Sunday, August 11, 2024

Comments, a Cricket and Nicole



I did some cleanup in the garden yesterday and found this little bush cricket hiding under one of the leaves on the phlox. Always good to see wildlife!

Some of you may notice I've made a minor change in the way comments are posted to the blog. I went back to so-called "embedded" comments, which allow me to respond directly below each comment. I used to use this format years ago but some people had trouble commenting -- something about Google and their logins. My impression is that problem has gone away, and switching back to embedded comments puts all the comments on older posts back in the proper order, which is a big plus. Anyway, if you have trouble commenting, e-mail me.

Also, I'm finding that I constantly wind up in spam on other people's blogs. So if you comment here and you're not seeing any return comments on your own blog, it's possible they're in spam. Check your spam folder. (This situation makes me rather indignant, because after eighteen years of almost daily blogging you'd think that Blogger would by now realize that I am a REAL PERSON and not a bot.)


Here's Nicole the Nicotiana and my most successful dahlia, side-by-side. The Nicotiana, a type of ornamental tobacco, has the nicest smell -- a sort of mentholated lemon pungency that emanates from its slightly sticky leaves. But don't worry, I'm not going to smoke it.


I mowed the lawn. Here's Olga before the mowing, looking bored with the teasel forest. I'm kind of bored with it too, to be honest, but I'm leaving them for the bees. (They are covered with bees.) I did mow part of our no-mow grass patch from earlier this spring. Apparently August is the time to cut long grass, because insects have largely stopped reproducing and the grass will have time to re-generate before winter. I may do the rest of it this week (going around the teasels). I want to run it past Dave first.

I also picked up the second batch of Joan's scanned slides yesterday. I have to have two of them re-done because they didn't turn out well, but overall I'm happy with the results and I'll get that gallery posted sometime soon.

Since I had to go to St. John's Wood for the slides, I decided to pop in to school, drop off some of my library books and water the poor suffering library plants. (They needed it, too -- normally the plants get watered by the housekeeping staff, but they've been left high and dry this summer. I think whoever normally takes care of that task must have taken time off.) Now, when we all officially go back to work this week, the library will look more welcoming.


On the way home I found some child's art project out with the trash on the sidewalk -- a fantastic rendering of London landmarks. I kept it and I'm tempted to take it to work and put it on my desk, I love it so much. I'm not sure what the black objects are in the river. But I like the apparently gigantic "bug" west of Buckingham Palace, and the curiously mouth-like St. Paul's Cathedral. Apparently this child is a monarchist -- Parliament didn't even rate a mention!

54 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and innocent painting. The drawing is probably a child's but the writing is more mature it seems to me, I wonder what the story is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The teasels are looking a bit ragged, you'll be glad to mow them down soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are looking ragged! I'm really struggling to keep them!

      Delete
  3. My comments format seems to change at will! But yes, you sometimes land in spam..along with a couple of other regulars!

    Nice to find a cricket..proof that you are doing the right things by the garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found two more this morning as I was clearing some brush. Hence I did not clear much!

      Delete
  4. I don't think it says "bug" - it says "bus" and that is why it has been coloured in red. The artist must be geographically challenged because he has put Buckingham Palace next to the river and has also forgotten London Bridge. The black things might be barges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn it - I thought it was an homage to me, but I think you're right. Humph.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, you're right, it does say "bus." I was fooled by the bug-like shape!

      Delete
  5. I tried the popup comment system years ago and it wasn't great for replying to comments. This is better as I can easily refer back to your post.
    You don't end up in my spam folder but many others do, including daily commenters and my own at times. I'd be very annoyed if paid directly for this service.
    I love the child's artwork. It does at least need Big Ben. I agree with YP about it being a bus.
    The watercraft to the right is boat shaped and maybe the others are barges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you saved the painting! I can never get enough of Olga, although she looks like she’s had enough. Oh THAT Nicole! She’s looking good. The cricket: The magic that lies beneath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a lot of life hiding under things.

      Delete
  7. I love the drawing, and I agree, the writing, with correct spelling, is older. Maybe it was a collaboration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think so! Could have been an older sibling, maybe? It still looks a bit too amateurish to be an adult's writing. (Despite what I said above in reply to Yael.)

      Delete
  8. I'd have saved the srt work too, though now I want to know what the black marks mean.

    Your comments on my blog ALWAYS end up in spam but I pop in each morning, check it, and free your words to the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black objects are very mysterious, especially considering two of them are climbing the bridge.

      Delete
  9. Interesting drawing. I have a number of spam comments (379 I think) and if that number increases, I know a new comment has been shuffled over there. These spams are because I didn't know the little triangle at the top of comments page had more spams in it for ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why keep 379 spam comments? Publish them if they are genuine commenters and delete the rest.

      Delete
    2. Ha! I love that you know precisely how many old spam comments you have!

      Delete
  10. I LOVE children's art. I have a lot of it from all of the years I taught. Some of them I have had framed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose if I knew the kid, I might frame it!

      Delete
  11. I think that's a katydid, not a cricket. and such a small almost insignificant bloom on the nicotiana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're the same thing, or at least related. Here in the UK they're called bush crickets. I always think of katydids as having big wedge-shaped wings, but maybe that's a Florida variety.

      Delete
  12. It's sweet how you want Dave's opinion about the garden. You two really work well together!
    I like the comments moved and hope it doesn't cause trouble for you.I don't know how Blogger works but they seem to make it more difficult than they need to for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I want to at least run it past him. It's his garden too!

      Delete
  13. This child's drawing is so charming! I love the detail and what he/she chose to include (or not!). I've come to check my blog reader spam filter daily. Ironically, even when you show in THAT filter, I get the email notifications and they NEVER go into my email spam. But now and then I have to remind google to send me the notifications. Well, it's free -- I think we all tell ourselves that now and then! Enjoy the rest of Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I check mine daily too. I used to get e-mails about comments but I turned them off. Just too many e-mails. (A nice problem to have, admittedly.)

      Delete
  14. I forgot to say thank you for using the other comment format. It's much easier to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I check my spam folder every day and never once have you been in it! So at least my blog recognizes you very well.
    I do like that picture very much. I wish I knew what those black objects in the river are. The artist was so detailed about everything he/she drew that we can be sure they are meaningful.
    I had never heard the term "bush cricket." I looked it up and yes, that is what we call katydids. I saw one of those here just a few days ago. They seem a bit magical to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's good to know. On some people's blogs I seem to go to spam every time. I always thought katydids had wings?

      Delete
  16. That does say "bus" rather then bug. What is that "shard?" Is it an actual monument?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Shard is a gigantic office tower, a big pointy building that I believe is still the tallest in London.

      Delete
  17. the nicotiana makes a good landscaping plant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was torn between bug and bus in the photo, but I like the idea of bug more. 🙂
    I always enjoy Olga photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I do too! Especially since it LOOKS like a bug.

      Delete
  19. I do like the artwork, I would consider having it framed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'll go that far, but I'll at least put it where people can see it. :)

      Delete
  20. It appears that bug has replaced parliament or is there an implication of an infestation. Wow, your summer break flew by quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I forget to check spam, so thanks for the reminder. I have found my replies to comments in spam, which is just stupid. You and Joanne end up there frequently. So, I need to install a new habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I find my own comments in my spam all the time. It's bewildering! I do check my spam folder daily.

      Delete
  22. Teasels - fancy planting teasels- like planting tumble weeds or equisetum . But one man's weed is another's botanical splendour and it is for the bees! We co care about the bees.
    I had to look very closely to see the invisible cricket or whatever it is. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We planted a couple of giant teasels several years ago, and every year since they've re-seeded on their own. We've never had this many before. I think I need to enact some controls! We also have a few wild-type teasels that I imported as seeds from Wormwood Scrubs, and I actually like them better -- the flowers are purple and more colorful. The giant teasels have white flowers.

      Delete
  23. You do sometimes end up in my spam folder - but it's been a while, so maybe at least my blog knows who you are. Ha! And I love the drawing! You should have it matted & framed (seriously - it would be really cool looking).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'm ready to invest in framing a stranger's art, having just spent a couple hundred quid on scanning a stranger's photos!

      Delete
  24. Whatever those black things in the river are, apparently a couple of smaller ones from the same tribe are climbing the Tower Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love seeing insects in the garden. Bees and crickets are wonderful garden creatures. You've created the perfect environment for them. The child's drawing is wonderful. If you see a frame, it would be lovely framed sitting on your desk. Olga is one happy girl in her garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love seeing insects in the garden and we do everything we can to encourage them!

      Delete
  26. I would guess you end up in my spam folder 75% of the time. You are the only commenter that ends up in my spam folder regularly. I've often wondered what it is that caused you to be persona non grata with blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's rare that you are in my spam folder but others are who have commented for years and have normal names. I could understand if you went by Steverino or something. I enjoy seeing creatures enjoy my flowers and plants. Bumblebees and hummingbirds are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete