Thursday, February 27, 2014

Newly Green Nessie


Now that you're all caught up on China, I'll fill you in on what's happened this week.

First of all -- jet lag. Ugh! I have been fighting it for two weeks now, first from flying in one direction and then the other. My body doesn't know which way is up. All I want is to be able to sleep through the night, and not wake up at 3:30 a.m. with my body on red alert because it thinks I've slept until practically noon.

Dave and I went to see "Dallas Buyers Club" on Sunday. I loved it. I thought Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto both did outstanding jobs. Who knew Leto would make such a convincing drag queen?


Remember Sidewalk Nessie? While we were in China, someone decided to take some paint to her. Now she really stands out!


In other news, for reasons that I can't go into here, I am once again scheduling substitute teachers for the school where Dave and I work. (You may remember this was my job last year, before I went to work in the library full-time.) It's supposed to be a temporary arrangement, but we'll see! I can handle 1 1/2 jobs, plus take care of Dave and the house and the dog -- right?!

(All photos taken this week in Notting Hill, within a few blocks of our flat. The "LOVE" graphic in the top photo apparently comes from Love magazine -- which seems more about fashion than love.)

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I haven't seen that movie, yet, but I'm excited to do so. I'm not a big Matthew Mc. fan, but everyone says he's just amazing.

And I say that you can do it ALL. Just don't give up walks and taking photos for us.

Reya Mellicker said...

I, too, suffer terribly from jet lag. Our bodies have no idea how to integrate the time difference. It ain't right, I tell you.

You took the subway in Beijing. You are a god. I, too, love public transportation but in China? Oh my.

Ms. Moon said...

That movie is not one you walk out of and forget, is it? You just have to talk about it. Read about it. Think about it.
Jet lag is real and let's face it- our bodies are not truly meant to travel such distances in such short periods of time. We're just not there with evolution yet and I don't know if we ever will be.
Good luck with trying to keep up with all the busy-ness of your life. I'm sure you can do it but I'm with Elizabeth- don't stop walking and taking pictures for us. "Scum don't read." Indeed.

ellen abbott said...

Haven't seen it yet. re the 1 1/2 jobs...just read an article by a woman who read a book by another woman who called that 'leaning in'. the problem with leaning in is that eventually you have no time for anything especially not yourself and any leisure activities, are too exhausted to do well the stuff you have committed to do, and it leads to 24/7 on the job all the time. this is not healthy but our culture frowns on relaxing and having unscheduled time. she was advocating leaning out.

Lynne said...

What a great storefront! LOVE it. :)
Sounds like a lot to put on your plate. Hopefully it's only temporary.

That's kind of a lurid green for Nessie. I bet now she gets noticed a lot more.

Sharon said...

I wonder what it is about 3:00 in the morning. When I was in London I kept waking up at 3:00 AM. Then when I got home I still woke up at 3:00 AM. I guess it's the body's way of saying it's confused.

The Bug said...

Love the love graphic! I want a t-shirt with that on it :)

Well I HOPE this is just temporary for you! But I like that when they had a need they thought, "let's use that guy who did such a great job before!"

Linda Sue said...

No you can not... you must elliminate something, not Olga and not Dave...