Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Of Queens and Chihuahuas


As much as I love our garden, we gotta get out and about in today's post. So it's time for another roundup of random photos from my phone.

First, a picture I took because of a debate with Dave. He said he saw an article about the millions of pounds it would take to change out all the post boxes in the UK when Queen Elizabeth dies, because her royal insignia ("ER") is on so many of them. I told him that was crazy, because many old mailboxes bear the insignias of past kings and queens -- like this one around the corner from our flat, bearing the initials of George VI, Elizabeth's father. In fact, we still use mailboxes marked VR for Queen Victoria! So I'm sure no one is changing mailboxes for Elizabeth. I think whatever he saw must have been some kind of spoof.


An intriguing little sticker I saw near Royal Free Hospital. I can't find any references to it online. Maybe someone is just celebrating their chihuahua. The latin phrase translates to "and there was light."


I'm not sure what happened here but it doesn't look good. I'm guessing the wine was involved.


Lost baby Croc!


We don't have any burdock in our garden this summer -- at least, I don't think any of it re-seeded. But Olga found an impressive example in the cemetery. This is probably a relative of the plants we grew, actually -- they came from seeds from a gigantic cemetery burdock.


Remember how I said every time I go to the cemetery I find something new? Well, on our most recent walk I spotted this sculpture. It seems to be inscribed with the initials SUS -- perhaps the sculptor? I don't see any other wording but it faces a headstone for Isabel Wallis, who died in 1923 at age 70. So I'm assuming this is a portrait of Isabel.


These bizarre alien growths are known as nail galls. They form when mites feed on the leaves of a tree -- in this case, a European lime (or linden) -- and secrete chemicals that cause the leaf to grow these spiky projections. They don't hurt the tree and apparently they're a harmless natural phenomenon.


My boss, who is from Minnesota, went home recently and brought a bag of Dot's Pretzels back to London. Apparently they're a thing in the upper Midwest, though I'd never heard of them. In fact I don't even like pretzels, so I wasn't all that enthusiastic -- until I tasted them. OMG, these things are addictive! (And no, Dot is not paying for my endorsement in any way, though if she wants to send me some bags of pretzels I would happily accept.)


Finally, a child's artwork in the window of a local real estate office celebrating the Queen's 70th jubilee. We get Thursday and Friday off this week to celebrate. I guess that's a corgi? I like the bejeweled effect and the felt flag and collar!

27 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

The drawing is adorable (so’s Olga). A big EW to the wine and blood photo. Funny and interesting about the post boxes. I’d never hear of nail galls, nor Dot‘s Pretzels (and I like pretzels).

Frances said...

You are going to get me checking all the post boxes now for the monarch! You are quite right that are are still ones from Queen Victoria's reign around.

Anonymous said...

I remember a Famous Five book crime being solved by an out of date GR on a mail van. Our mail boxes also had the monarch's initial on them but I think those post boxes have all gone.

Not spilt wine but the scene of a terrible crime.

The nail galls are creepy. Next thing it will be triffids.

The 70th jubilee art work is cute.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

How clever of you to make a connection between the wine bottle and the spots of blood on the paving stones! You missed your vocation there buddy. Shoulda been a detective!

Bob said...

Wine, blood, croc on a lamp pole.
Quick someone call Miss Marple!!! Trouble's afoot.

Boud said...

I remember that same debate in the tabloids when the queen acceded. All drama, they're coming for your mailbox! Until calmer souls pointed out they were still putting letters in boxes marked VR., and they still got collected. Nice to see Olga looking good.

Ms. Moon said...

I think someone may have had a nosebleed.
Or not.
That is quite the grave sculpture, isn't it?
Every time I see a single child's shoe somewhere I can just imagine the mother asking, "What happened to your shoe?" and then possibly breaking down because they were new and it's been a very long day and really? Now this?

Debby said...

I was pushing a cart through the grocery aisle and watched a small child run right out of one of his little sneakers. His parents were surprised when I handed it back to them.

Valda Bailey is a photographer, and I was reading about her use of light and focus. Her work is amazing. I wonder if it has something to do with her. Does she have a show perhaps?

Ed said...

I never thought I would be typing this but I have a bag of Dot's Honey Mustard by my chair for those late afternoon snacks.

NewRobin13 said...

Another fine collection of random photos. You do see such interesting things out on your walks.

Ellen D. said...

Perfect posing by Olga with that letterbox! I have a plant that looks like that burdock growing in my garden and I thought it might be a weed. But I love the huge leaves so I am letting it grow. I just googled to see that they have Dot's pretzels at my local store so I may have to try them! Hurray for your Queen! I think she is terrific!

gz said...

That is a beautiful sculpture..makes one want to find out more about her!

No. Letterboxes don't get changed.

gigi-hawaii said...

Interesting info about mailboxes. Gigi hawaii

ellen abbott said...

Did you check out @valdaforever? As usual a fun selection of photos. I like the sculpture in the cemetery, face looking out of stone surrounded and nearly concealed by growth.

Wilma said...

Interesting assortment today! The sculpture is beautiful - the angle of the sun and your POV were perfect for your photo.

Margaret said...

Yikes, I was hoping that was wine and not blood. I love pretzels so I would probably adore these--but what makes a pretzel-hater like them? Are they more buttery or softer than a regular one?

The Bug said...

The post box story sounds like a conspiracy theory - but I don't know what they would hope to accomplish - make sure the Queen never dies?

Linda Sue said...

Interesting mite that makes a pointy thing. something new every day. I love the stone and the art work. Looks as thought the dog fox is loosing its teeth, but then I realized it is slobbering. Cute!

Sandra said...

Hi! I thought I'd stop in. I'm from Minnesota but am out of the loop, as I have not heard of Dot's pretzels. We call burdock cocklebur and my husband goes after it with a vengeance. It knows how to survive! Thanks for the photo stroll.

John Going Gently said...

I adore that sculpture , it’s rather ethereal

Kelly said...

That growth on the plant is really creepy, but I guess there are lots of creepy looking things in nature.

Olga looks might fine in her photographs.

Red said...

You should look in your phone more often for photos.

Sharon said...

That is interesting about the mailboxes. I never noticed that before. I'm going to look for those pretzels. The bag looks very familiar.

Pixie said...

I'm thinking Mr. Pudding could come up with an interesting story about the blood and the wine bottle:)

River said...

The blood looks more like a nosebleed than anything else. I love the stone sculpture and the child's artwork. I've never seen nail galls or burdock leaves before.

Jeanie said...

Our kids are wild about Dot's and they're good -- I'd never heard of them either till our last visit! Love the post boxes and that gorgeous cemetery sculpture. I always have fun watching your walks!

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: The next time you're in the states, look for some Dot's! I'm not sure how widespread they are but they're definitely in the upper Midwest.

Frances: There's even one for Edward VIII down in South London. If they didn't replace that one I doubt they'll replace any of them!

Andrew: Ah yes, the Famous Five! We have those books in our library. No one reads them these days.

YP: Well, maybe connected and maybe not! Does wine cause a nosebleed?

Bob: It was Professor Plum in the study with the lead pipe.

Boud: So funny! I guess this is a rumor that comes around every time there's a hint of change on the throne.

Ms Moon: Yeah, I think nosebleed too. I've been behind baby strollers when the kid has chucked a sock or shoe out the side. Fortunately, the moms have always noticed, but I could see how they might not!

Debby: I also found Valda Bailey when I googled, but I'm not aware of anything happening around here related to her.

Ed: I KNEW you would know Dot's!

Robin: There's always strange stuff out there!

Ellen D: Well, burdock IS kind of a weed, but it's a big beautiful imposing one. We cultivated some because I wanted to have it in the garden last year. The burrs are terrible for getting caught in dog hair, though, just FYI.

GZ: It's very elegant, isn't it?!

Gigi: Yeah, if you come to the UK you'll see that we keep all the old ones around. :)

Ellen: I tried checking it out but I could't find anything by that handle on either Twitter or Instagram (not via Googling, anyway).

Wilma: Perhaps that's why I noticed it when I hadn't before -- the light was right.

Margaret: Yes, they are buttery and seem a bit spicy, even. I don't like most pretzels because I associate them with being very dry and just super-salty but otherwise flavorless.

Bug: Probably just get people outraged about ridiculous government expenditures, even if they aren't real!

Linda Sue: LOL! Yeah, I noticed the slobber too. A nice touch. :)

Sandra: Yes, burdock is very tenacious. We have a different plant in Florida that we always called cocklebur, Urena lobata (also ceasarweed or Congo jute).

John: It's nice, isn't it? I'm surprised I never noticed it before.

Kelly: Yeah, I think the fact that we perceive it as creepy says something interesting about humans. I guess we're programmed to find lumps and growths kind of scary.

Red: I have a ridiculous number of photos in my phone!

Sharon: Yeah, it's cool to walk around London and notice the variety and age of the postboxes.

Pixie: He seems to want to try!

River: Yeah, I agree. I think someone had a nosebleed.

Jeanie: I guess Dot's are "the thing" now!