Sunday, October 26, 2014

Jiro, and a Selfie


Yesterday turned out pretty well. Same old story -- walked a million miles, took a million photos. This is one of them -- a fun little self-portrait in a decorative mirror outside a shop in Shepherd's Bush. I dig this mirror, actually. Maybe I should have bought it. I think it might be on sale.

Today is more of the same -- my last big push to get photos done before the deadline for Bleeding London. Off to Romford!

Last night Dave and I watched a terrific little documentary called "Jiro Dreams of Sushi," which you should see if you haven't already. It's about an octogenarian sushi chef in Tokyo who has become acknowledged as the master of his craft, and his efforts to prepare his son to take over his tiny, Michelin-starred sushi restaurant in a Ginza subway station. He has what seems to me like a very Japanese approach to life -- maintain a routine, immerse yourself fully in your work, challenge yourself, master your technique. It's inspiring no matter what your craft.

But be warned: It doesn't end well for the tuna.

9 comments:

37paddington said...

I've heard of that movie. Maybe I will look for it on netflix. Thanks for the recommendation. That is some mirror!

A. Jesse Jiryu Davis said...

I've had Jiro recommended to me before -- I really should watch it, huh?

ellen abbott said...

It's on my list of obscure movies to watch.

Reya Mellicker said...

Oh well ... so it goes for the tuna. I will check it out.

A nice choice of the one shot you're using at the Bleeding London show. I would never be able to decide! There are so many good ones.

The mirror is so cool! It sparks joy, eh?

I love Olga in the cemetery. I'm sure the ghosts enjoy her presence as well.

The doors pic is beautiful. Which door would you walk through?

Reya Mellicker said...

Cool dream!

Unspoken said...

hands down, one of the better selfies I've seen! I always appreciate a good recommendation. Maybe during winter break. I'm far from the sea and crave sushi :).

Unspoken said...

http://shewritesherenow.blogspot.com
a link to my blog

Lynne said...

Wow, that photo is FANTASTIC! So, the mirror itself is made of up of lots of side view mirrors from cars? How totally cool is that. What was the sale price? I think you might need this! I know I would be seriously thinking about it.

Again, super shot!

The Bug said...

Love the mirror - what a great picture!