Sunday, May 8, 2022

Scaredy Cat


This cat lives down the street from us, and every time I walk by with the dog it's crouched down on the windowsill, giving us that wide-eyed look. It cracks me up. There's just something about its expression that seems so alarmed. Maybe that's just its face -- but then again, I suppose indoor cats have all the same fight-or-flight responses as the rest of the animal world, and since they're never in any true danger they "invent" some from whatever they see out the window.

I spent yesterday at home, doing lots of little tasks. I did three loads of laundry and took Dave's shirts to the cleaners. I also picked up the blue Etienne Aigner suit from Bob Stoodley's trunk, which I'd had cleaned, and took it to a charity shop. So now that's out of my life.

I walked Olga, who I was prepared to take to the cemetery or even the Heath, but she seemed content to wander around the neighborhood. She is definitely showing her age.

I vacuumed the house and trimmed some stuff in the garden and moved the avocado tree outside for the summer:


That orchid in the avocado's pot was outside only momentarily. Speaking of orchids, as I've mentioned before, the orchids on our dining room windowsill are struggling with an infestation of scale. I gave them all a last-ditch treatment with bug spray -- I did it in our shower so as not to contaminate the garden, hopefully not poisoning myself in the process -- and gave them a good watering. I also once again cleaned the windowsill to remove the "honeydew," as the sticky excretions from scale insects is so poetically called. It's pretty disgusting and I'm on the verge of throwing them all out. I probably just need to stay on top of that situation better.

I also finally got to read some of "Bel Canto," Ann Patchett's book from about 20 years ago that I've been meaning to read pretty much ever since it came out. It got a lot of accolades at the time but I just never picked it up before now. I think I had the idea that it was some kind of opera-based romance novel, but in fact it's a hostage drama, which is much more interesting.

In the evening we watched a mediocre movie on Netflix called "How It Ends," starring Forest Whitaker. Boy, is his career in the crapper. The movie was about some apocalyptic doomsday event that causes societal collapse, and a guy who's stranded in Chicago has to make a dangerous overland journey back to Seattle to find out what's happened to his pregnant fiancee. Whitaker plays the fiancee's father, who lives in Chicago and goes along for the ride. There's a lot of tiresome macho posturing, and I was annoyed because (spoiler alert) the movie never explains the apocalyptic event -- so, despite the title, we never in fact learn "how it ends." Don't promise what you can't deliver!

23 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

That cat cracks me up, too. As for scale, it’s so tough to get rid of. We finally gave up on our nearly ceiling high cactus. Had to clean the scale by hand weekly. I’ve read the best solution is to remove the plant form its pot, clean the roots and transplant with new soil. Even then there’s no guarantee; with the giant, deadly cactus it just wasn’t worth the work or risks to ourselves. Of course, you’ll probably find a way with the orchids.

River said...

If you have any energy left after all that you could come and vacuum my place. It needs doing but I can't be bothered.

Anonymous said...

Bad housewife not washing and ironing her husband's shirts.

I suppose the last thing you could try with the orchid is to cut the leaves off at ground level.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

The honeydew left on window ledges by scale insects is delicious on buttered toast. You just have to scrape it up.

By the way, is that Mrs Kravitz's palace to the right? Perhaps one day you could snap a secret photograph of her?

Bob said...

That cat looks like a cousin to Mitchell's Dudo and Moose, and that cat is probably what that dog had to do to get outside.
Forest Whitaker had such promise, and he's still good in some things, but maybe these others he takes for the money???

Boud said...

Scale and other hysteria is why I can't be bothered with orchids. I have a visiting one which I'll be happy to return to the owner when he gets back.
I agree about Bel Canto. For years I thought it was about boring entertainers, ny least favorite fictional characters, and found it was much better. She's a good writer with lousy titles, also book jackets. I thought the Dutch House was about the Nazi occupation, from both title and jacket, and found it was quite different! And the Hanks audiobook lifts it up to excellent.

Ms. Moon said...

Oh, that cat! What a face! I think she may be a drama queen.
I have read Bel Canto with my eyes and also listened to it. At least once. It's a good one!

Pixie said...

Thanks for the movie review, we'll pass. I looked up the reviews and they all pretty much say the same thing.

We have a cat like that, who stares out the window, waiting to take on all comers.

NewRobin13 said...

That's a very cute cat in the window. Do you ever wave to her and shout out "Hello Kitty."

ellen abbott said...

Minnie was content with a fairly short walk though we went in the opposite direction we usually go. It's been really hot here, in the 90s already. I read Bel Canto years ago and enjoyed it. In the garden, I'm battling white fly on my camelia. It was so infested last year that it only gave me two flowers. I'm using insecticidal soap that lists white fly specifically. I finally bought some new thinking the old stuff had lost it's oomph.

Michael said...

I like the photo of the avocado tree with Olga in the background!

Red said...

You cover a lot of territory in this post. You also were very busy with all the things you did around your place.

Ellen D. said...

I am surprised to hear that your orchids are infected. You had so many that were looking so beautiful! Hope you find out how to save them.
I always like to see Olga laying out on her blanket while you work in the yard! So sweet!

Sharon said...

I see that Olga is helping you in the garden.
That movie you watched sounds terrible. I think I'll skip it. I watched "Love Punch" last night. It's starring one of your neighbors and Pierce Brosnan. It was pretty awful too. It's not like either of those two to make such questionable movies.

Kelly said...

I always heard good things about Ann Patchett's novels, but the only one I read I really disliked. (Commonwealth) It was a pick for our bookclub and none of us ended up liking it!

Olga looks so sweet lying in the garden.

Marcia LaRue said...

If you end up giving up on your orchids ... Go to Amazon and look for silk orchid arrangements ... They are beautiful, look real and are quite affordable! I have 3 of them and had a deep purple one sent to my daughter in law for Mother's Day ... She loves it and she won't kill it!
I also have a real orchid that blooms every February or March ... so far it doesn't give me any problems!

Margaret said...

Cats tend to look freaked out or angry most of the time. :) You got so much accomplished! I'm sitting here in my chair over my third cup of coffee, feeling guilty. However, I did a lot of weeding yesterday and my body is definitely feeling that. I didn't enjoy "Bel Canto" although I love Ann Patchett; it was a DNF for me. "State of Wonder" was excellent though.

Allison said...

That was no nice of you to have the suit cleaned before donating it.

Janie Junebug said...

The cat does look alarmed, as if the sight of Olga might cause Her Majesty The Cat to fling herself on her back in a faked faint. I love Bel Canto, and, in general, like Ann Patchett's books. I haven't read them all, but I count six on my shelves. Some actors win Academy Awards and then never do anything of real interest again.

Love,
Janie

Catalyst said...

I think the reason you didn't "get" the apocalyptic event was because the movie makers figured since you weren't wearing that blue panic suit, you weren't ready for it.

We watched a movie about Marilyn Monroe's death and then the first episode of "Inventing Anna" last night. Both were entertaining.

Catalyst said...

Oh, make that "diverting".

Debby said...

I love that line: "I suppose indoor cats have all the same fight-or-flight responses as the rest of the animal world, and since they're never in any true danger they "invent" some from whatever they see out the window."

Explains xenophobia pretty well, doesn't it?

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: I don't think I'll ever entirely defeat the scale, but I think I CAN keep knocking it back. Unless I get sick of trying.

River: Ha! Weirdly, I love vacuuming. It's like recreation for me.

Andrew: I don't do shirts! I don't iron anything, in fact.

YP: That IS Mrs. Kravitz's place! But I'm definitely not taking her picture. LOL

Bob: Maybe that's it -- the expression on the cat's face isn't fear, but envy? I think Whitaker is a good actor but, like Nicole Kidman, he seems to have a tendency to choose bad projects.

Boud: Funny how that happens with some authors -- their titles and covers let them down. I suppose that's really the publisher's fault.

Ms Moon: That cat is DEFINITELY a drama queen! LOL

Pixie: Some courage might come from knowing they're unreachable behind glass!

Robin: She always looks so terrified I'm afraid to move too quickly.

Ellen: I've never heard of an insect infestation on a camellia. I thought they were notoriously tough plants!

Michael: Olga seems so comfortable, doesn't she?!

Red: Yeah, I'm kind of all over the place in this one.

Ellen D: They STILL look beautiful, or at least the flowers do. I think the scale is just a long-term problem that I need to keep knocking back now and then. The plants are in a bit of a seasonal slump at the moment, maybe because they're exhausted from flowering.

Sharon: My ever-present gardening assistant! I think I'll skip "Love Punch." I'm not sure I've ever seen a Pierce Brosnan movie I've liked.

Kelly: Good to know about "Commonwealth." I've heard other mediocre reviews of that one.

Marcia: I think part of the problem is we have so many plants (seven) packed onto one windowsill, and like any monoculture, that tends to lead to pests.

Margaret: Now THAT's interesting. You're the first Patchett reader I've met who didn't like "Bel Canto." That seems to be her best-known and most-appreciated book.

Allison: Well, it needed it! Otherwise I think they'd have just thrown it away.

Janie: Louise Fletcher! (Not to name names.)

Catalyst: I have that Marilyn Monroe movie bookmarked to watch, too. Years ago I read the Anthony Summers book that it's based on, and it was really good.

Debby: IT DOES! That was an excellent connection!