Monday, August 26, 2024

Heath Dog


Yesterday, after completing miscellaneous household tasks -- like trimming the garden, lugging two huge newly delivered bags of garden compost from the foyer to the garden shed, and repotting the spider plant that one of Dave's students gave him -- we got ambitious. We decided to take Olga to Hampstead Heath.

I don't think I've been to the Heath with Olga since last February, because it's a long way for her these days. But we could take the train and walk slowly, and that's what we did -- and she managed just fine.


We found some tedious-looking old books set out on someone's garden wall. I told Dave they looked like the bookshelf of Ross from "Friends" (who was supposedly a nerdy paleontologist, even though he obviously went to the gym about five times a week). Surprisingly, two of them were gone when we passed again a few hours later.


We walked up Parliament Hill, where I insisted on taking a family selfie. After all, it's not often I have both Dave and Olga with me. I said, "We have to prove we were all here!" Dave said, "Who do we have to prove it to?" "Ourselves!" I replied.


We walked down the far side of Parliament Hill to the ponds, where we found a wading spot for Olga the water-dog. Then we made our way back to the train.

Yesterday was the first day of the Notting Hill Carnival, which is always a spectacle, attracting something like a million spectators to the streets of Notting Hill in West London. We didn't go, obviously -- we saw enough when we lived above the parade route -- but we could faintly hear the distant music even on the Heath. I detected snippets of sound in our garden, too. The carnival continues today.

Yesterday morning I finished "To Battersea Park." The last part proved as enigmatic as the first three parts, blurring the line between fact and fiction, the pedestrian and the fantastic -- but the writer, Philip Hensher, included a passage that I think explained everything:

A sentence from a novel: Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to see the ice. The novel and the art it embodied, both in those who wrote them and those who read them, was an interlacing of the truth and the invented. What happened passed before the eyes, and it was drab, monosyllabic, solipsistic, inadequate once transcribed; what might have happened stretched out limitlessly, rooted in and always returning to what had been seen.

The nod to Gabriel Garcia Marquez acknowledges Hensher's debt to magical realism. That "interlacing of the truth and the invented" definitely captures the spirit of the book. I liked it a lot.

Finally, last night, Dave and I sorted out our Christmas plans. We were toying with going back to Pevensey Bay, where we spent last Christmas, but "our" cabin wasn't available that week and besides, Pevensey is a bit far with the dog and the pebbly beach is not easy on her feet. So we opted instead for Whitstable, which is closer to London and has a sandy shore. We found a waterfront cabin that looks very colorful and promising and we're excited to try someplace new!

47 comments:

  1. Oh Whitstable! We rented a house there for Shirley's 60th birthday weekend and we loved the place. What was that pub on the beach? Oh yes, "The Old Neptune". You should go there. We walked along the coast to Herne Bay and would have got a public bus back but Ian insisted on taxis. The railway station and the heart of Whitstable are not too far apart. Also - oysters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I'll watch for that pub! And yes, I've heard oysters are "the thing" in Whitstable.

      Delete
  2. That’s a great selfie and I love that first shot from behind Olga. It looks like it was a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day. I always feel good when we can give Olga a special outing.

      Delete
  3. There is a Face Book group called Gay Family Values, where generally older couples show a photo of themselves with a brief bio. The photo of the three of you would be a great contribution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute idea! I guess if I put it on my blog there's no reason I couldn't share it with the world via Facebook.

      Delete
  4. I love the family photo and Olga's wade into the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That top photo of Olga is one of my favorite views - between her ears. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love making videos with her Go-Pro, showing her ears bobbing as she walks! We haven't done that in a while...

      Delete
  6. What a nice, cheerful post!
    I love your plan for Christmas. Nothing like a cozy beach getaway while the rest of the world's gone mad for the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I just can't bring myself to fly and deal with a lot of international drama at that time of year.

      Delete
  7. What a sweet family photo! I'm glad that Dave was feeling well enough to get out and about with you and Olga. Your Christmas plans sound perfect! I've seen several mentions of Christmas on the blogs today! The year is going by too quickly!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like old books but those would not have been my cup of tea. I might have flipped through them quickly to look at the pictures, if any, but that would be it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to see you and Dave and Olga out together on Parliament Hill. It looks like a good day for a walk.
    Here that tiny taste of autumn I mentioned yesterday has melted away again with heat reaching 110 again this week. I thought that was too early.
    I Googled Whitstable and it looks like a very interesting place. Lots of colorful buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's known for its colorful beach cabins, apparently.

      Delete
  10. Your day was filled with good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the family photo! So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it too. It's a rare day when I can convince Dave to allow a selfie!

      Delete
  12. Great shot of ALL THREE of you.

    Quite a distance for the festival music to travel- That must be an intense carnival. One to be avoided for sure. One maniac in the crowd with a knife could very well spoil things.

    Whitstable has the best charity shops in one little town that I have ever been to! Stock up on clothing, fancy clothing, colorful! I stayed in town, at the Allison House. A lovely twee house that smells like old folks. Whitstable -charming , relaxing, Sounds like a great choice, close to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always been a smidgen of danger associated with the Notting Hill Carnival, though I think that's overblown, to be honest.

      Delete
  13. Your day out with Olga sounds absolutely lovely! Hampstead Heath is such a beautiful spot, and it’s great to hear that Olga managed the walk well. Your family selfie on Parliament Hill must be a cherished memento—sometimes, those spontaneous moments are the best.

    The glimpse of Notting Hill Carnival must have added a lively background to your day, even if you didn’t join in the festivities. It’s nice how you captured the essence of your day with a blend of relaxation and a bit of urban buzz.

    Your review of “To Battersea Park” sounds intriguing. The quote from Gabriel Garcia Marquez perfectly captures the essence of blending reality with imagination, and it’s fascinating how literature can explore these themes. It sounds like the book left quite an impression on you!

    Your Christmas plans in Whitstable sound wonderful. The sandy beach will definitely be kinder to Olga's paws, and a colorful waterfront cabin sounds like a charming place to spend the holidays. Excited for you to explore a new spot!

    Read my new blog post: www.melodyjacob.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky that Hampstead Heath is so close to us, though it's just far enough away that it's difficult for elderly Olga to make the walk nowadays.

      Delete
  14. The photo taken from behind Olga's ears is perfect. Absolute perfection.

    Okay, the family photo is pretty good too :D Glad you got to the Heath as a family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the pics! I do love that view of Olga's ears. She's such a goofball.

      Delete
  15. This post was a perfect start to my week! I LOVE the family photo. Tell Dave you had to prove it to us, since we all know him well enough (thanks to you) to know it's a rare event. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your family selfie. How nice to have Christmas plans and to know you'll tell us how it turns out.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel better having a plan. I hate getting caught out after having not made plans soon enough.

      Delete
  17. I assume you know the song Peter Cushing lives in Whitstable..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not! But I looked it up and I will listen to it ASAP! I had no idea Peter Cushing lived in Whitstable. That will make Dave more interested -- he's a "Star Wars" fan.

      Delete
    2. It’s a great ear-worm of a song!

      Delete
  18. Great shot of you! The blog needs family photos. Your Christmas get away sounds wonderful. I love sandy beaches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually hate blogging pictures with myself in them, but I'm doing it more lately, it seems.

      Delete
  19. Sandy beach will be appreciated by Olga. I don't like rocky beaches, either. Too hard to walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how hard the walking would be until last December in Pevensey. I completely demolished a pair of shoes on those pebbles!

      Delete
  20. I love the pictures today. The family portrait is one to be framed. Olga's an old lady now. That picture will be a nice thing to remember her by...in the far, far, far future...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly hope so, but you never know! I was hesitant to buy her the big bag of dry dog food, and then I thought, "That's silly!"

      Delete
  21. I think Olga will appreciate a sandy beach. Whitstable sounds nice. I like Olga in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves the water as long as she's not full-on swimming, or it's not coming down on her. She likes to wade or lie in puddles.

      Delete
  22. Love the selfie! My only knowledge of Whitstable is from watching "Whitstable Pearl." Love the selfie! Notting Hill on a Saturday is crazy enough -- I can imagine the carnival would be overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know "Whitstable Pearl"! I'll have to look that up.

      Delete