Thursday, August 15, 2024

Why Yes, I Am Insane


Yesterday was my last day of summer break. Today it's back to work.

And how did I spend my last day of freedom, you may ask? I took a train to Croydon! South of Croydon, actually, to a community called Kenley.

Remember those slides by Joan Tubbs I recently bought at Camden Market and have written about endlessly? I already mentioned my suspicion that I'd only bought a fraction of her output. I also mentioned that I found a video on social media focusing on her mother's diaries.

It turns out there are multiple videos about those diaries, posted by the company that helped clear Tubbs' house after she died. I had a hunch they might have more slides, so I hopped the train to investigate. I soon found myself in an antique shop talking to two women about my curious quest, and lo and behold, they did indeed have a lot more of Tubbs' photography. (The diaries, by the way, have apparently gone to a museum, along with some of Tubbs' family photos. So that's good to know.)


I paged through the slides quickly -- many are mounted in binders -- and called Dave, asking him if I was crazy to buy the entire lot. He said yes, I am crazy, but told me to go ahead if I wanted them. So I rather rashly did so, even though a lot of them didn't look like quite what I was hoping for. There was a whole kerfuffle with my bank card which I won't bore you with but we eventually completed the transaction. I brought the slides home on the train and sat yesterday afternoon giving them a preliminary look.

The vast majority of them seem to be photos of flowers, mushrooms, lichen and seaweed. Apparently Tubbs was a botany enthusiast (and also liked fungi, sea life and insects and invertebrates). She and her friend Phyl Taylor, who is shown in some of her photos, were members of the Botanical Society of the British Isles. In fact, they are mentioned on page 15 of this 1981 issue of the society newsletter offering traveling photographic courses on natural history to such places as Dartmoor and the Isles of Scilly. Most of these photos appear to come from those trips, with those interests in mind.

She's a good flower photographer, don't get me wrong. But from the standpoint of preserving worthwhile photos, flowers don't interest me much, unless the photos are very unusual or taken in a way that show a photographer's unique perspective. I could go out today and take a picture of the same types of flowers that Tubbs shot forty years ago, you know?

But there are some good slides of people and places mixed in with all the flowers, so my trip wasn't a bust. And the slides that I bought in Camden ran from the early 1960s to the early 1980s, while these begin in the late '70s and continue through the '90s. So this appears to be more of her later output. I will have maybe a few dozen more pictures to scan and add to her eventual Flickr gallery.

I didn't find any more pictures from her trips to Namibia or the Shetlands, and as I said, nothing in this new haul is older than 1977 or so. So I still don't have much of what I suspect I'm missing. Maybe some of her friends already went through her slides and took their favorites, or maybe many were already sold to others. Who knows?


On my way home, this guy was sitting across from me on the tube. At first glance I thought he was holding a real pigeon -- but no, it's a bag shaped like a pigeon. To be precise, it appears to be a J.W. Anderson pigeon clutch bag (price £650), unless it is a cheap knockoff (£26). Given that he's also wearing a Vivienne Westwood "Extra Virgin" t-shirt (originally £180), I'm thinking the bag is the real deal.

I love it when there are interesting people on the train.

(Top photo: A sculpture outside London Bridge station, on my way home.)

46 comments:

  1. It's a crazy thing you have done - that's for sure - but the world needs more of this kind of craziness. People pursuing their passions in a life affirming manner. Joan Tubbs was dead but now she lives again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like treasure hunting, with no economic motive, if that makes sense!

      Delete
  2. I love the pigeon but not 650 pounds worth! However, what’s he doing riding the tube? That was a major haul for you to carry home. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's true! Why doesn't he have a driver? Maybe it IS a knock-off.

      Delete
  3. When I looked at the photo before reading the post, I double-checked to see if it was a real pigeon!
    Haha, so frantic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy maybe, but well done.

    I can't see the point of the pigeon bag...but perhaps it is for show not for the use or practicality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it seems like it wouldn't hold very much! But then, a lot of clutch bags are like that.

      Delete
  5. I hope your first day back is going well! It should be about lunchtime for you right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did indeed go well! Hard to believe summer is already over.

      Delete
  6. Good luck on your first day back. I don't think it is crazy what you did. It almost sounds like an 8 episode Netflix series that begins with the mysterious slides and then evolves into something else as the contents of the slides are examined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm...maybe there's an opportunity for a screenplay here?!

      Delete
  7. Pigeon on a leash? That is something unheard of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Definitely not something I've ever seen in real life!

      Delete
  8. I recall there are such things as slide scanners, but how do you scan slides to turn them into something digital?

    While the lad's clothing and accessories look ok, I don't really get labels and the prices people pay. Hello Andrew, what did you pay for your Rod and Gunn jacket!

    I quite like the metal sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the slides professionally scanned. I could buy a scanner but I think a pro can do a better job, and though it's expensive it does the photographer justice.

      Delete
  9. That pigeon bag is ... something.
    It proves there's a market for everything and a customer for everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's true. When it comes to high fashion all bets are off.

      Delete
  10. Your interest in older photos is a great hobby and having a large collection of JT's work is great. The sights and sounds of riding on the train never fail to surprise. The pigeon clutch is new to me. It does make a statement. You wonder if there is a demand for the clutch and does it have a cult following?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a photo online of Sarah Jessica Parker carrying one. So apparently it has reached that rarified level of fashion awareness! (Which will surely give it a cult following.)

      Delete
  11. If it's bringing you joy, I don't think it's crazy. I find Dave's support sweet, too. I didn't know if you'd see my response on a post from a few days ago... my friend's lollipop plant is a Pachystachys Lutea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! When I was a kid we called that a shrimp plant. The one we call a lollipop plant is Persicaria bistorta.

      Delete
  12. You have definitely gone down a rabbit hole.I have a feeling that you're going to soon be the world's expert on the photography of Joan Tubbs.
    I surely hope that being back at work is nice. Do you have your new notebooks and pens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! And my school clothes! (Actually, I bought no new clothes.)

      Delete
  13. Oh dear. I agree with Ms. Moon. But all is not lost. You could take those botany slides and find the woman who makes lampshades from them and suggest making lampshades with a theme. A fungi lamp, for instance. Or a floral lamp. Etc. Finally, am I the only one who found it hilarious that she worked in conjunction with Phyl Taylor? Do you suppose Phyl's full name is Chlorophyl? No? Just me?

    Well then, I guess you might not be alone in the 'insanity' stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I did not make the Phyl-chlorophyll connection, I must admit. I wonder if her friends ever made that joke? Yeah, I hate to say it, but I think some of this second haul of slides probably could wind up as a lampshade to no ill effect.

      Delete
  14. My suggestion would be to curate the photos into a coffee table book which you sell and make millions of dollars/pounds in royalties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only! Joan's photography is interesting but she is no Vivian Maier.

      Delete
  15. Oh wow, that's a lot of slides but I'm betting you will find some gems in there. I will look forward to looking at your gallery. As for the "crazy" part, there is crazy and then there is crazy. In my book, the crazier crazy is paying 650 pounds for a ridiculous pigeon bag. I can't even imagine!
    Enjoy the first day back at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the slides cost significantly less than £650!!

      Delete
  16. What an incredible labor of love! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun project and indulges my librarian's need to archive valuable information.

      Delete
  17. I agree on the flower photos but I'm sure you'll find a bunch of more interesting ones. That bag, oh, my.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are quite a few others that I definitely want to scan, so all is not lost.

      Delete
  18. The pigeon bag is amusing. When I first glanced at it, I thought it was a pet pigeon. People will buy anything. Do you have a light table for inspecting slides to see if they're worthy of scanning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a light table, but I have a hand-held slide viewer that has been invaluable.

      Delete
  19. The urban anthropologist strikes again. What do you plan to do with these fascinating windows onto other people's lives? I can imagine all sorts of projects, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll just put them online, as I have other found photos, and then store them away. For now, anyway!

      Delete
  20. It's just as well you're back at work before Joan Tubbs takes over your life entirely! Definitely a fun rabbit hole. Maybe there's a Joan Tubbs Fan Club Swap Night?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Digging around, I came across the eulogy given at Joan Tubbs funeral if you haven't already seen it.

    https://www.greathead.org/Tubbs-o/Eulogy.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did find that! I linked it from my original post that mentioned Joan. There's a whole web site there of interesting information and I've traded some e-mails with the woman who created it.

      Delete
  22. That's a bag? You could have fooled me. Somehow I think in your "spare time" you could begin to pen a book on Joan Tubbs. She's pretty interesting. I love a good quest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lord, I don't think I'm ready to take on a book project. I'll leave that to someone else. LOL!

      Delete
  23. I thought that was a pigeon on a leash but it didn't look real and I wondered why someone would put a leash on a fake bird. I also thought that shirt said ex-virgin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I also thought it was real at first. What's interesting is that the bag has that strap, when it's supposed to be a clutch. Maybe the strap is an optional add-on?

      Delete