Friday, August 2, 2024

Old Postcards


Mailed to Paris, December 1909

(In French): "From our father's stopover in Finland, I send you my affectionate wishes a little late for French fashion; but let's not forget that we are in Russia. We continue our beautiful, very interesting journey, have no problems and are in very good health. Russian Christmas 1909 -- A. Lesum"


Mailed from Carnarvon (Wales) to Lancashire, 1906

"Dear Nancy, Pleased to hear you have recovered from your indisposition. Could you not arrange to come over here. It would surely improve your health. I am still having medical attendance with my ears, also boils on my neck. Kindest regards to all, your sincere cousin, Percy."


Mailed to Oldham, August 1915

"Dear Father, Standing very nice on that train hope that you are better and can come tomorrow. It's very nice here. That's all just now from your loving daughter, Frances Delany"


Mailed from Nottingham to Keighley, West Yorkshire, 1904

"My Dear Sisters, Just a postcard tonight. I do hope your cold is better. I have been over this bridge tonight (south) to Bridgford. There was not a sound on the water, different to how this postcard looks now. Best love to you all, Agnes"


Mailed from Malacca (now Malaysia) to Nottingham, February 1937

"Darling Mother, We are having tea on the sea front just near this old gateway -- very lovely spot. Lots of small islands and very old fort. Have motored nearly 100 miles today. Love to all, fondest love to you darling. Mr. S kindest regards. John C."

(All purchased from an antique shop on my recent trip to Hebden Bridge.)

20 comments:

  1. That was a great little selection. It's a pity there wasn't one of Hebden Bridge, but of that is unlikely any would have been posted elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what Nancy's "indisposition" was? I imagine she had had an abortion. The boils on Percy's neck may have been diminished via more healthy eating. However, they might have been a symptom of syphilis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s heartwarming when you collect and share these. I wonder how happy Nancy was to be told about Cousin Percy‘s boils. I love some of the sign offs: “your loving daughter, Frances Delaney” Frances who? And which John, darling mother? John C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these older "travel" postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a terrific selection! I love the old cards. It reminds me -- I have a collection from spots near the cottage. That might make for a fun post! You've found beautiful examples and the messages add such life to them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them! It makes me want to try and find each location and see what it looks like today. I only looked up the one in Morecambe and the clock tower is still there though the pier and building at the end are long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing that these old postcards weren't ever thrown away! I don't think I have any postcards that I might have received in my life. It's been such a long time since I have received any that I can't remember when I last did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was amused by the daughter who signed her first and last name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so great!
    Percy must have been the life of every party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The picture postcards are black and white treasures. The messages are telling leaving much to think about. I do love old photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's eerie to see the postcards from long ago days and read the words of people long dead. Ghosts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tend to moan about cramped airline seats and over-crowded destinations. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it must have been to travel to places like Malaysia and Russia in this era.
    These are great. It's fun to imagine a Russian Christmas back in 1909. Very Dr. Zhivago.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Then and now images would be interesting

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's funny that Frances felt she needed to add her last name so that Dad would know who she is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Steve, Pleased to hear you had such good finds in Yorkshire. Best regards, Tasker.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The retro collection of old time photos are exquisite and special

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was amused to read about Percy and his boils. I think my favorite is the one from Nottingham. The message made me want to see the location without any people!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the first one, the harbour with all the fishing boats. I'd forgotten Malaysia was once called Malacca.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Andrew: I don't really care where they're from or to, as long as they're interesting!

    YP: You are certainly reading between the lines, Mr. Imagination!

    Sabine: Indeed!

    Mitchell: Ha! Percy's boils made me laugh so hard, but I suppose he wasn't laughing. I didn't even think about Frances signing her last name. Ha!

    Bob: It's great to see the exotic ones, especially. Malaysia in the 1930s must have been a travel experience.

    Jeanie: Absolutely! Put them on the blog! I'd love to see them.

    Ed: Yeah, I didn't do that much research. But I know the bridges in Nottingham are much larger these days!

    Ellen D: I have a stack of old mail I've saved but I always wonder why I'm keeping it. I never read any of it.

    Ellen: That IS funny. I didn't even notice it.

    Ms Moon: Ha! Percy gave me a good laugh, that's for sure.

    Susan: There's always an opportunity to fill in the gaps in every message, isn't there? (As YP so colorfully showed us.)

    Margaret: Indeed, they are all ghosts now.

    Sharon: Yeah, the Tsar would have been alive and in power in 1909. Astonishing, really. So much history still to come!

    GZ: Yeah, I didn't get that far. :)

    Allison: So funny! Just being a kid, I guess.

    Tasker: Thank you for the postcard! :)

    Roentare: I love bringing these little bits of history to life.

    Kelly: I know! Agnes did a great job depicting that silent river, with just a few words.

    River: I think Malacca was a city or region in what is now Malaysia. Back then it was part of a British protectorate called the Straits Settlements. (Along with Singapore.)

    ReplyDelete