Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Nasturtiums


The sun was shining yesterday and the temperature was beautiful, hovering around 80 degrees, so I went for a long walk to the west of our neighborhood, through Shepherd's Bush, Hammersmith and Earls Court. I'd never been in those areas, and it was great to explore for a few hours.

One of my favorite sights was this pub, its window boxes overflowing with nasturtiums. I've long loved nasturtiums -- they're one of my favorite flowers. While living in Florida I tried several times to grow them, but never succeeded. I think the heat and sun in the South are just too intense. So, in any case, I always get a kick out of seeing nice ones, and these were spectacular.





Maybe I should give nasturtiums another try, now that we're in London? They'd provide an interesting garnish for Dave's cooking!

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Yes, yes, yes to nasturtiums! They have wonderful, colorful edible flowers.

Linda Sue said...

They grow here like weeds and take over, reseed, and grow everywhere.

Betty said...

Love them. So colourful and easy to grow in London. Do you have any garden space with your apartment block or a window box?

37paddington said...

i love clicking to make your photos large and then studying the details. lovely captures here. i also love being introduced through you to this new world of yours.

Steve Reed said...

Linda Sue: I've heard other people say they grow like wildfire, too. Wonder what I'm doing wrong?!

Betty: We do have a small outdoor balcony.

Gary said...

I love edible garnish.