Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Imperial


Dave and I bought gas the other day at a garage where this car was parked, waiting for service. I don't know much about cars, but I couldn't resist taking a few pictures because it was so cool. Imperials are Chryslers, aren't they?

Every once in a while I find myself photographing old cars. I don't really like them mechanically, but I appreciate the mid-century design.



This one reminds me of a line in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" -- when five cars full of comedians are racing down a desert highway at the beginning of the movie, in search of Jimmy Durante's buried treasure. Ethel Merman says to Milton Berle: "We're in the Imperial and we're last?!"

5 comments:

The Bug said...

I vaguely remember that movie - it was a hoot!

I'm car clueless. Perhaps Dennis knows what brand (model? make?) it is.

Mark said...

After reading the first couple words of your post I momentarily had the notion that you'd *bought* yourself an old Imperial ... and I swooned with jealousy. :)

And yep, they were made by Chrysler ... their competition to the Caddy and the Lincoln. Great cars, in their day.

Merle Sneed said...

Those cars were stylish, but they were also wasteful and deathtraps.

Barbara said...

One of my favorite cars was our 1955 Dodge Royal Lancer, in two shades of green and white. (I had a bicycle in the same color scheme, which as a 6-year-old I considered very cool.)

I just realized how much I had missed in your life, being away for the past 2 weeks. I'm so glad you are now employed and you have a spiffy new Honda which is totally yours. I'm sorry Ruby is declining, but that's just what happens to old dogs. Our 12-year-old Jake doesn't have anything apparently wrong with him, but he has slept non-stop since we came home. Sometimes I rub his tummy just to reassure myself that he's still breathing.

e said...

Great photo. Sorry about Ruby...Is it strange having a car again?