Sunday, October 19, 2014

An Inspiring Photo Exhibit


Yesterday I decided to get out of the house and go to the Barbican to see a photography show that a coworker promised I would love. Called "Constructing Worlds: Photography and Architecture in the Modern Age," it was a fascinating survey of urban and architectural photography from the 1930s until today. I did love it. In fact, I bought the catalog.

It included work by Stephen Shore, who has got to be one of my favorite photographers. He often employs a straight-on style and depicts subjects similar to those that appeal to me. (Here are some samples from a past show at the ICP in New York that I wish I'd gone to see!) On the other hand, he sometimes shoots scenes that make me think, "Why?" And I love being faced with that question in photography.

So, yeah, I bought a big Stephen Shore book, too.

We were threatened with rain for most of the day, but as it turned out, it never really materialized. I was stressing a bit to get the laundry dry and get the dog out for a long walk, and in the late afternoon Olga and I finally went to play Kong in Fortune Green and walk through the cemetery. Photos to come! I was so glad to be able to spend time with her. I feel like I've been neglecting her a bit, what with all this photo stuff. She was so happy to get out and run herself ragged for an hour or two.

(Photo: Rayners Lane, west London, last weekend.)

3 comments:

John Going Gently said...

Tracey Emin couldn't have set that photo up better

Ms. Moon said...

One of my favorites of the photos you've posted ever.

The Bug said...

It IS a great photo - but I'm pretty sure I'd never get my hair cut at a place called scissor hands!!