Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Aftermath


I'm happy to report that the carnival didn't prompt any violence or looting -- at least, as far as I know. That's not surprising given the huge police presence on the streets yesterday. Of course, most people were there to have a good time, and that seems to be what they got.

The streets were awash in trash by last night, but in the middle of the night I heard bottles and cans clanking around, and looked out the window to see guys with brooms sweeping it all up. By this morning the streets were just about as clean as they began.


As for me, I enjoyed a renewed sense of freedom this morning. I took a long walk across Hyde Park to Belgravia, a neighborhood I'd never visited, and then walked across to South Kensington and back home. All told it took about three hours, but it was great to just be outside!

(Photos: I found this painting/collage outside an elementary school in Holland Park last week. Looked liked it was being thrown away, unfortunately, but at least it gets a last gasp of life through my blog.)

No comments: