Tuesday, August 6, 2024

What's Blooming Now


I've just been reading about storm Debby and I certainly hope all my friends and family in Florida are doing OK. Here in the UK it's business as usual, weather-wise. About 72 degrees and sunny yesterday.

I walked to Camden Market to look through the photographic slides and spent a couple of hours there with my slide viewer, choosing about 60 to rescue. I'll take them for scanning today or tomorrow -- probably not all of them. While I was there, a woman walked up behind me and told her friend that old photo slides, with holes punched in them and strung together, make a great lampshade. I silently thought, "Yikes! I'm glad I got here before you!"

Anyway, here are some photos showing what's blooming in our garden. The "flesh rose" (above; not its real name) is giving us a second flower, which smells fresh and lemony.


The bees are all over the teasels, which are flowering like crazy. We've never had so many teasel flowers in our garden. I really do need to cut some of them down to control their proliferation, but I'm waiting for the flowering to end.


The Japanese anemone is blooming, which is always our sign that it's about time to go back to school. (Next week, for me!)


The geraniums are blooming...


...and the Peruvian lilies, or Alstroemerias, have been going all spring and summer. They are prolific bloomers and never disappoint.


Our passionflower is being passionate...


...and the Inulas are sending up their bright, summery flowers, which radiate like miniature suns.


And finally, the cardoons have burst into bloom, with bees constantly plundering their artichoke-like flower heads.

So, yes, lots of garden activity around here! And there's more -- the Agapanthus, a few other roses, the lingering hydrangeas, the orange crocosmia, the wallflower, the loosestrife...I could go on for ages. But I won't.

As I wrote this post, the fox silently brushed past the open back door. Olga didn't even notice until I got up and closed the door, and now she's eager to go outside. I'm sure the fox is gone by now so I'm going to let her out.

I've been texting with Dave and he's doing fine in Michigan, and I've been slowly plowing my way through "The Woman Who Lost Her Soul." It has gotten much better.

25 comments:

  1. We know how your brother is going to react to this post! By the way how did you know that the woman at the slide shop in Camden Market was called Yikes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've mentioned the Peruvian lilies once before with the alternate name alstromerias, and I commented that I didn't know they were the same plant. I know them as alstromerias and I've heard of Peruvian lilies. So, I have made the same comment again. If I do so next summer, just slap me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Inula..or Elecampane, of the sunflower family I think..gives a nice sunny splash of colour.
    The roots can be used as a dyestuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers must be magnificent when taken in view all at once. As for cutting back the teasels, I’d be waiting for the bees to leave (which I suppose coincides with the end of flowering).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing garden! Wonderful plants. The bees must love it. Back to school so soon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular photography Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All beautiful photos, but that top one is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it is only 72 in England, I'm betting Dave is looking forward to returning. It has been probably our hottest week of the year hear in the Midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lovely variety of flowers, Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden is beautiful. The flowering is prolific and everything is at peak performance. Back to school already signals Summer will soon close.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the comment form looks completely different today. and blogger has made including images much easier recently being able to drag images into the form.

    your garden is at it's peak with so many things blooming. school starts here on the 8th which seems weird to start the year on a Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, your flowers! What a gift to the eyes and to the planet, too, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shots of your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are beautiful shots. All of them are exceptional. My favorites are the Peruvian lilies and the passion flower but that rose photo is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your flowers are glorious!
    Are you ready to go back to the Library and all those kids? Ugh! You are going to be so ready for retirement! LOL
    Tim Walz of MN has been picked for our VP! I was really hoping for Pete, but he will be in due time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like to be sitting in your garden. A lovely temperature and even lovelier view. I'd bring a book and sit quietly with you and Olga.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your garden is full of wonderful flowers

    ReplyDelete
  18. Passionflower blossoms always look like space ships to me. They're so lovely, but unworldly looking. Nice photo of the rose.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful flowers, especially that passionflower. I don't have anything exotic like it-mainly geraniums, petunias, coleus and double impatiens. (which are standard for this area)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photographs are exceptional. I especially like the Peruvian lilies and the passionflower. But they're all great. By the way, based on your recommendation awhile back, I've been reading "Jamaica Inn" and finding it quite good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your garden is looking so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. YP: Yeah, I'm sure my brother is groaning.

    Andrew: Ha! Yes, I do remember you making this comment before. :)

    GZ: I did not know that! It makes sense they'd be related to sunflowers.

    Mitchell: Yes, absolutely, I'm waiting for the bees to be done with them. The burdock, too.

    Boud: It DOES seem soon, doesn't it?! I feel like I say that every year but I swear this summer went by faster than most.

    Sabine: Thank you! :)

    Bob: Thanks! That rose is very hit-or-miss but this time it gave us a nice flower.

    Ed: Yeah, the temperature here is pretty much ideal. I'm sure Dave is sweating! And he doesn't do well in heat.

    Ellen D: Thanks! An ever-changing kaleidoscope!

    Susan: We're pretty happy with it! In fact if anything it's a little too overgrown.

    Ellen: I didn't notice that about photo uploading, but yes, I have noticed that the comment form is different. I guess Google must still have people focused on updating Blogger!

    Ms Moon: I hope so! I hope they're doing our local insects some good.

    Pixie: Thank you!

    Sharon: Thanks! It's impossible to take a bad picture of the Peruvian lilies.

    Marcia: I'm really NOT ready. In fact I'm kind of dreading it. I'm definitely seeing retirement in my future.

    Bug: Thanks, from me and the flowers. :)

    Kelly: The temperature really makes it!

    Roentare: Thank you!

    Allison: Yeah, they are kind of "alien" looking! It's funny that someone saw them and thought religion. That's not what would have come to my mind.

    Margaret: I bet passionflowers would grow in the PNW, though? You all have a climate very similar to ours, I think.

    Catalyst: Excellent! Glad you're liking it!

    River: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your garden is doing well. I have only weeds in mine this year so I'm living vicariously through bloggers' photos!

    ReplyDelete