Wednesday, August 11, 2010

New Car, New Job


Meet Florence, my new baby!

Florence is a 2010 Honda Fit Sport. I bought her yesterday after Dave and I took her for a test spin at our local Honda dealership. I'd seen Fits on the road and I liked their look, and I've long been a devotee of Hondas, so I didn't have too much trouble making a decision.

When I was car shopping, the only other serious contender was the Toyota Prius. The Prius got better gas mileage -- about 50 mpg to the Fit's 30 or so -- but it was considerably more expensive. Plus, it wasn't a Honda.

So here I am, the owner of a new car! I paid cash for her, too, so I've avoided having a car loan, which is always a plus. Florence is mine outright.

Which brings me to my next big news -- I have a job! And I mean a REAL job, a full-time staff reporting position with benefits. Woo hoo! As I hoped, my freelance gig at the local news blog led to a job offer as a reporter with one of the nearby newspapers. We have a verbal agreement and I'm going in to meet with the HR folks tomorrow.

It pays less than I made at my previous employer, but I don't have Manhattan expenses anymore, so I'm not worried about that. And it will be terrific to get back to writing and reporting and covering a beat -- all the things I missed as an editor. I'm very excited.

I'm also hugely relieved. I was more worried about being jobless than I even admitted to myself. Now that this offer has come, I feel like I've been able to exhale for the first time in months. I can plan trips and buy clothes without angsting over the expense. And having benefits is a huge plus that will keep me in much better financial shape.

A car and a job, all in one day! Wow!

9 comments:

The Bug said...

Woo hoo! I love the car. I might have to look at it for when it's time to trade the Saturn. My dad has a Prius - I keep trying to get him to give it to me. No dice, so far :)

But the best part is the job - I'm very excited for you!

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

Congrats on the job, Steve ... wonderful news! And yeah -- being a beat reporter has got to be way more fun than being a cubicle-dweller. I'm always a little envious of the ones who work for my local paper, despite the fact that they continually misquote me. :)

And that's a very shiny car, indeed! As a long-time Toyota partisan, though, I think you should have gotten the Prius. :-p

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I'm still thrilled with my new Subaru (altho it is a year old now) Been enjoying road trips.

Congrats on the new job also!

Anonymous said...

Ps Glad to hear you paid in full for beautiful blue Flo.
paying cash is the ONLY way I'd buy a car--those payments are not for me!

37paddington said...

Omg, Steve, what a summer you've had. Leaving the city for realz, getting hitched, traveling, buying a car, and a new job! Life at full tilt! Congrats, congrats!

Merle Sneed said...

Steve, concrats all around. We have owned a bunch of Hondas and they have all been wonderful.

lettuce said...

:-D

Tom said...

shiny! I hope you two are very happy together.