Friday, May 28, 2021

No More No-Mow May


As you may remember, we've been doing "No-Mow May" this year, which means we haven't mowed the lawn all month. (It's for the benefit of emerging insects.) This is how things were looking yesterday when I came home from work.


Here's another shot from a lower angle. As you can see, the grass was about a foot high in places.


The daisies grew much longer stems, and we've also had at least six ragwort plants appear. I found some fox-and-cubs (I thought it had all died) and yet another teasel. Not mowing definitely led me to notice more plants in the lawn.

BUT...

...things were feeling just a bit too chaotic out there. I felt claustrophobic, unable to walk anywhere but on my single path through the grass. So yesterday evening, I ended May a few days early and mowed.


You've got to admit, it looks better.


As a legacy of "No-Mow May," however, we've decided to leave a corner of the garden unmowed all summer. Three of the ragwort plants are in this zone, as well as daisies and creeping buttercup, and it backs up to "Borageland," our wildflower area. We're also no longer mowing around the bird bath and bird feeders.

All told, we've devoted massive amounts of our garden to insects and wildlife. The rear area behind the bench and shed is full of trees, shrubs and borage (alkanet) that we don't touch at all. That's where the foxes tend to hide out. (In fact I saw a fox trot across the lawn as I wrote this post.)

And the sides, although planted, are full of ground cover that we don't do much to maintain -- so they're basically wild too. Even the flowerbeds in the center and by the back door are not very carefully tended and contain lots of wildflowers like asters and dandelions. I think we're doing our part for the birds and bugs.


Speaking of wild plants, look how big this burdock has grown! Insane!

Anyway, at least now Mrs. Kravitz can't complain about me to the council. Or, I suppose she could, but I think she'd have less of a case.

20 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

The complete no-mow would have quickly gotten to me, as well. I like your compromise.

Tasker Dunham said...

We have a wild patch at the end of the garden so didn't have any qualms about continuing to mow. Only do it about once every 3 weeks anyway.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

One man went to mow
Went to mow a meadow
One man and his dog - Olga
Went to mow a meadow!

Are you familiar with that song?

The bike shed said...

Looking good now - even meadows need mowing every so often. And you've publicised NMM on your blog too which is more than most

Bob said...

I like the No-Mow Patch, but the yard does look nicer mowed; as least to us, the insects like it better the other way!

Mary said...

Given how wet May was I don't think the council would have quibbled with your no mow (much as they probably know/ignore Mrs K, I'm guessing). I do like your compromise.

Ms. Moon said...

I think the combination of mow/no mow areas is beautiful. Some for the wildlife, some for you and Dave and Olga. Gorgeous.

The Bug said...

Your garden looks so inviting! Mown or not mown - green and mysterious :)

Sharon said...

Your garden is really beautiful and full and healthy and colorful. I do like that second photo at the low angle. It looks so wild and untamed. I still think it's fascinating that foxes trot across your yard.

Red said...

Funny how we're obsessed with mowing and keeping our yards free from other plans than grass.

Anonymous said...

I was so surprised to see how tall the grass had grown in one month. Wow! It does look beautiful where you've mowed it. I like the idea of leaving some of it to grow all summer. It will be interesting to see what wildlife it will attract.

Linda Sue said...

I love the growth of course, one because I am lazy, and I love the wild! Pleased that you did a no mow May for the bug's sake, The foxes, the birds, and the happy growing grasses. Our weeds are about four feet tall at the moment.

Margaret said...

I need to mow my lawn! It's not that high but will get harder to do the longer I wait. Insects? Perhaps my younger daughter can send you some of the cicadas from Ohio. They're being overrun!

Allison said...

What is "the council"? Are they elected or appointed? What is the scope of their authority? Can they make the citizens do things against their will? Do the citizens pay for the council? Are they a force for good or evil? So many questions.

My life so far said...

I finally figured out why the name Mrs. Kravitz sounded familiar, the nosy neighbor on Bewitched.

The lawn does look better cut; it was amazingly tall. The yard looks lovely with the wild spaces.

Jeanie said...

You are doing VERY well for the birds and bugs. It does look better mowed, but it really is a wonderful idea to keep it growing for a whole month. And longer in parts for you. I bet it was hard to mow!

Elizabeth said...

What a special and wonderful yard to have right in the heart of London.

Catalyst said...

I wonder what Mrs. Kravitz' yard looks like.

ellen abbott said...

why would the council care how you kept your fenced and not viewed by the public backyard? It does look tidier cut. I like the wildness of the uncut yard in the spring but I also am glad when it finally gets mowed since then the flower beds stand out more.

jenny_o said...

Your yard/garden is such an oasis and looks nice and private.