Thursday, October 29, 2009
New York has been rainy and gloomy this week. I’ve been enjoying my new desk by the window, though. Rain outside makes me feel cozy inside, even when I’m at work.
Here’s a little update on things:
1. My friend from Tampa, who I was so worried about offending, answered my note of apology yesterday. Among other things, she said, “Honestly, I have no memory of you saying that. If I got mad every time somebody from New York said something obnoxious about Florida it would take an awful lot of energy. You like tall buildings, I like seeing stars at night. To each his own.” Well, amen to that! Funny how I produced a crisis in my mind that apparently didn’t exist at all. Have I learned nothing from my Zen practice?
2. I’m reading “The Story of Edgar Sawtelle” and loving it. I’m about halfway through, and I literally can’t wait to come home at night and read.
3. Last night I got a free ticket, courtesy my friend Bill, to see “Superior Donuts,” Tracy Letts’ new play on Broadway. It is EXCELLENT. Letts is a brilliant playwright. Never a dull or dragging moment, and terrific performances all around, led by Michael McKean.
4. My stalker has yet to identify him or herself.
5. Jesus sums up the health-care industry.
(Photo: Bank window, E. 27th Street, Oct. 2009)