Wednesday, May 2, 2012

From Drought to Flood


This was the scene Sunday near our tube stop, Notting Hill Gate, after a huge metal scaffold covering the side of this building was blown down by high winds. Fortunately the collapse occurred at 3 a.m. and no one was hurt. I'm surprised we didn't hear it, even though we live several blocks away.

The weather here has been crazy recently. Some parts of England have had a month's worth of rain in a single day, according to the Daily Mail, which has some amazing flood photos. London had 5.2 inches of rain in April, about two and a half times the historical average. Nationally it was the wettest April in more than 100 years.

That's why I keep posting all these photos of clouds and gray skies. I mean, April showers, OK -- but this is ridiculous.

Nothing's changing in the immediate future, either. Today is supposed to be gray, tomorrow and Friday we'll have more rain, and it's cloudy through the weekend.

Fortunately I've been able to get out and explore a bit during brief sunny spells, and today I think I'll walk over to Trellick Tower and look for new graffiti. (Graffiti photography is actually best done on cloudy days, when shadows don't fall across the art.) Rainy days are always a great excuse to stay in and read, too, so I'm getting lots of reading done!

Yesterday I lugged some terra cotta pots back from the hardware store and repotted some plants on our balcony -- the geranium I've been trying to root, and our new tomato plants. Dave is determined to grow tomatoes on our usually sunny balcony, and our neighbors Chris and Linda abetted this plan a few weeks ago by bringing us several tomato seedlings. They'll be out of the reach of our local foxes, but what about the pigeons?

No comments: