Thursday, May 20, 2021

Fencing (But Not That Kind)


Well, we had an eventful morning yesterday! The fence contractor came to give an estimate for repairing our garden fence. You may remember that one of the fence posts leans slightly in Mrs. Kravitz's direction, and she is not happy. I believe she even sent a legal notice to our landlord, arguing that the fence encroaches on her property. We arranged for her to be able to speak to the contractor, so she could express her concerns.

(I should preface this by saying that in our neighborhood, all property owners are responsible for the fence on the left side of their garden -- thus, the fence that upsets Mrs. K is our landlord's responsibility.)

After he examined the fence from our side and took some measurements, I took him next door to see it from Mrs. Kravitz's patio. She argued for a whole new fence, which has been a long-standing campaign with her, but to my surprise the contractor took her on. He told her that the fence, with a few minor repairs, would be fine and structurally sound. This led to a shouting episode in which she screamed "I AM ENTITLED TO A NEW FENCE!" She said ours is not the kind of neighborhood where people do "cheap repairs," and threatened more legal action. She's obsessed with some cosmetic issues like small gaps in the boards and deteriorated caps on the fence posts (which, to me, look weathered but not bad).

He explained to her that some of her demands are basically a matter of opinion. I echoed that, telling her that we like a more "casual" approach to gardening and emphasizing that the leaning post and a couple of warped panels would be fixed. She insists that all the other fences around her have been replaced more recently, but I pointed out that the fence on our other side was just as old. "Well, you should tell your neighbor to replace it," she said.

"But it doesn't bother us!" I replied.

Anyway, I apologized to the contractor before he left, but I bet he deals with this sort of thing all the time. In retrospect I think he knew exactly what he was getting into -- and, in fact, exactly what the scope of the work would probably be -- before he even arrived. I was surprised he pushed back at her. If I were him I'd have nodded and smiled, and then done whatever the heck I wanted, which is my usual approach to Mrs. Kravitz. But it's just as well that he did.

When we got home from work later in the day, I mowed a sinuous path through our "No-Mow May" lawn from the patio to the bench in back, just to show that its shaggy state is deliberate. I don't want her taking pictures and arguing that we're letting the place go to pot.


At work, I continued to weed our library collection. Here are some other books I've targeted for removal. This one (above) is from 1952! The end papers are covered with cowboys and rocket ships and other mid-century images. It's all very "Make America Great Again," but I don't think we need a 69-year-old book when we have much newer materials covering the same time period.


I'm on the fence about this one. It's a photo essay with accompanying text describing, as the cover says, a day in the life of a Pilgrim boy. It's written in the style of Puritan speech, and thus not particularly easy to understand, and frankly I find the photos kind of cringey. But on Goodreads it has lots of positive reviews and some people say they really liked it as a kid. Maybe I'll leave it.


And finally -- who cares?! I realize our kids weren't even born in the '90s, and their relationship to that time period is a lot like my relationship to the '50s. But if they want to read about Tamagotchi, Nirvana and "Friends," surely they can do it online. (For the record, none of these books have been used in ages, if at all.)

(Top photo: Phone booths in Limehouse, East London.)

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am pleased the contractor survived and triumphed after your cruel and unusual punishment of introducing him to Mrs Kravitz.

That's very interesting about the left side fence. Here it is equal responsibility for fences. I don't know if it is law or custom, but if you have the 'good side' of the fence and it is replaced, the neighbour has a turn at the good side.


I think if a book hasn't been been taken out for a very long time, it is at least of no interest to students and should be replaced by something that is interesting. Mind, I like the look of the last book.

Ursula said...

Just plant a bit of weed (no, not dandelion) on Mrs Kravitz's side. That'll calm her down. Catnip will add comedy to the proceedings.

In the wake of your continued, and commendable, weeding (!) of books I remembered a considerable number of reference books which, a couple of years ago, I had boxed up/didn't know what to do with. Well, my dear Steve, they are all back on the shelf. Why? I hold you and some of your other readers responsible - banging on about everything being accessible on the internet. It took a while to work out why I was feeling uncomfortable with that notion. And then, by Jove, I got it. What IF, should the worst come to even worse, there is a prolonged power cut, computers on strike and taking to the streets? Leaving aside that certain people would struggle with acute internet/blogging withdrawal symptoms where would we look up how to spell "Armageddon"? In your hour of need don't be shy to send me a pigeon post or, if all else fails, a message in a bottle. That'll teach you to rely on technology!

Combobulated, yours,
U

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"Ladies and Gentlemen! Welcome to the West Hampstead Arena for the main bout! In the angry red corner, weighing in at 136 pounds, Mrs "The Legend" Kravitz! And in the subdued blue corner, weighing in at 200 pounds and the current champion of the world, it's Bert "The Fenceman" Smith!"
By the way, was this an uncharacteristic error?..."letting the place to go pot"? Shouldn't it read - letting the place go to pot? Finding an error in the writings of Steve "The Perfectionist" Reed is like finding a Chinese paddlefish - extremely rare.

crafty cat corner said...

Blogland is so wonderful. I was only asking Tom the other day about what side of the garden was out responsibility and he didn't know. You've just answered the question for us. thanks. x
Briony
x

Steve Reed said...

Sharp eyes, YP! This is why even editors need editors.

Steve Reed said...

Well, I hope so -- although I don't know if these are regional rules (by council or even neighborhood?) or national ones!

Steve Reed said...

I figure if anything happens to disable the Internet and/or electrical grid, we'll be worrying about a lot more than the history of "Friends." Or how to spell Armageddon.

Steve Reed said...

The fence guy said the law here is that the good side has to be given to the neighbor. So at least Mrs. Kravitz benefits from that, not that she appreciates it. (I frankly hadn't noticed that we have the good side of the fence on the garden's right side, but I guess we do.)

Colette said...

I commend your for your patience with Mrs. Kravitz.

Ms. Moon said...

That woman! Something is truly wrong within her. Is she married? If so, what is her husband like? Can you imagine what his life must be like?
As to the book on 90's culture- there is some sort of Friends reunion happening. Everything old is new again?

ellen abbott said...

sounds like Ms Kravitz met her match in the fence contractor.

Bob said...

I would think if the fence can be mended, it should be mended, and if the neighbor wants a new one, she should pay for it.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little bit surprised that you have to deal with this stuff. It seems like the kind of thing the owner of the home should be dealing with. Mrs. Kravitz has way too much time on her hands. Her fence worries are probably a distraction from the true discontents of her life. Still, she should have a shouting match with the landlords.

Sharon said...

I'm willing to bet that the landlord gave the contractor a "heads-up" about Mrs. Kravits. You are right, most contractors wouldn't have said anything. That 90's pop culture book kind of made me cringe a bit. You really had to be there.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Oh, I don't know if I would survive Mrs. Kravitz. You're a saint. I can just imagine the content of the book on the Louisiana Purchase. Yep, definitely better left unread these days. Fascinating that Good Reads like's the pilgrim book. That would make me think I needed to keep it, too. And a hardcover book on the '90s. Nope, not necessary.

Beth Reed said...

Yikes Steve, it sounds like you did have quiet a eventful morning dealing with the contractor and Mrs.Kravitz but wasn't it at least amusing to watch the contractor not taking any of her crapola and stand up to her and shout back? I would have loved to be a fly on the wall (Ummm Fence) for that one lol.
It always amuses me how people can get so bent out of shape over the little things. I had a neighbor one who would shoot his BB gun at the birds for landing on his grass. Sadly the police wouldn't do anything about it since it was not illegal to shoot a BB gun in the city limits and it was his property but sheeesh...

I really really think that I had to read the book that you posted, The Louisiana Purchase. The cover looks so familiar and the title does as well. If I am not mistaken we were studying that subject when I was in 5th grade. Students don't even use books here these days. They have laptops and tablets. I am not sure that they even know what a book is.

Have a great day and try to stay out of Mrs.Kravitz way (Smile).

Catalyst said...

I'm curious why all but one of the models in the cover art of the last book appear to be asleep (or in rapture). Perhaps they've been dealing with Mrs. Kravitz.

Margaret said...

We've all had neighbors like that and if they catch me in the wrong mood, they get a telling off. Glad that the contractor did it for you!

The bike shed said...

I think they should duel it out - fence posts at dawn!!!
Books are only of value when they are read - and yet to part is such sweet sorrow...

A Cuban In London said...

Oh, dear! Mrs Kravitz sounds as if she might break into song any minute: "Are you going to go my way?" :-)

Why is Jennifer Aniston the only one whose eyes are open in that photo? :-)

Ellen D. said...

I had a set of those "Landmark" books that I got rid of not too long ago. The history in those is so "white washed" and look at all of the trouble we have gotten into in the US because we haven't told the whole truth all of these years!

Janie Junebug said...

Ohmygod, I'm glad I don't live near Mrs. Kravitz, and I'm sorry she's near you. She would detest me and scream all day.

Love,
Janie

The Padre said...

Classic - Flipping Neighbors - And Those Books, Unreal

Cheers
P.S. Slip A Treat Under The Pink Blanket

37paddington said...

Mrs Kravitz is a piece of work I'd say. Screaming at the contractor that she didn't even hire. Oh my.

My life so far said...

Mrs. Kravitz sounds like an entitled old bitch. I assume she's old but maybe not. I have such lovely neighbors on both sides, it would suck having a horrible neighbor. I think I would want to fling dog poop over the fence into her yard randomly, just for fun.