ice which lead to infection and teeth pulled- It was traumatic but he lived for more adventure- died an old man.
    The plants that you save sure are goofy when you find them- you are a master!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's apparently very common in older dogs -- particularly small ones -- to lose teeth. My stepmother had her Chihuahua's teeth extracted entirely, but he didn't seem to mind.

      Delete
  23. Poor Olga. Is Dave still off school so that he can handle the vet trip?

    Funny, I thought that I killed my dracaena. A couple years ago, I put it outside, and it grew like crazy over the course of the summer. It was starting to look kind of sad in it's window, so I did this again, and it really looked pretty awful. Maybe the extreme heat was just too much this year. In any case, I brought it home, cut it way back, and the new growth from the base of the plant shocked me. It's going gangbusters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave will be back on Monday but we can drop her off in the morning before we go in. Dracaenas are very hard to kill -- they're sturdy plants! I'm not sure about the prospects for the second plant in this pot. It may be too far gone. (I don't even know what kind it is.)

      Delete
  24. You're the plant whisperer. It will be fine! Reading backwards. I'm glad all went well with the surgery.

    ReplyDelete